Author Topic: Patriots (5-1) at Steelers (5-2) 10/30  (Read 10639 times)

Re: Patriots (5-1) at Steelers (5-2) 10/30
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 08:08:54 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Ugly game for the Pats.  

Not to take away from how bad the Pats played, but for the refs not to call a touchdown for that Gronk catch at the goal line, with the rules the way they are today allowing TD's to be reviewed, was irresponsible. It changed the whole dynamic of the game down the stretch. If it is close, signal a TD, review the video and GET IT RIGHT!

I *think* the rule is that scores are automatically challenged, while potential scores (that are called non-scores on the field) still have to be challenged from the bench (unless within the final 2 minutes).  Therefore, the lack of a challenge would be on BB.

I think the officials need to call things as they see it, rather than erring on the side of caution on close plays.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 08:23:04 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Patriots really failing to impress me this year.  You can't expect to win meaningful games against good opponents with one of the worst pass defenses in the league.  Especially with an offense that is far more trick or treat than it was last year.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 08:23:43 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Ugly game for the Pats.  

Not to take away from how bad the Pats played, but for the refs not to call a touchdown for that Gronk catch at the goal line, with the rules the way they are today allowing TD's to be reviewed, was irresponsible. It changed the whole dynamic of the game down the stretch. If it is close, signal a TD, review the video and GET IT RIGHT!

I *think* the rule is that scores are automatically challenged, while potential scores (that are called non-scores on the field) still have to be challenged from the bench (unless within the final 2 minutes).  Therefore, the lack of a challenge would be on BB.

I think the officials need to call things as they see it, rather than erring on the side of caution on close plays.

You are right. But BB shouldn't have been forced into that decision in a hurry up situation that didn't allow the coaches upstairs to review the call. At the time he couldn't risk the time out without the standard luxury of the upstairs "go ahead and throw it"

I am someone that tries to avoid whining about the refs, but that was a really bad situation to get the call wrong.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 09:12:40 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Ugly game for the Pats. 

I *think* the rule is that scores are automatically challenged, while potential scores (that are called non-scores on the field) still have to be challenged from the bench (unless within the final 2 minutes).  Therefore, the lack of a challenge would be on BB.

I don't think it was a TD anyhow.  The Steelers did a great job of pushing him back right before he crossed the plane.

In any case, the Patriots just didn't deserve to win today.  Offense couldn't figure out the Steeler's D and the pass defense was simply awful.  The Patriots would have lost to a great many teams in the league with the pass D performing like that.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 11:46:07 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Ugly game for the Pats.  

I don't think it was a TD anyhow.  The Steelers did a great job of pushing him back right before he crossed the plane.

In any case, the Patriots just didn't deserve to win today.  Offense couldn't figure out the Steeler's D and the pass defense was simply awful.  The Patriots would have lost to a great many teams in the league with the pass D performing like that.

With all due respect, my friend, I believe Gronk's catch was clearly a touchdown, with control of the ball and both feet in the end-zone ... BJGE's late score-line drive was not, however, as they pushed him back before reaching the plane.

You're absolutely correct, though, in saying they didn't deserve to win ... they were clearly the inferior team and the defense's incompetence just drove me nuts, (not that I wasn't already).

Thankfully I was at work again so my disgust was broken with periods of activity, (and a colleague turned the volume down on the waiting room TV, so we only got visuals from the nurses station, and that was bad enough).

They have a good record at this point, but without some major improvement on defense and tweaks to the chemistry, I don't see this team as a serious SB contender, and while I do think they'll make the playoffs, I doubt they'll get very deep.

It really pains me to say this, because I'm such a half-full kind of guy, but I guess the realities of the Sox late-season blunder and the NBA lockout have got me in a "realism" funk.

They rarely got any kind of pressure on Roethlisberger, (or any other QB this season), the coverage in the secondary was atrocious, and the stupid mistakes and missed assignments were endless.

There's no way Brady could've gotten into any kind of rhythm, (as there was only one three-and-out in the first quarter, and not much more time on the field in the entire first half), and little expectation that it will improve against similar offensive lines and big arms in the future.

I was much more optimistic before this season started about the viability of our defense, and the first few weeks seemed to prove that Tom's arm would overcome any inefficiencies they had, and supply the impetus and extra time needed to tweak them into shape.

But yesterday was the wake-up call that showed clearly that no matter how good your QB is, he'll never be able to work any magic if he can't get on the field.

Disgusted and discouraged ...a loooooooong winter ahead.

Bruins hockey, anyone? :(
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 11:54:23 AM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 12:13:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Bruins hockey, anyone? :(

I wish.  They've caught the Red Sox funk, apparently.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 12:27:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Simply the worst beatdown of a Patriot team since the 31-3 Lawyer Milloy Buffalo game years ago. Pittsburgh DOMINATED the Pats and the score is just no indication of how lopsided this game was.

It was one of the more frustrating things I have watched from this team in years.....well, along with that Jets playoff game last year.

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 12:31:03 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Gronk caught the ball on the line and breaking the plane of the goal-line before being pushed out so it should've been a TD.  It was such a bang-bang play and the Pats were in hurry up, I'm not sure the Pats coaches up top had time to get a real good look at it and tell BB to challenge it.

But, besides that, the Pats were simply out gameplanned yesterday and the defense couldn't garner any stops on 3rd downs.  Steelers killed the Pats in time of possession and the Pats offense never got things clicking.  What was impressive was that the Steelers offense killed the Pats defense with the "dink & dunk" passes.  Usually a Pats offensive staple. 

All the AFC contenders have flaws this year. There's no dominant team in that conference.  A handful of "good but not great" teams like the Ravens, Pats, and Steelers. It's going to be interesting to see how the 2nd half of the season plays out.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 12:41:54 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Gronk caught the ball on the line and breaking the plane of the goal-line before being pushed out so it should've been a TD.  It was such a bang-bang play and the Pats were in hurry up, I'm not sure the Pats coaches up top had time to get a real good look at it and tell BB to challenge it.

The weird thing about that play, if I'm remembering correctly, is that the Pats went into hurry-up, but then spent 20+ seconds at the line of scrimmage.  The team didn't seem to be in as much of a hurry as one would think, and I think there was plenty of time to challenge (although I can understand being risk-averse if BB wanted to ensure he kept his timeout.)

But, besides that, the Pats were simply out gameplanned yesterday and the defense couldn't garner any stops on 3rd downs.  Steelers killed the Pats in time of possession and the Pats offense never got things clicking.  What was impressive was that the Steelers offense killed the Pats defense with the "dink & dunk" passes.  Usually a Pats offensive staple. 

All the AFC contenders have flaws this year. There's no dominant team in that conference.  A handful of "good but not great" teams like the Ravens, Pats, and Steelers. It's going to be interesting to see how the 2nd half of the season plays out.

Agree with all of this.

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 12:42:39 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

The NFC definitely looks a lot more imposing this season.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 12:46:32 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

The weird thing about that play, if I'm remembering correctly, is that the Pats went into hurry-up, but then spent 20+ seconds at the line of scrimmage.  The team didn't seem to be in as much of a hurry as one would think, and I think there was plenty of time to challenge (although I can understand being risk-averse if BB wanted to ensure he kept his timeout.)

Agree with all of this.

Yeah, that was a really weird sequence there.  Seems like Brady checked out of multiple plays there and they did waste some clock.  I don't know if the players on the field thought that Belichick was gonna challenge it and stalled a bit before realizing that he wasn't going to challenge it at all.

Could've just been that Brady didn't like the look of the Steelrs D and decided the change up the play but he took an awfully long time getting it set.

Definitely weird, though, and it really hurt them in regards to clock.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 01:06:20 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Agree with all of this.

Yeah, that was a really weird sequence there.  Seems like Brady checked out of multiple plays there and they did waste some clock.  I don't know if the players on the field thought that Belichick was gonna challenge it and stalled a bit before realizing that he wasn't going to challenge it at all.

Could've just been that Brady didn't like the look of the Steelrs D and decided the change up the play but he took an awfully long time getting it set.

Definitely weird, though, and it really hurt them in regards to clock.

I haven't watched the whole game yet, so I'm going on what I was told here, but my brother DVR'd it and said that Gronk seemed to be trying to pursuade Brady to wait so Bill could challenge the call, so Tom had anticipated running the hurry-up again, then got to the line and did his best to stall, until the shot clock had run down.

Seemed like a major lack of communication, and it seems that that's becoming the norm of late ... not like a Belichick team to be so confused so often. Not sure what's up overall, but the chemistry is not what is has been, and they just seem tentative on both sides of the ball.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, 05:09:07 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
honestly, the team looked like a team that hadn't played football in 2 weeks and was very unprepared/unfocused...missed tackles,missed assignments, offense was off and got nothing going with 3 and outs...those 5days off durign the by week killed them imo...but thats on the coach to get the team focused.

im expecting the pats to look better next week against the Giants...this team always seems to rebound after a loss