Author Topic: The Trade exception from the Marquis Daniels trade  (Read 5265 times)

The Trade exception from the Marquis Daniels trade
« on: November 30, 2011, 08:27:17 AM »

Offline gotjoker?

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
First, let me preface this by saying that this is only my suggestions and I'm not saying that all teams involved will agree to these ideas.  Actually, this is more wishful thinking...  Or a more conservative approach to trades and free agency.  So I'm ignoring the Rajon Rondo trade rumors.  Personally, I don't want to trade Rondo.

Trade exception - acquired from Sacramento in the Marquis Daniels trade.  It's worth $2.3M.

Courtney Lee  - $2.2M (one year remaining with a qualifying offer)

Boston could try to acquire Courtney Lee from Houston in exchange for their trade exception.

For Houston, the absence of Lee can free up minutes for Terrence Williams to develop behind Kevin Martin and Chase Budinger.

For Boston, the addition of Lee affords you the option to start him ahead of Ray Allen.  In my opinion, Allen needs to come off the bench playing twenty plus minutes during the regular season and thirty minutes during the playoffs.  He's an ideal sixth man.  Moreover, Allen has finished second in average minutes played during the regular season for three straight seasons.

2010-2011 - 36.1 MPG (Rondo 37.2 MPG)
2009-2010 - 35.2 MPG (Rondo 36.6 MPG)
2008-2009 - 36.4 MPG (Pierce 37.5 MPG)

http://www.celticstats.com/season/0809.php

Moreover, I would make competitive offers to Thaddeus Young and Carl Landry and reasonable offers to TJ Ford and Aaron Gray.

I'm not sold on Bradley and/or Moore becoming your backup point guards to Rondo.  Hence, my interest in Ford.  I prefer having Landry to Glen Davis and Young to Jeff Green.  However, if it isn't feasible to sign either Landry or Young, then I re-sign Green and let Davis sign elsewhere.  Brandon Wright is another free agent option but to sign him and JaJuan Johnson would be redundant.  Between Kwame Brown and Aaron Gray, Gray could come cheaper than Brown.  See, the center question is going to be hard to address by Ainge.  I really dislike doing it by a committee.

4 - Kevin Garnett
3 - Paul Pierce
5 - Jermaine O'Neal
1 - Rajon Rondo
2 - Courtney Lee - acquire

Ray Allen
Avery Bradley
JaJuan Johnson - sign
E'Twaun Moore - sign
Thaddeus Young - offer (RFA)
Carl Landry - offer (FA)
TJ Ford - offer (FA)
Aaron Gray - offer (FA)
Open roster spot
Open roster spot

Thaddeus Young, SF: Young is the kind of young, athletic forward the Celtics desperately need. At 6-feet-8-inches he’s long enough to cause problems on defense, and he’s come into his own as a scorer, averaging 12.5 points in his four-year career. The Sixers are stacked at his position with Andre Iguodala and Evan Turner, so they may let him walk, though it’s unlikely he’d come to Boston cheaply.

Carl Landry, PF: Landry is an undersized power forward in the Glen Davis mold. The players’ heights relative to their position are where the similarities end, though. The 6-foot-9-inch Landry is a natural scorer, averaging 15.8 points and five rebounds for the Hornets in last season’s playoff series vs. the Lakers. If Davis ends up elsewhere, Landry could slide into his role. The big question with Landry might be his affordability.

T.J. Ford, PG: This probably works only if Delonte West doesn’t return to Boston. With Avery Bradley still a bit green, Ford would be a suitable backup to Rajon Rondo until Bradley could work his way into the rotation.

http://bostonglobe.com/sports/2011/11/29/what-free-agents-might-celtics-target-for-new-season/U9T9FDkMRmiTjQfqNJOYVO/story.html

Re: The Trade exception from the Marquis Daniels trade
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 08:48:44 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I don't believe anyone is sold on Bradley or Moore as a backup PG.  Popular thinking seems to be that DW is a simple but fragile solution for that.

And I think you've got to think more S&T to get the additional players they want.

But some interesting ideas.  I like Courtney Lee, though I have a hard time imagining the Daniels TE would be the best they could get for him.

Also, given the quick season start and signing advantages, I think they may be thinking about more recycling (e.g., Daniels himself?) for the end of the bench.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 09:52:56 AM »

Offline gotjoker?

• Payton Pritchard
But some interesting ideas.  I like Courtney Lee, though I have a hard time imagining the Daniels TE would be the best they could get for him.

Both of these articles pertain to Chicago but they're both on the topic of making a decision to acquire either OJ Mayo or Courtney Lee via a trade.  Or, go a different route to address your starting shooting guard need.

Assuming that this indeed happens, the writer makes an interesting point.  However, in reference to Boston, Lee is an ideal match and worth trading for.  I think he's the frugal buyer's choice.  What I like about him is that he's young, he's a capable defender, a good free throw shooter, he possesses three-point range and he has experience being a starter with Orlando.  The question is, how to acquire him if you're Ainge?

I've a feeling that Brandon Roy could top the list of the list of those shooting guards to possibly see themselves on new teams.  Corey Maggette, Richard Hamilton, Mike Miller and Ronnie Brewer are other possible candidates.

Still, if I'm Ainge, Courtney Lee makes a lot of sense for Boston.

Finally, because of the amnesty clause, there will be several shooting guards bought out relatively soon. That means that the market will have more shooting guards available, and by the rules of supply and demand that means the cost of the shooting guard will go down.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/936805-chicago-bulls-why-a-trade-for-oj-mayo-or-courtney-lee-is-not-the-best-option

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/958234-bulls-trade-rumors-the-only-two-trade-rumors-worth-keeping-an-eye-on

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 11:03:16 AM »

Offline Inside-Out

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Could we pick up someone like Dahntay Jones from Indy?

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 11:12:56 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Both of these articles pertain to Chicago but they're both on the topic of making a decision to acquire either OJ Mayo or Courtney Lee via a trade.  Or, go a different route to address your starting shooting guard need.

Assuming that this indeed happens, the writer makes an interesting point.  However, in reference to Boston, Lee is an ideal match and worth trading for.  I think he's the frugal buyer's choice.  What I like about him is that he's young, he's a capable defender, a good free throw shooter, he possesses three-point range and he has experience being a starter with Orlando.  The question is, how to acquire him if you're Ainge?

I've a feeling that Brandon Roy could top the list of the list of those shooting guards to possibly see themselves on new teams.  Corey Maggette, Richard Hamilton, Mike Miller and Ronnie Brewer are other possible candidates.

Still, if I'm Ainge, Courtney Lee makes a lot of sense for Boston.

Finally, because of the amnesty clause, there will be several shooting guards bought out relatively soon. That means that the market will have more shooting guards available, and by the rules of supply and demand that means the cost of the shooting guard will go down.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/936805-chicago-bulls-why-a-trade-for-oj-mayo-or-courtney-lee-is-not-the-best-option

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/958234-bulls-trade-rumors-the-only-two-trade-rumors-worth-keeping-an-eye-on

He's certainly played well against the C's, which never hurts.

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 10:26:07 PM »

Offline gotjoker?

• Payton Pritchard

Boston has a total of three trade exceptions.  Besides, the Daniels trade, they've one each from the Semih Erden and Luke Harangody trade to Cleveland both worth $473,604.  So, it's possible to acquire Dahntay Jones ($2.7M) this way by combining two of the three (Daniels plus Erden or Harangody) trade exceptions.

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 10:36:22 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Boston has a total of three trade exceptions.  Besides, the Daniels trade, they've one each from the Semih Erden and Luke Harangody trade to Cleveland both worth $473,604.  So, it's possible to acquire Dahntay Jones ($2.7M) this way by combining two of the three (Daniels plus Erden or Harangody) trade exceptions.

I don't think you can combine exceptions. At least you could not in the last CBA. Also what would Houston get in return for Lee?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 10:47:28 PM »

Offline gotjoker?

• Payton Pritchard
I don't think you can combine exceptions. At least you could not in the last CBA. Also what would Houston get in return for Lee?

Perhaps, I've it wrong...  The CBA rules are probably the same or similar.

I'm looking at it from the standpoint that a team would be open to acquiring cash to do what they want with it.  However, if a team, Houston, sees it differently.  Then I reckon that targeting a backup shooting guard from their roster is easier said than done.

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 11:02:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This trade exception will be gold to any team on the bubble of being a team that can't use the full MLE because they are too far over the $4 million mark over the taxpayer threshold after signing the MLE. It could net a end of bench player from a team like that.

By the same token, the amnesty clause could take a lot of teams out of this category.

I wouldn't expect the C's to land anyone better than a failed 2009 or 2010 draft pick that some teams just would prefer not to pay.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 11:38:48 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I wouldn't expect the C's to land anyone better than a failed 2009 or 2010 draft pick that some teams just would prefer not to pay.

It'd probably be a player with less upside than your average second-round pick.  I think the teams most likely to want to make a trade are:

1) A team trying to clear room under the salary cap to sign a top tier free agent the way Miami traded Daequan Cook last off-season.  The Celtics would be lucky to get a player that good.

2) A team that is desperate to get under the luxury tax threshold.  I want to say Houston has been a team like that in the past.

3) A team that needs to clear a roster space to keep a younger player.  This would most likely happen towards the end of pre-season.

In most cases, this would probably involve the Celtics taking on a player with at least two years on his contract.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 11:58:58 PM »

Offline gotjoker?

• Payton Pritchard
You know, the selections of Gerald Green and JR Giddens in the 2005 and 2008 drafts really set this team back some years by not panning out.  In part, this is what can lead you to need to make a trade, you fail to draft well.

Not to mention, the infatuation Ainge has for drafting undersized off guards.

Delonte West
Orien Greene
Gabe Pruitt
Lester Hudson
Avery Bradly
E'twaun Moore

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 01:47:26 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Houston makes the most sense to me.  They have two wings that could fit the exception (Williams and Lee).  And they would benefit greatly from getting an extra $2 mil under the cap to allow them to make a more competitive offer to one of the major free agent 5s (Chandler, Gasol, Nene, Dalembert, Jordan).

They are more crowded at the point than the wing (with Lowry, Flynn and Dragic all on board), but I can see them sending us Lee or Williams in return for the TE and our 2012 1st round pick.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 04:13:20 AM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
Great Idea on Courtney Lee.  Exactly what we need.  He's young, athletic, plays defense, rebounds.  It would be amazing if Houston will let him go.  Terrence Williams would also be good.  That kid has HOPS.  Good find.
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 04:58:50 AM »

Offline gotjoker?

• Payton Pritchard
Great Idea on Courtney Lee.

Thanks.

In my opinion, his basketball skills allow him to give you what Ray Allen gives you for the most part.  Where they might differ is one is a clutch shooter (Allen) while the other could be a better perimeter defender (Lee).  But then, Lee hasn't been on a NBA team where he's expected to shine in the spotlight like Allen has throughout his NBA career.

Edit: He did average 33.5 MPG the one season with New Jersey.

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 05:28:27 AM »

Kiorrik

Sorry to pick this out of the entire thread, 'cuz it's relatively minor, but I don't get the "less minutes for Ray" thing. He shot a career high, and has been playing big minutes for like, ever. Why cut his minutes? He's doing fine? Just needs to dribble a bit less perhaps? And note, his percentages are a career high - and it's not Scalabrine we're talking about either, so a career high for one of the game's all time best shooters. Why make him a sixth? :x

Sorry if I'm ripping stuff outta context there guys.