Author Topic: Cramps: what to do?  (Read 5799 times)

Cramps: what to do?
« on: December 01, 2011, 06:00:59 AM »

Kiorrik

Yeah, so, I'd like people personal opinions because I'm all done with all those doctors and the lot. (No offense Bahku lol)

I've been told so many things, have read so many more... can someone please tell me a good way to prevent cramp?

Playing basketball in 2 recreation leagues, I have about 2 to 4 games a week, and since last year, I've been getting cramps. My diet hasn't changed much (I think) other than maybe a few less eggs. I get the cramps either after the game when I've showered, cooled down, and sit on the couch or at the computer (upper legs, calves, feet, toes), OR during games (calves).

So, has anyone experienced this? Is it an age thing? (I'm turning 30 next year, but have Asthma ) Or maybe it's because sometimes I play basketball for 4 hours straight?

Re: Cramps: what to do?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 06:54:08 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
When I get muscle cramps I drink a V-8.  It is loaded with potassium and really helps with them. 

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 07:41:10 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Yeah, so, I'd like people personal opinions because I'm all done with all those doctors and the lot. (No offense Bahku lol)

I've been told so many things, have read so many more... can someone please tell me a good way to prevent cramp?

Playing basketball in 2 recreation leagues, I have about 2 to 4 games a week, and since last year, I've been getting cramps. My diet hasn't changed much (I think) other than maybe a few less eggs. I get the cramps either after the game when I've showered, cooled down, and sit on the couch or at the computer (upper legs, calves, feet, toes), OR during games (calves).

So, has anyone experienced this? Is it an age thing? (I'm turning 30 next year, but have Asthma ) Or maybe it's because sometimes I play basketball for 4 hours straight?

You need to stay hydrated, both during the games and afterwards.  some people use a recovery drink or gatorade, but i normally just use old fashion water.  Another tip, stretch, especially afterwards.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 08:37:20 AM »

Kiorrik

Dagnabbit. I was afraid of that stretching one. Hate that part. Guess I'll give it a go if the water doesn't work well enough.

Hydrated is a solid point. I always bring at least a bottle of water, 1.5 liter. I guess that's not always enough.

If anyone else has any other experiences btw, gimme more :p

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 08:48:38 AM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
Eat bananas. I'd eat a few before playing.

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 08:56:17 AM »

Kiorrik

Eat bananas. I'd eat a few before playing.
Yeh, I bloody wish. I'm allergic to fruit. Bummer˛.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Try walking, barefoot, on a tile floor (or at least hard surfaced floor).   Helps with foot cramps.  If you are on the court when it happens, take you shoes off and stand up (on the sidelines, of course   ;) )  That, plus the potassium thing.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 09:06:53 AM »

Kiorrik

Try walking, barefoot, on a tile floor (or at least hard surfaced floor).   Helps with foot cramps.  If you are on the court when it happens, take you shoes off and stand up (on the sidelines, of course   ;)
Yeh, that one helps great - but only after the fact. If you'd happen to have something to prevent it as well, Boots, that'd be sweeet! :D

Btw, do you reckon it works because the tiles are solid, or because they're *cold*? I keep hearing people say "stand barefoot on a cold floor".

Not that it matters, as long as it helps :D It actually works too if you just push your foot against a wall. Useful for when you're at a wall desk ;)

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 09:16:15 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
The surgeon told me when I start to cramp when I dance, chew a couple Tums (for the calcium.)  It works for me, but I don't know if this is a thyroid specific thing or a general cure.  I suppose it would be a cheap thing to try, to see if it works... (do you have Tums in Australia?  It is a little antacid tablet with calcium?)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 10:22:11 AM »

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218

You need to stay hydrated, both during the games and afterwards.  some people use a recovery drink or gatorade, but i normally just use old fashion water.  Another tip, stretch, especially afterwards.

Yeah, gotta stay hydrated. Drink 64 ounces (eight glasses) or more of water per day. It seems like a lot and that it wouldn't do much for you, but I believe it helps. It can't hurt you though, so give it a try  :)

Also, definitely stretch after your workouts. Doing so will keep your muscles loose. DON'T stretch before you work out or play. You're prone to injury when your muscles aren't warm.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 10:43:04 AM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
two things.
1. a rule of thumb-if you don't have to go to the bathroom at halftime you aren't hydrated enough. If you don't have excess liquid in your system, cramps are a reality.

2. massage your muscles BEFORE you start to cramp to keep everything loose. Learn the proper pressure points and you will save yourself a lot of problems. Most of us have no idea how tense our muscles are even in a relaxed state. When someone who knows what they are doing gives you a massage, you almost levitate off the table when a "sore" spot is hit. Massage keeps things from getting worse. (by the way, being able to give a good massage is a hit with the ladies so learn how-smile).

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 11:04:14 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
most important thing is stay hydrated...drink plenty of water
eat food with potassium: bananas are good source
other food with vitamins and fiber will also help: fruits

stretching everyday between 15-30 min definitely helps

I also foam roll to get some tension out...

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 11:25:21 AM »

Offline Employee8

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
I've had cramps once or twice but ever since I got serious about staying hydrated, I haven't experienced them since then.

Obviously you know about staying hydrated before and after games but the whole day leading up to the game is critical as well.  There's a new study that says drinking 64 oz of water per day is baloney.  Just drink anytime you're thirsty and if you aren't, don't drink anymore.  But of course you're going to get thirsty so drink water when you do.  Stay away from soda, coffee or anything caffeinated.  If you're heavy on it, cut back.

And an hour before a rigorous exercise, drink 30 to 40 ounces of water.  That'll push your hydration level a little above that normal, then when you start playing and sweating, it'll drop and that's when you drink water during the game.

Cramps aren't fun.  Hopefully this helps!

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 11:51:39 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
PICKLE JUICE  :)

Not joking. Read this link and do a little more research on it.

http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/pickleJuice.htm

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 04:13:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes