Author Topic: Wishful thinking about the CP3 / D12 / Deron situations  (Read 18565 times)

Wishful thinking about the CP3 / D12 / Deron situations
« on: December 02, 2011, 11:04:14 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Step 1:  The Hornets decide that Rondo is the best they're going to do on the trade market.  They send CP3 here, in return for Rondo, Bradley, a couple #1s, and some salary filler

Step 2:  Things drag out in Orlando.  Orlando either holds onto Dwight, or deals him to New Jersey.  The Nets, despite having Deron and Howard, have a high-conflict season.

Step 3:  The season is over.  Deron Williams quickly bolts for New York, worrying that CP3 will beat him there. 

Step 4:  Howard is now the only superstar on the Nets.  He decides to opt out of his contract, and signs in Boston alongside CP3 and Paul Pierce.

Step 5:  KG and Ray re-sign with the Celts for veteran minimum deals, accepting smaller roles on a championship team.

So, I know this is the 100th time we've all seen the same thing.  Is there any chance of Deron taking CP3's seat in New York?  And would Deron/CP3 and Howard choose Boston to play together, rather than NJ?

I think this is at least in the realm of possibility.  It's the reason why I think Danny *has* to land Chris Paul (or Deron).  Otherwise, the chances of Howard signing in Boston are pretty much zero, I think.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Wishful thinking about the CP3 / D12 / Deron situations
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 11:09:24 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I still cannot understand why NYK would target a PG instead of the most dominant big man in the league. Dwight Howard should be their #1 target.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 11:10:42 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I still cannot understand why NYK would target a PG instead of the most dominant big man in the league. Dwight Howard should be their #1 target.

I've gotta agree there.  They can pick up a decent point guard with their "room exception".  The smart move would be to sign D12.

That said, they seem to be focusing on a point guard.  I definitely hope that continues to be the case.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 11:12:39 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Are they hesitant to move Amar'e?

Because I don't think Howard is going to take a big salary cut to go to New York, if that's the case they'd have to move Melo or Amar'e to get Howard.

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 11:15:12 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Are they hesitant to move Amar'e?

Because I don't think Howard is going to take a big salary cut to go to New York, if that's the case they'd have to move Melo or Amar'e to get Howard.

Lol oh well. It's a no brainer to me. Howard is superior to both.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 11:19:25 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

I've gotta agree there.  They can pick up a decent point guard with their "room exception".  The smart move would be to sign D12.

That said, they seem to be focusing on a point guard.  I definitely hope that continues to be the case.

I think the chances D will leaves 46 million on the table are the same as CP3. Zero. Unless NY trades Melo or Amare I don't think they get any of those guys. Neither NO, Orl, or NJ will trade those guys to NY for what Billups and Toney Douglas? Lol No way. Might as well just try and call their bluff and see if they are really willing to lose 26 million by going to a team like Boston next year or 46 million by going to NYC before accepting a deal like that.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 11:24:06 AM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Is there a ESPN insider who can cut and John Hollingers trade scenarios for D-12 and CP3 ?
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 11:40:03 AM »

Offline KP43

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • THE BIG3: 9, 34, 5
Doc's gonna tell you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear.

Yeah iknow, my username is Kendrick Perkins and my ranking is Jeff Green. Ironic huh?

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 11:51:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Pretty improbable on any level but we can all dream once in a while.

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 11:54:37 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Is there a ESPN insider who can cut and John Hollingers trade scenarios for D-12 and CP3 ?
Sure give me a moment.

Not copying them all, here are some of the highlights:

Dwight Howard and Hedo Turkoglu to the Lakers for Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol, Andrew Goudelock and the Lakers' first-round picks in 2012 and 2014.

I like the two offers above better, but the Magic would have to at least consider this one. Ideally L.A. would put Bynum and Lamar Odom in the deal and keep Gasol, but that's not a winning bid because both will be free agents in two years, leaving the Magic going through this whole song and dance all over again.

That's why I think the only deal with the Lakers that really works would be for L.A. to offer Bynum and Pau Gasol, and as good as Howard is, I suspect the Lakers would be reticent to include both bigs in a deal like this.

This also has the side effect of killing the Laker-land fantasy of getting both Howard and Paul by trading Gasol and Bynum. They need Gasol and Bynum just to land Howard, and they aren't getting CP for Lamar Odom.
Chris Paul and Trevor Ariza to Boston; Rajon Rondo, Avery Bradley and Emeka Okafor to Indiana; Brandon Rush, Darren Collison, Paul George, Roy Hibbert, Glen Davis and Boston's first-round pick in 2012 to New Orleans.

We know that CP isn't gung ho about going to Boston, but consider this provocative question from our J.A. Adande: Would Boston rent Paul? The risk isn't as high as for some other squads: Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen both have expiring deals, and the Celtics could be in position to completely start over after this season even if Paul leaves, with only Paul Pierce under contract.

The other piece that needs to happen is Davis agreeing to a sign-and-trade; the LSU product would have a starting gig waiting for him in New Orleans, so I imagine he'd be amenable.

There's also a risk here for the Pacers, who would be cashing in most of their young-talent chips to get Rondo. Ideally they'd do this deal without the de facto Hibbert-Okafor trade, and I'm sure they're very reluctant to part with a rather talented young wingman in George. However, there are several combinations of outgoing players from Indiana that make this deal work (one that's intriguing: including New Orleans-raised Danny Granger), depending on the tastes of the Hornets and Pacers. I have to think they could agree on something if the basic parameters worked for all three sides.

While I think this deal is unlikely, Boston is the one team most likely to pursue Paul without a contract extension, and a three-way deal with Rondo is probably how it would go down
Chris Paul, Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza to the Clippers for Eric Bledsoe, DeAndre Jordan, Chris Kaman and Minnesota's unprotected 2012 first-round pick.

This is the best deal on the board for the Hornets, allowing New Orleans to dump all their contracts, get a likely high lottery pick and add a young building block center and a developing point guard. As with the Howard deal above, New Orleans will lobby for Gordon and the Clips will resist. Also, as with the one above, Jordan would have to agree to a sign-and-trade.

But the real problem for the Hornets is that this deal is only second in the Clippers' hierarchy, and while in their fantasy world they would get Paul and Howard, back on this planet they almost certainly only have the goods to do one or the other. That means the Clips will only pursue this deal for Paul if Howard is off the table.

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 12:07:03 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
IF we managed to trade for CP3 before season tips off could we then trade him before the trade deadline if he indicated he wouldn't sign an extension the next summer?

Or should you wait 6 months ?

I'm thinking like if we got CP3 and Ainge found out after sitting with him he wouln't resign we could try to trade him to the Clippers for the Minny pick, yeah Sure they could sign him as a FA but that's an uncertainty and he likely would take less to go to NYC, but he is said to accept signing an extension with the Clippers, so we might end up with two Picks in 2012 draft, so hopefully Ainge's plan is to have this one and a backup plan if CP didn't sign the extension.

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 12:08:16 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
http://www.iamagm.com/news/2011/12/02/source.claims.pretty.strong.chance.nene.signs.nets
Excellent news. I hope that happens.

I want to see Nene leave the Denver Nuggets. That franchise is going nowhere. I'd love to see him spend the next few years on a team that could actually do some damage in the playoffs.

A Nene + Brook Lopez frontcourt in addition to Deron Williams is a very strong base to build around. It'd give the Nets a real chance at developing a Championship caliber nucleus.

Plus, it'd harm the Nets 2012 cap flexibility which would aid the C's 2012 FA hopes. Win-win-win.

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 12:10:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Plus, it'd harm the Nets 2012 cap flexibility which would aid the C's 2012 FA hopes. Win-win-win.

That all I care about.  Them signing Nene would make it hard for Howard to go there, making the Celtics (hopefully with CP3 on board) that much more desirable.

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 12:17:49 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
http://www.iamagm.com/news/2011/12/02/source.claims.pretty.strong.chance.nene.signs.nets
Excellent news. I hope that happens.

I want to see Nene leave the Denver Nuggets. That franchise is going nowhere. I'd love to see him spend the next few years on a team that could actually do some damage in the playoffs.

A Nene + Brook Lopez frontcourt in addition to Deron Williams is a very strong base to build around. It'd give the Nets a real chance at developing a Championship caliber nucleus.

I imagine the Nets' plan, if they sign Nene, would be to trade Lopez + picks for Howard and use Nene as a PF alongside Dwight.

That would be a very impressive front-court, with Deron Williams to create looks for them.  If DH doesn't end up on the Celtics, I'd love to see him playing on the Nets alongside Nene and D-Will.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 12:27:06 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Sure give me a moment.

Not copying them all, here are some of the highlights:

Chris Paul, Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza to the Clippers for Eric Bledsoe, DeAndre Jordan, Chris Kaman and Minnesota's unprotected 2012 first-round pick.

This is the best deal on the board for the Hornets, allowing New Orleans to dump all their contracts, get a likely high lottery pick
Wow, that is a really good asset.

I had forgotten they owned Minny's pick. That should be a top 5 pick next summer.

That pick combined with Eric Gordon plus some nice young talent is a heck of a trade package.