Author Topic: CP3 wants to be traded to NY and/or to play with Dwight Howard (merged)  (Read 8762 times)

Offline dtrader

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Amare, Paul and Anthony don't even win the East. Lack of defense and a poor coach in D'antoni.

This is somewhat true, but probably doesnt have any impact on the CP trade.  I havent heard him say he wants to go there because theyre the best team.  He wants to play with his friends, and loves NY.  Plus, I think most players see Dantoni as a great coach to play for.

Offline mcshane41

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
Isn't Howard the real key to all this? Why trade for CP3? There will be two top PG's available in free agency, so who ever corners the DH12 market will have their pick of the PG's...

To me the 2012 draft will be key for these star losing team as a rebuilding plan. Trade your star now, tank it be assured a great pick, even if you only get pick 4 or 5! The Celtics can offer a legit start over package to Orlando - think about it, if they deal Howard they can shoot for the #1 pick, and have our two picks in the 2012 draft to boot. Three 1st rounders in the best draft in years, plus whatever assets they can flip Rondo for, or just Keep Rondo and build around him as PG. Tell me that's not an attractive alternative to letting him walk.

I think we can get Howard from Orlando and he'd give the big 3 as good a chance of a ring this year as CP3 would. Plus, you'd still have the cap space to land one max player (40M in salary with PP, DH & rookies) with 19M in cap space if we decline Bradley's option or trade him. Maybe he won't sign an extension but with bird rights via the trade we'd have the best offer for him $$ wise plus the room to bring in one of the two elite PG's, We'd force our way into being the hub of the FA scene...

Offline MF Doom

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
Forget Chris Paul! Not because he supposedly doesn't want to play for us, but because he is not a Celtic! Man competitiveness has become a lost art in this league. Rondo nearly snapped his arm in half last season and came back the next game! He's a proven all star caliber facilitator. His shot did somewhat show improvement last season, and even if it isn't as good as other elite point guards, we should be looking to surround him with shooters for the future. This formula has worked before, hence the 2008 championship. If CP, Melo, Lebron, and other stars want to join each other and become butt buddies, then so be it.

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
TP Doom!
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Forget Chris Paul! Not because he supposedly doesn't want to play for us, but because he is not a Celtic! Man competitiveness has become a lost art in this league. Rondo nearly snapped his arm in half last seasgon and came back the next game! He's a proven all star caliber facilitator. His shot did somewhat show improvement last season, and even if it isn't as good as other elite point guards, we should be looking to surround him with shooters for the future. This formula has worked before, hence the 2008 championship. If CP, Melo, Lebron, and other stars want to join each other and become butt buddies, then so be it.

First and foremost, homophobia is not cool, so watch it.

Second, loyalty and competitiveness is all good and well, but winning is what ultimately matters.  Talent is what gets you wins.  We all may resent the knicks if we choose, but if they have more talent going forward their fuuture will be brighter, and all we will have is the pride to say we stuck with our guy.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
With all the news coming out with this Chris Paul situation, I now believe even further that the Celtics are the most likely destination for him if he were to be traded. New Orleans HAS to trade Paul, there is no way they can't if they care about their basketball team. (Which its owned by the NBA so they are going to care about making money off of it.)

It's clear that Paul wants to be in New York, so alot of teams with younger talent right on the cusp of being competitive will shy away from a deal with him because they'd be in fear of losing him. Main example: Would the clippers really be willing to lose Eric Gordon for Paul who would possibly leave after the year? Probably not. Specially when they have two decent PG's already in Bledsoe and Mo Williams. Also see: Golden State (Stephen Curry.)

The Celtics are in the best position because no matter what, if they keep Rondo or if they get Paul, after this season they will be in rebuilding mode anyway with a whole crapload of cap room to go after free agents. The Celtics, with a third team involved are going to be able to willingly offer New Orleans the best package because they arent mortgaging their future for possibly a one year plan in Paul and shipping off Rondo. (This part is opinion because I don't believe Rondo to be a cornerstone of a franchise, rather he is just a good piece of a puzzle)

Even if Paul won't sign an extension I think the Celtics should do the trade anyway. Paul gives the Celtics the best chance to win a title this year as his scoring abillity takes so much pressure off of the rest of the starters. He is also a good playmaker, is not a good of off ball defender as Rondo but I believe he is about just as good as an on ball defender. I think the biggest difference it makes is rebounding on the offensive end. Instead of teams being able to clog the paint, they'll have to help onto Paul, helping clear the paint and make offensive rebounds easier to come by.

Trade for Paul for the year, try and convince him that Dwight Howard is a true possibility for next year and maybe he stays. If not, maybe you can convince Deron Williams and Dwight Howard to team up. But the best deal for Boston is to trade for Paul now so if they were to extend his deal; they can go as far over the cap with his deal as they want because he is their player. They sign Howard with him, and get Ray/KG to sign on for vet friendly deals and you are contending again.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 02:28:09 AM by JOMVP »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
It sounds from this story as if the Paul to NYK angle has been misleadingly played up by his agent, who is also 'Melo's agent.

Also sounds as if Boston is the most viable place for Paul and Howard to land together, and that they both have this good-sized incentive to get S&T'd in a hurry:

"There’s a reason Paul would want to go now and not wait until 2012. According to the new tentative CBA, if Paul is traded before Jan. 1, he could retain Bird rights with that new team and sign a lucrative extension deal spanning five years after the season. If he waits until the summer, he can sign with the Knicks for four years but at less-than-the-max, about $13 million."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/no_big_easy_street_q3e0esgw50jgacI9FuxHlM#ixzz1fNyPonuR

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I am getting a little tired of that "I want to play here, I want to play there" shtick. It's too bad the new CBA wasn't able to put an end to this nonsense.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Re: CP3 wants to be traded to NY and/or to play with Dwight Howard (merged)
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2011, 03:43:38 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Chris Paul may love the idea of playing with good friend Carmelo Anthony in New York, but a source familiar with Paul's thinking said the New Orleans Hornets point guard knows being dealt to the Knicks is not a realistic possibility.

"He has not asked for a trade to the Knicks because he knows the Knicks don't have anything to offer," the source said. "He wouldn't insult the Hornets by doing that."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7306176/source-chris-paul-knows-new-york-knicks-lack-trade-assets

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Rondo nearly snapped his arm in half last season and came back the next game!

Correction: the same game  ;) 

I really like Rondo but Paul is the better player and would fit better with the Big 3 at the stage where they can't give us 60+ pts night in and night out anymore.  If we can get him (huge if) I expect Danny will, and it'll be the right decision.