Author Topic: Phoenix Trade, One Shot and Rebuild  (Read 2596 times)

Phoenix Trade, One Shot and Rebuild
« on: December 02, 2011, 04:51:50 PM »

Offline fugazzi24

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 17
Nash, Gortat and Warrick for Rondo and O'Neal

Reasons for Phoenix

The Sun's get a young PG who is under contract to build around, instead of losing Nash for nothing this summer.  Also they get rid of Warrick's contract which although it is not that bad ties up cap space.  Obviously losing Gortat hurts, but getting Rondo is more important.

Phoenix Lineup 2011
Rondo/
Carter (Will be waived)
Dudley/
Frye/M. Morris
Lopez/O'neal

2012 they have lots of Cap space a great PG to play with and solid hard working role players in Dudley and Frye.  Plus maybe the Clippers pick from the Celtics.

Reasons for Celtics

You have a pass first PG who can shoot and really spaces the floor.  Gortat is a tough, rebounding Center that would be great next to KG.  Warrick is nice back up with athleticism and you can trade BBD for backup SG/SF. 

Conclusion

The Celtics get one shot at the title and then everyone either moves on or signs at a discount to stay in Boston. 

I see Ray Allen staying in Boston for a low price, as his family lives in CT and he can distance his 3pt record. 

Pierce is under contract and you have Gortat in the middle. You will have Jajuan Johnson in the post next to him as a KG-lite type player.

The Celtics would have plenty of cap space still and could chase, Paul, Williams or another star player.  I would suggest signing OJ Mayo to start at the SG and then trying to sign a star.   

Lineup 2011 Celtics
Nash/Bradley/Moore
Ray/Delonte/Moore
Pierce/Green/
KG/Johnson/Warrick/Green
Gortat/Johnson/Diop

Lineup 2012
Bradley/Moore
Mayo/Ray
Pierce/Green
Johnson/KG"maybe"
Gortat/Diop

The lineup in 2012 is not great but you have to rebuild and get lucky sometime. 

Re: Phoenix Trade, One Shot and Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 05:11:37 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't see Nash as lasting too much longer.   Gortat is ok but Rondo at this point has as much more upside than Nash.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 05:14:29 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I dont see Nash, at this stage in his career, as an upgrade over Rondo. Gortat + Nash < Rondo also...

Just my opinion but I dont think it is a good deal for short term, and you are leaving it up to free agents coming here for the long term.

The only way you unload Rondo before the start of this season is if you get better for both this year and the future

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 05:15:57 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
I don't see Nash as lasting too much longer.   Gortat is ok but Rondo at this point has as much more upside than Nash.
Agreed.... I actually cringed when I read what we would get in return and the kicker...... I could'nt look at Gortats ugly mugg 4-5 nights a week.... yuck the thought of that makes me cringe... no GAG!!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 05:38:56 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Agreed.... I actually cringed when I read what we would get in return and the kicker...... I could'nt look at Gortats ugly mugg 4-5 nights a week.... yuck the thought of that makes me cringe... no GAG!!

Phoenix wouldn't trade Gortat if it was also moving Nash, honestly.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 05:39:14 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Nash has GREAT court vision, can hit the j's and is a very very good passer.  But his defense has never been good and now he is a liability .  With the correct team (kidd like) he can still help but he is a serious downgrade from rondo.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 12:14:43 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Sorry but you must be kidding. Rondo is the third best PG in the NBA right now.

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 01:06:30 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Rebuild with which of those Phoenix players you have mentioned?

Definitely not with Warrick and Nash. Gortat? Not the guy in that team that can bring you deep in the playoffs. But he would be ok with our team if Rondo stays. Unfortunately, the proposal is to give Rondo away.

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 04:34:23 AM »

Kiorrik

The one upside I see here, is that our big three will then have another reason to go for a title: to get Nash one.

Wouldn't it be cool if the Celtics were the place where old people go to get a title? :)

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 11:25:16 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This trade is terrible for the Celtics. Trade our PG of the future to get Nash for a year. For "one more shot at the title"? I love Nash but Rondo certainly gives us a better shot at a title this year than Nash would.

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 11:39:16 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This trade is more to "reload" than to "rebuild".

If I knew the NBA was going to close its doors permanently next season, I would probably do this deal.  Gortat would be a big help up front, and offensively, Nash is better than Rondo (although much worse defensively).  Overall, this probably makes us slightly better.

Going forward, though, we lose a lot of quality.  I'd rather keep Rondo, and Phoenix would probably rather have Nash + Gortat.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes