Author Topic: Rondo, BBD, filler for CP3 + Okafor  (Read 1487 times)

Rondo, BBD, filler for CP3 + Okafor
« on: November 29, 2011, 10:31:16 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If Wyc doesn't mind spending even more into the luxury tax, and if Danny doesn't mind giving up the pursuit of Dwight Howard:

Boston trades:

Rajon Rondo
Jermaine O'Neal
Avery Bradley
JuJuan Johnson
Glen Davis (S&T, approx. $4.5 million)
#1 (Clippers pick)

New Orleans trades

Chris Paul
Emeka Okafor

There are a few problems with this one.  Okafor is still owed $41 million over 3 years, and his salary would end the quest for Dwight Howard.  There's no guarantee that CP3 would come here if his teammates going forward are Okafor and Jeff Green.  The Celts would be capped out, and would have to fill out the roster with the Mini-MLE, the Marquis trade exception, and the veteran minimum.  The #1 might be too much to give up in light of us taking on Okafor's contract.  BBD might not be worth $4.5 million (although another end of roster guy could always be signed and traded to make up the difference).

Still, it fills the center hole, and upgrades us at PG, while allowing us to keep the "big three" and Jeff Green.

I don't know where I'd fall on this one, but since it works salary-wise, I figured I was obligated to throw it out there.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 08:33:01 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Trading Rondo and filling the center hole
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 10:51:02 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
That trade, or one like it, is our best chance at a championship this season, if you ask me.

Going forward, we wouldn't be much better off than we would be with Rondo, but at least we'd have a true franchise player in CP3.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 08:25:57 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I prefer CP3+ West.
Do you think that NO would give up West without getting KG(his contract) back?
If we could keep KG somehow we could have

KG
West
CP3
Pierce
Ray

As a five unit.

Also, if Okafur does come over and his crappy salary, can't we Amnesty him/trade him if Dwight really wants to come here?
Surely there's a way to get Okafur and still have a shot at Dwight with either of those options...?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 08:32:26 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I prefer CP3+ West.

KG
West
CP3
Pierce
Ray

As a five unit.

Also, if Okafur does come over and his crappy salary, can't we Amnesty him/trade him if Dwight really wants to come here?
Surely there's a way to get Okafur and still have a shot at Dwight with either of those options...?

There's no real incentive for New Orleans to just give us West, though, when they can potentially get value for him in a sign-and-trade.  Plus, there's no real incentive for West to agree to come here, when he'd be coming off the bench.

In the Okafor scenario, it's attractive for NO because they'd be clearing up all kinds of room under their cap.  With West, he's already off their cap, so they'd be adding -- rather than subtracting -- long-term salary.  That doesn't fit their needs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 09:00:52 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I prefer CP3+ West.

KG
West
CP3
Pierce
Ray

As a five unit.

There's no real incentive for New Orleans to just give us West, though, when they can potentially get value for him in a sign-and-trade.  Plus, there's no real incentive for West to agree to come here, when he'd be coming off the bench.

In the Okafor scenario, it's attractive for NO because they'd be clearing up all kinds of room under their cap.  With West, he's already off their cap, so they'd be adding -- rather than subtracting -- long-term salary.  That doesn't fit their needs.

I guess the incentive is that they will get the closest possible replacement to Paul that is available- Rondo.
If Ainge played hardball and agreed to the 3 team trade he could possibly maneuver West into the agreement.

NO is stating they aren't interested in a two team trade but that doesn't mean they don't want Rondo, they just want Rondo and more pieces to help them when CP3+ West both walk.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.