Author Topic: Chris Herren documentary: "Unguarded"  (Read 8461 times)

Chris Herren documentary: "Unguarded"
« on: November 02, 2011, 11:17:10 AM »

Offline Schintzius

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 68
Anyone catch this last night?  It was pretty amazing. 

It's astonishing what this guy had, and then threw away.  I knew some of his story, but this doc did a great job of putting his whole story out there.  One of the stories he told was about how he met his Oxycontin dealer 20 minutes before tip-off, in his Celtics warmups, right outside the (then) FleetCenter.   Crazy.

He's been sober for 3 years now, and looks to be doing well.  Definitely try to catch this when it airs again.

Re: Chris Herren documentary: "Unguarded"
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 11:34:57 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I missed it, but would like to see it.

Did they give any updates as to how he's doing now?  Last I know he'd cleaned himself up and seemed be on a good path, but that was probably a year or so ago.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 12:08:02 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
he runs  a basketball school in S. Kingston RI now I think. Doing really well per the movie, looks v happy and doing good. Nice to see. This was all within the last few months i think, so fairly up-to-date

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 12:19:12 PM »

Offline Schintzius

• Oshae Brissett
Quote from: Redz link=topic=50240.msg

Did they give any updates as to how he's doing now?  Last I know he'd cleaned himself up and seemed be on a good path, but that was probably a year or so ago.

Yup, they seem to have just finished shooting over the last month or so -- they had footage of him getting his 3-year sobriety chip (which I'm pretty sure JUST happened), as well as some footage of his jersey retirement in Fall River.

One of the coolest bits was near the end, where he mentioned his long-standing habit of keeping his razor and toothbrush in the shower.  Now that he's sober, he's shaving and brushing his teeth in front of the mirror, because he can actually stand the sight of his own face again. 

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 02:28:57 PM »

Offline boom

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 26
Does anyone know what channel it aired on? I'd like to search and DVR the next time it airs.

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 02:36:34 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Does anyone know what channel it aired on? I'd like to search and DVR the next time it airs.

ESPN

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 02:37:18 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
How much of it is similar to his recent book which was very good?

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 04:07:17 PM »

Offline boom

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 26
Thanks & TP!

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 06:35:46 PM »

Offline WBrownTrophy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Thanks Red

It airs next Saturday morning, 7am I believe
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 06:44:41 PM by WBrownTrophy »
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."
                                   -Red Auerbach

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 07:42:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Quote from: Redz link=topic=50240.msg

Yup, they seem to have just finished shooting over the last month or so -- they had footage of him getting his 3-year sobriety chip (which I'm pretty sure JUST happened), as well as some footage of his jersey retirement in Fall River.

One of the coolest bits was near the end, where he mentioned his long-standing habit of keeping his razor and toothbrush in the shower.  Now that he's sober, he's shaving and brushing his teeth in front of the mirror, because he can actually stand the sight of his own face again. 

good to hear
Yup

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 10:17:09 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
he runs  a basketball school in S. Kingston RI now I think. Doing really well per the movie, looks v happy and doing good. Nice to see. This was all within the last few months i think, so fairly up-to-date

Does he really run a school in SK?  I'm from SK, in Florida right now for school.  Ik he runs a school in RI would like to know where it is and if it's SK.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 04:29:29 PM »

Offline Schintzius

• Oshae Brissett
They're airing it again tonight (Thursday 11/3) at 8:00pm EDT.

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 09:43:49 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103

Does he really run a school in SK?  I'm from SK, in Florida right now for school.  Ik he runs a school in RI would like to know where it is and if it's SK.

sorry, i guess it's in Portsmouth or Riverside. Pennfiels gym in Portsmouth?
his website: ahoopdream.com
i'm from northern RI - south county is all the same to me!  ;)

i read something about a year ago where he's working w some prospects from SK though - think he might've been involved w that kid who lit it up for w virginia a year ago or so? can't remember his name.

funny he ended up in RI - not too many serious basketball propsects there for him!

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 09:45:10 AM »

Offline WBrownTrophy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Thanks Red

sorry, i guess it's in Portsmouth or Riverside. Pennfiels gym in Portsmouth?
his website: ahoopdream.com
i'm from northern RI - south county is all the same to me!  ;)

i read something about a year ago where he's working w some prospects from SK though - think he might've been involved w that kid who lit it up for w virginia a year ago or so? can't remember his name.

funny he ended up in RI - not too many serious basketball propsects there for him!

Not too many serious basketball prospects in MA, either :)

"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."
                                   -Red Auerbach