Author Topic: Is There A Center We Can Trade BBD For?  (Read 9790 times)

Re: Is There A Center We Can Trade BBD For?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 02:40:11 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
What is the obsession with the old guys here?

The only way the Celtics can get players with proven histories is to get old guys and hope they haven't declined.  I go the other way and advocate getting unproven, younger players who have had a lack of opportunity.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 03:05:30 PM »

Offline Liam W

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
You cant trade someone when he hasnt even got a contract to trade. Davis is a Free Agent and is probably gone anyway.

Big men shouldnt be a problem as there are a load of Centers's + Power Forwards out there to be had. My recomendation would be Kwame Brown for the minimum. He was solid last season for the Bobcats. Maybe even a 2yr $4mill deal or something

Center is probably high up on Dannys radar, as Shaq has Retired, KG is very old + Jermaine O'Neal cant be expected to hold up for 66 games

Big Men are priority here

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 07:47:47 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The only way the Celtics can get players with proven histories is to get old guys and hope they haven't declined.

I disagree Von Wafer and Delonte were not in this boat.  What we got was old guys to try to win a ring.  Now MIA will most likely get those same guys even though they have not won jack.

I concur with you that we need to look at some younger guys and roll the dice.

I could not believe people wanted to get Iverson on this board.   I would steer clear of anyone over 36, regardless of position.     Tashaun Prince or Battier would be nice but I agree we need a big more than anything.   

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 08:54:37 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
My recomendation would be Kwame Brown for the minimum. He was solid last season for the Bobcats.

Maybe even a 2yr $4mill deal or something
Kwame will get MLE $ without much trouble for several reasons.
1. as you mentioned, he had a very solid season last year. 
2. he's young and athletic. 
3. he's durable
4. centers that are young, athletic, durable and had a good season last year will never have to settle for the vet min or $2 mill per year deal.  If Perk can get the deal he signed with OKC, Kwame will get at least MLE

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 09:06:56 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

The only way the Celtics can get players with proven histories is to get old guys and hope they haven't declined.  I go the other way and advocate getting unproven, younger players who have had a lack of opportunity.

It's how we won in 2008.

PJ Brown, Cassell, Leaon Powe, Posey.
Veterans who came in, did their job, and held it together defensively when we needed them.
They did an excellent job.
Problem is now we have to play athletic teams like the Bulls and the Heat just to get to the ECF.
I still think this is the best formula to winning though.
Mavs did the exact same thing in the West.
We are very capable of beating Miami with our defense- heck we could have very easily been up 3-1 even with all the injuries we had.
The biggest advantage other than the obvious duo of Wade+Lebron that the Heat have is that Bosh can drag KG away from the Basket with his shooting range- much like KG has done to Gasol. This leaves the lanes wide open for the Heat's two perimeter studs to drive all day and draw fouls on late help defense.
We need a defensive big man that can patrol the paint who is extremely aggressive on the boards and on help defense.
Shaq was great at this until he got hurt. Perk was great at this until he got hurt.
We need a solid replacement and Kwame or Pryz would be great, cept Pryz's injuries really concern me.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 12:48:49 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
The only way the Celtics can get players with proven histories is to get old guys and hope they haven't declined.

I disagree Von Wafer and Delonte were not in this boat.  What we got was old guys to try to win a ring.  Now MIA will most likely get those same guys even though they have not won jack.

OK, old guys and hope they haven't declined or guys with headcase reputations and hope they can be held in check.  I might add injured guys and hope they can recover.

As for Kwame Brown, I suspect he will get a bigger contract than a lot of people expect because of a scarcity of centers worth more than the minimum, but no more than the MLE.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 12:59:37 AM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156

The only way the Celtics can get players with proven histories is to get old guys and hope they haven't declined.  I go the other way and advocate getting unproven, younger players who have had a lack of opportunity.

I advocate getting a Center on a 1 year deal for cheap money who can play a solid 15-20 minutes. What younger unproven fits into this criteria?

Maybe Patrick O'bryant is available?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 01:42:48 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

The only way the Celtics can get players with proven histories is to get old guys and hope they haven't declined.  I go the other way and advocate getting unproven, younger players who have had a lack of opportunity.

I advocate getting a Center on a 1 year deal for cheap money who can play a solid 15-20 minutes. What younger unproven fits into this criteria?

I could probably toss out about ten names and at least 2-3 of them should be able to provide that.   I just don't know which of the ten. 

Take the top centers in the D-League over the past couple of seasons, add in a few of the best undrafted rookie free agents, and toss in some fringe NBA guys who have enough physical tools to get on NBA rosters but have never had the opportunity for extended playing time to show what they are worth.  There are going to be at least a couple in that group who can be a pleasant surprise on the level that Semih Erden was last year, not great but good enough to soak up some minutes while not resulting in a universal reaction of cringing from fans every time he enters a game.

This is an area where Ainge needs to not gamble on hitting a home run with a physically impressive project who has failed in other places but instead go with someone whose ceiling is probably serviceable NBA journeyman.

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 02:07:18 AM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156

I could probably toss out about ten names and at least 2-3 of them should be able to provide that.   I just don't know which of the ten. 

Take the top centers in the D-League over the past couple of seasons, add in a few of the best undrafted rookie free agents, and toss in some fringe NBA guys who have enough physical tools to get on NBA rosters but have never had the opportunity for extended playing time to show what they are worth.  There are going to be at least a couple in that group who can be a pleasant surprise on the level that Semih Erden was last year, not great but good enough to soak up some minutes while not resulting in a universal reaction of cringing from fans every time he enters a game.

This is an area where Ainge needs to not gamble on hitting a home run with a physically impressive project who has failed in other places but instead go with someone whose ceiling is probably serviceable NBA journeyman.

Yeah, I just disagree. Now is definitely the time to know what you are getting with the majority of your bench. Sure, maybe take a shot on a 3rd or 4th string center or the 14th/15th guy on the roster, but not with the primary backup. It is just too important. Plus, the rookie Johnson probably meets the standard of the direction you would like. So we already have that guy. We need to know what we are getting going forward. Ben Wallace for 15 minutes fits in nicely in my opinion.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 10:15:26 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
PJ Brown, Cassell, Leaon Powe, Posey.

Leon Powe was not a veteran.

http://www.nba.com/home/playerfile/leon_powe/career_stats.html

He was drafted in  06.   A rookie in 06-07.  Did you follow the C's then, Slamtheking?

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 05:01:21 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
What about A.Gray in NO?
Not somebody we'd *like* to trade BBD for, somebody we *can* trade him for.

I can see the C's wanting Gray more than BBD, but I really can't see NO wanting BBD more than Gray. So, I don't think that trade would fly.

Oh, and in answer to the original question...no. No, there is not a center we can trade BBD for. Not one that would do the C's any good.

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 05:08:20 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What about A.Gray in NO?
Not somebody we'd *like* to trade BBD for, somebody we *can* trade him for.

I can see the C's wanting Gray more than BBD, but I really can't see NO wanting BBD more than Gray. So, I don't think that trade would fly.

Oh, and in answer to the original question...no. No, there is not a center we can trade BBD for. Not one that would do the C's any good.

Interesting perspective; it's always interesting to see such divergent views of player value.  In my mind, though, you might be underrating Davis / overrating Gray.

Gray averaged 3 points and 4 rebounds last year, and he's older than Davis.  He can't stay on the court because he fouls too much, and he missed 41 games last year.  About the only thing he does better than BBD is rebound; in terms of offense and defense, I prefer BBD.

I think New Orleans could use a guy like BBD, basically because he's a poor man's David West.  He's not as good as West, but the two have similar games; neither is a great rebounder, they both rely a lot on their jumper, both are underrated defenders without blocking shots, etc.  I think if New Orleans was offered this deal, they'd take it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 01:46:22 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
As I pointed out in the thread about BBD wanting to go to NJ, there is a long, athletic, 25-year-old, 7-footer that the Celtics may be able to acquire in a sign-and-trade for Glen Davis.  Unfortunately, that center is Johan Petro.

Of course, New Jersey is rumored to want to dump Petro and the horrible contract of Travis Outlaw for cap space.  Unless they really like Davis, they may prefer to find an expiring contract instead.

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 07:14:47 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Big Baby + clippers pick for Al Jefferson? Throw in Bradley or another piece?
Jazz are shopping Jefferson.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 10:06:34 AM »

Offline Inside-Out

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Big Baby + clippers pick for Al Jefferson? Throw in Bradley or another piece?
Jazz are shopping Jefferson.

I think salaries would require more $$ from our side.  Perhaps (gasp) Ray and BBD for Al.

And we would be getting an absolute steal.