Author Topic: trade idea: smooshing rumors together  (Read 3924 times)

trade idea: smooshing rumors together
« on: November 29, 2011, 09:07:26 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
Rajon Rondo & Jeff Green (signed)

for

Jason Kidd (deal expires this year), Tyson Chandler (signed), and 1st rounder

chance at one more run at the title but the team starts pretty much completely over next year

how crazy am I?

(I will now duck and cover)
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: trade idea: smooshing rumors together
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 09:09:06 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Interesting... I hate the idea of trading our Point guard of the future for a point guard about to retire and a center who wont take the load after the big 3 leaves.

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 09:13:34 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I pretty much hate it.  Kidd is a shell of his former self, who mostly passes along the perimeter and shoots threes.  Giving up a young all-star PG and Jeff Green for one year of Kidd and the right to overpay a 10/10 center doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  

Basically, if Danny felt the need to pay $10 - $12 million per year to a defensive-minded center, he should have just kept Perk (and saved around $4 million per season in the process).

Chandler isn't worth Rondo.  In two years, we'd be left with an offensively-weak center, and nothing else but some cap space.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 09:20:26 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
yeah, it did seem pretty slanted in their direction, thus the pick, but I agree, I wouldn't do it - just getting creative with the rumors for discussion purposes

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 09:32:30 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
how about Rondo and the Clips pick for Chris Paul and in a separate deal Jeff Green and Big Baby for Tyson Chandler?  Now that seems slanted to our side. This is hard stuff! (but fun)

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 09:35:57 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
how about Rondo and the Clips pick for Chris Paul and in a separate deal Jeff Green and Big Baby for Tyson Chandler?  Now that seems slanted to our side. This is hard stuff! (but fun)

The big question there is, do you want to go with the bird in the hand (Chandler), or wait for the gigantic bird in the bush (Howard)?

If those deals were on the table (and I suspect the first would be, but the second wouldn't), it would be an interesting dilemma.  It would depend on what the Celtics were hearing through "back channels" about Howard coming to Boston.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 09:39:14 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Super Smush

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=c95prx2

Celtics trade Rondo, Ray, Krstic (somehow I think he can't be traded but as long as he is still listed), and Glen Davis

Receive Paul, Chandler and Rudy Fernandez

NO trade Paul

Receives Rondo and Davis (replaces West and Landry)

Dallas trades Chandler and Rudy

Receives Ray and Krstic (Amnesty?)

Chance of happening:  Not likely.

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 10:13:43 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Rajon Rondo & Jeff Green (signed)

for

Jason Kidd (deal expires this year), Tyson Chandler (signed), and 1st rounder

chance at one more run at the title but the team starts pretty much completely over next year

how crazy am I?

(I will now duck and cover)

Yikes, not a fan either.  I just think we could get much more for Rondo.  We could probably get Nash + Gortat for Rondo + Green if we really wanted to.  Speaking of which... anybody?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 11:24:26 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
how about Rondo and the Clips pick for Chris Paul and in a separate deal Jeff Green and Big Baby for Tyson Chandler?  Now that seems slanted to our side. This is hard stuff! (but fun)

The big question there is, do you want to go with the bird in the hand (Chandler), or wait for the gigantic bird in the bush (Howard)?

If those deals were on the table (and I suspect the first would be, but the second wouldn't), it would be an interesting dilemma.  It would depend on what the Celtics were hearing through "back channels" about Howard coming to Boston.

If theres a chance of getting chandler and paul and pairing them with the big three, you take it.  We might have a shot at a title this year with those two.  I have a hard time seeing Howard making it to free agency, and we dont have the pieces to trade for him.  He's likely destined for brooklyn or LA.

The only way Howard ends up here in my opinion is if he pulls a Melo, saying he wants to go here and nowhere else.  Havent heard anything at this point indicating the Celtics are even on Howards wishlist, let alone at the top of it.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 12:14:15 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

If those deals were on the table (and I suspect the first would be, but the second wouldn't), it would be an interesting dilemma.  It would depend on what the Celtics were hearing through "back channels" about Howard coming to Boston.

I agree. I think what we see the Celtics do this "offseason" will all be about whether they think they have a realistic shot at Howard next offseason.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 12:33:13 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Super Smush

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=c95prx2

Celtics trade Rondo, Ray, Krstic (somehow I think he can't be traded but as long as he is still listed), and Glen Davis

Receive Paul, Chandler and Rudy Fernandez

NO trade Paul

Receives Rondo and Davis (replaces West and Landry)

Dallas trades Chandler and Rudy

Receives Ray and Krstic (Amnesty?)

Chance of happening:  Not likely.

Yah I would lose to New Orleans in SB 46 to have that trade (Just Kidding and not Jason Kidd) I am gonna call Jeff Clark Jason Kidd from now on for suggesting a Rondo for Kidd deal - You got to be KIDDing me?
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 01:02:37 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
It seems to me that the most common way the best General Managers in the league have gotten the best players is by understanding chess - they've made a few preliminary moves in order to increase their chances of making the bigger moves.

Examples:

Lakers - Jerry West:
* He has no idea if he can get Shaq. Maybe he's heard stuff through "back channels", but still there is no guarantee...
* He trades nearly half his team to put himself "in position" to offer Shaq  a big deal.
* He gets Shaq

Celtics - Danny Ainge
* He had no idea he could get KG - he just knew KG was probably about to be traded somewhere.
* Pierce wasn't enough to draw KG's interest
* He trades for Ray Allen
* Any great basketball mind - which KG is - knows when he looks at Pierce and Ray Allen, he is looking at a shot for a ring if he joins them.
* Ainge pulls off the KG trade - we win a ring - in contention the last four season...

Miami - Pat Riley
* Guts his team and puts himself "in position" to land two max guys to go with Wade
* He lands James and Bosh

Celtics - Dwight Howard
* #1 - Howard should come to the Celtics - it's about time we had another great Center to extend the legacy of Bill Russell, Cownes, Parish, etc..
* Going to LA would be cliche
* The best way to get Howard is to make a move that makes him want to come to Boston.
* Rondo may be enough - it would be for me if I were Howard
* But if through back channels you hear Howard really wants to play with Chris Paul...you start rebuilding right now in preparation.

1. Trade Rondo for Chris Paul - that is a fair trade straight up - especially as NO would get Rondo for cheap ($11 Mil) in comparison to Paul's contract and also since Paul is likely to walk. They won't find a better replacement than Paul   

2. Sign and Trade Big baby for a good, young, promising off guard. OJ Mayo?

3. Sign a stop gap center this year. KG, Pierce, Ray and Paul might be enough to get you another ring anyway.

4. If you want to go BIG in trying to lure Howard and by making up front moves to increase your chances - you package Ray, the Clipper pick and possible Jeff Green for some other stud at PF SF

5. But I'd probably wait on that.

Free agent center / Jermaine
KG / Landry or someone else / JJJ
Pierce / Jeff Green / Gilbert Brown
Ray / Mayo / Von Wafer or Etwan Morre
Chris Paul / Delonte / Bradley

That team above can win a ring - then, moving forward...

1. Clipper's Pick / Your own Pick / KG and Ray coming off the books
2. Pierce / Jeff Green / JJJ / Chris Paul / Mayo / Delonte
3. KG & Ray as returnign Vets...

That should be enough to lure Howard - he'd be a fool not to walk into that crop of talent.

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 02:05:47 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
It seems to me that the most common way the best General Managers in the league have gotten the best players is by understanding chess - they've made a few preliminary moves in order to increase their chances of making the bigger moves.

Examples:

Lakers - Jerry West:
* He has no idea if he can get Shaq. Maybe he's heard stuff through "back channels", but still there is no guarantee...
* He trades nearly half his team to put himself "in position" to offer Shaq  a big deal.
* He gets Shaq

Celtics - Danny Ainge
* He had no idea he could get KG - he just knew KG was probably about to be traded somewhere.
* Pierce wasn't enough to draw KG's interest
* He trades for Ray Allen
* Any great basketball mind - which KG is - knows when he looks at Pierce and Ray Allen, he is looking at a shot for a ring if he joins them.
* Ainge pulls off the KG trade - we win a ring - in contention the last four season...

Miami - Pat Riley
* Guts his team and puts himself "in position" to land two max guys to go with Wade
* He lands James and Bosh

Celtics - Dwight Howard
* #1 - Howard should come to the Celtics - it's about time we had another great Center to extend the legacy of Bill Russell, Cownes, Parish, etc..
* Going to LA would be cliche
* The best way to get Howard is to make a move that makes him want to come to Boston.
* Rondo may be enough - it would be for me if I were Howard
* But if through back channels you hear Howard really wants to play with Chris Paul...you start rebuilding right now in preparation.

1. Trade Rondo for Chris Paul - that is a fair trade straight up - especially as NO would get Rondo for cheap ($11 Mil) in comparison to Paul's contract and also since Paul is likely to walk. They won't find a better replacement than Paul   

2. Sign and Trade Big baby for a good, young, promising off guard. OJ Mayo?

3. Sign a stop gap center this year. KG, Pierce, Ray and Paul might be enough to get you another ring anyway.

4. If you want to go BIG in trying to lure Howard and by making up front moves to increase your chances - you package Ray, the Clipper pick and possible Jeff Green for some other stud at PF SF

5. But I'd probably wait on that.

Free agent center / Jermaine
KG / Landry or someone else / JJJ
Pierce / Jeff Green / Gilbert Brown
Ray / Mayo / Von Wafer or Etwan Morre
Chris Paul / Delonte / Bradley

That team above can win a ring - then, moving forward...

1. Clipper's Pick / Your own Pick / KG and Ray coming off the books
2. Pierce / Jeff Green / JJJ / Chris Paul / Mayo / Delonte
3. KG & Ray as returnign Vets...

That should be enough to lure Howard - he'd be a fool not to walk into that crop of talent.

I love this analogy...and I could not agree more...as much as I love Rondo, if getting Paul guarantees getting Howard, pull the trigger right away...

and that roster you said, is actually good enough to win a championship too...

in that scenario, if we DO win a championship...appealing to Dwight becomes even more attractive for him...

"want to play with Paul...check, play for a CHAMPIONSHIP team...check"

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 03:23:56 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, looks like Nene wants out of Denver. Article by Marc Spears by way of hoopshype rumors:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuksO77mdsvdwkMVX5TfILu8vLYF?slug=mc-spears_nene_nba_free_agents_112911

I'd rather not trade anyone and just convince Nene to come here for a shot at his first banner.

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 03:28:02 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Well, looks like Nene wants out of Denver. Article by Marc Spears by way of hoopshype rumors:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuksO77mdsvdwkMVX5TfILu8vLYF?slug=mc-spears_nene_nba_free_agents_112911

I'd rather not trade anyone and just convince Nene to come here for a shot at his first banner.

Unfortunately, unless it is via sign and trade there is 0% chance of Nene coming here this offseason.

He can talk all he wants about wanting to contend, but there is no way he (or his agent) even consider taking the full MLE, let alone the mini MLE.  He knows he can force a sign and trade to a contender if he really wants to, or just sign with a team like NJ, who may be a contender sooner rather than later anyways.