Author Topic: The Trade exception from the Marquis Daniels trade  (Read 5260 times)

Re: The Trade exception from the Marquis Daniels trade
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 06:22:36 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Sorry to pick this out of the entire thread, 'cuz it's relatively minor, but I don't get the "less minutes for Ray" thing. He shot a career high, and has been playing big minutes for like, ever. Why cut his minutes? He's doing fine? Just needs to dribble a bit less perhaps? And note, his percentages are a career high - and it's not Scalabrine we're talking about either, so a career high for one of the game's all time best shooters. Why make him a sixth? :x

Sorry if I'm ripping stuff outta context there guys.

I agree with making him the sixth man for the season. John Havlicek and Kevin McHale are two of the greatest players of all time, both played as sixth men.

Ray heading to the bench would not only help rest him, but it would also strengthen the bench. Not to mention that it would allow a young player to develop in the regular season... and give us quality youth in the playoffs.

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 06:36:30 AM »

Kiorrik

Sorry to pick this out of the entire thread, 'cuz it's relatively minor, but I don't get the "less minutes for Ray" thing. He shot a career high, and has been playing big minutes for like, ever. Why cut his minutes? He's doing fine? Just needs to dribble a bit less perhaps? And note, his percentages are a career high - and it's not Scalabrine we're talking about either, so a career high for one of the game's all time best shooters. Why make him a sixth? :x

I agree with making him the sixth man for the season. John Havlicek and Kevin McHale are two of the greatest players of all time, both played as sixth men.

Ray heading to the bench would not only help rest him, but it would also strengthen the bench. Not to mention that it would allow a young player to develop in the regular season... and give us quality youth in the playoffs.
I'll reluctantly accept that "play time for young the 'yunguns'" argument. It's a very valid point.

The reluctance stems from being a big fan of Allen, and not wanting to see him play less ;)

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 10:09:47 PM »

Offline gotjoker?

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8

Exactly, my point...  Allen is the oldest of the three All-Star veteran players on Boston and, as I'd pointed out, he has averaged the second most minutes during the regular season three years in a row.  This can't continue...  You must have the foresight to understand this if you're Rivers and Ainge.  Allen's playoff experience is more vital to this team.

Yes, the temporary lockout has decreased the number of regular season games this season but not by much.

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 10:34:43 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
The difference with Ray and with McHale and Havlicek is that Kevin and Hondo were largely 6th men early in their careers and later became starters. It's harder when it's the other way around. And remember how Ray got rattled when all the trade rumors were floating around 2 years ago. If anyone shouldn't have his routine changed, it's Ray.

Red Auerbach did once say it doesn't matter who starts a game, it matters who finishes it.  However, I'd also add, though, if your goals are to rest Ray more, bringing him off the bench doesn't do anything. If Ray needs to play fewer minutes, he can do that as a starter just as easily as a bench player.

I think the real issue is going to be rotations. Doc's biggest problem is mass substitutions where he waits too long to rest any of his starters and is stuck bringing in an entire second team or overplaying a tired starter. If he instead took Ray out 6 minutes into the 1st quarter, he could get him some early rest and have someone to play early in the 2nd quarter. 

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 11:49:39 PM »

Offline gotjoker?

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
In my opinion, Allen is the most apt to be receptive or open-minded to a reserved role than Pierce or Garnett.  I don't know this...   I'm just saying...

From his quotes, I take Allen to be an intelligent and selfless person as well as player.  He understands the bigger picture more so than basketball fans.  I took this in mind when I chose him to come off the bench.  And it makes sense at this point in his career anyways.

I concur.  I mean look at Jason Terry with Dallas.  He gets thirty plus minutes a game and often has a statistical card that reflects this.  But then, Dallas didn't really have one shooting guard who was entrenched in their starting lineup since Michael Finley.

On the possibility of coming off the bench next season: "To me, however I can help the team, it'll figure itself out. One thing in regards to Jeff is, whatever I can do to make him better and to push him and play the best that he can. It's weird that guys have always looked at it like coming off the bench is such a bad thing. I know we went through the situation with [Allen] Iverson, he didn't want to come off the bench. But, you've always worried more about who finished games, but more importantly, when you're on a winning team, winning the game is the ultimate objective, so that's my primary concern. I want to win.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4684978/allen-leftovers-bench-option-lockout

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 12:30:19 AM »

Offline mcshane41

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
An untalked about asset that 2.3M exception. Very nice job on this thread idea.

Dallas, like us, is very close to the 74M tax line. They might want to dump Rudy Fernandez and his $2M salary on us to access that full $5M Mid level if they couldn't retain Tyson Chandler. They do already have Corey Brewer signed for several years.

Rudy could be a very useful bench scorer for this team, he shoots. Shooters are always worth having around. He's on a rookie deal still so it isn't a long term deal.