Author Topic: is there such a thing as jumping back over the shark?  (Read 11857 times)

Re: is there such a thing as jumping back over the shark?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 11:50:07 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Look, I'm as likely as anyone to criticize the Tammy or Tyra-heavy storylines. But for all the hand wringing that has been done about season two (which, btw, is a new thing that has just started in like the last month or so), it still had Riggins, Coach Taylor, and Saerson. So, you're wrong. You're just wrong.

Minka Kelly's plot lines that season with the Christian Church, and her love triangle with Riggins and the guy who ran the Christian radio was pretty blah too.

The thing about Minka Kelley is that she's Minka Kelley. In the same was that 2 years ago I would've watched Jessica Alba do Sudoku, and 4 years ago I would've watched Eva Longoria play connect 4, and 6 years ago I would've watched Vida Guerra install McAfee anti-virus software, and 8 years ago I would've watched Eva Mendes play minesweeper, anything with Minka Kelley makes our lives richer and more full.

This also applies to Natalie Portman. 

I think those plot lines really are testing your theorem then. Again, Christian Radio.

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 11:50:57 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Also, please remember that " jump the Shark" does not mean , "has gotten worse". It means that a show has run it's course but because it makes money the staff ill go to any lengths to keep it on the air and talked about, ala Fonzie jumping the shark. Friday Night Lights never was successful enough to jump the shark.

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 11:57:01 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Also, please remember that " jump the Shark" does not mean , "has gotten worse". It means that a show has run it's course but because it makes money the staff ill go to any lengths to keep it on the air and talked about, ala Fonzie jumping the shark. Friday Night Lights never was successful enough to jump the shark.

I think the term is open to interpretation.

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 12:04:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The last 3 seasons of Southpark, including the current one, have been absolutely awesome.  The few before that were quite good as well.  Actually since Trey and Matt went to the Thursday to Wednesday format for everything (the recent documentary "6 Days to Air" is superb), it has been the best show on television.  I mean Wednesday's episode alone had countless references to Tebow's victory over the Dolphins on Sunday.  That is why that show is so great, it is totally 100% relevant and not months behind.

Couldn't you argue that this hurts the show too, though? The rewatchability is limited because every episode is so entangled in current events.
Not really because the current event references aren't what the show is about.  Wednesday's episode was about Broadway shows, the other three shows this seasons have been about Aspergers Syndrome (as well as fast food), a children's game called Texans v. Mexicans (apparently it is the new cowboys and Indians), and a TMZ type reality site.  I believe all four of those will be as funny three years from now as they are today. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 12:05:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Oh and "Jumping the Shark" is no longer the cool kids reference it is now called "Nuking the Fridge".  Thank you Steven Spielberg.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 12:07:29 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The last 3 seasons of Southpark, including the current one, have been absolutely awesome.  The few before that were quite good as well.  Actually since Trey and Matt went to the Thursday to Wednesday format for everything (the recent documentary "6 Days to Air" is superb), it has been the best show on television.  I mean Wednesday's episode alone had countless references to Tebow's victory over the Dolphins on Sunday.  That is why that show is so great, it is totally 100% relevant and not months behind.

Couldn't you argue that this hurts the show too, though? The rewatchability is limited because every episode is so entangled in current events.

*Nailed it!*

You know what episodes you can watch about a million times? Toilet Paper. Bebe's Boobies Destroy Society. The Original one with Mitch Connors. Proper Condom Use (I'm a sucker for Mad Max references).

You know what's not funny after the first watch? humancentipad. Royal Pudding.

Casa Bonita...now THAT's comedy.

I think the term is open to interpretation.

Its called Jumping the Shark because Fonzi JUMPED A SHARK, which is so ridiculous it is clear they were just making crap up at that point. Interpret that, Gandalf!

PS: If you type Gandalf, the closest 'real word' is 'Ugandan' in spellcheck. Stupid Spellcheck.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 12:10:15 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Its called Jumping the Shark because Fonzi JUMPED A SHARK, which is so ridiculous it is clear they were just making crap up at that point. Interpret that, Gandalf!

PS: If you type Gandalf, the closest 'real word' is 'Ugandan' in spellcheck. Stupid Spellcheck.

OH, FONZI JUMPED A SHARK?!

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 12:11:30 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I cannot tell if this is sarcasm or not.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 12:12:24 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
You know what episodes you can watch about a million times? Toilet Paper. Bebe's Boobies Destroy Society. The Original one with Mitch Connors. Proper Condom Use (I'm a sucker for Mad Max references).

Stan showing up to his girlfriend's house and playing 'shock the monkey' was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.  

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 12:13:48 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

I cannot tell if this is sarcasm or not.

thick sarcasm. the origin clearly isn't up for interpretation, the use of the term is a little more flexible.

I think everyone has a slight variation on it.

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 12:15:09 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

Stan showing up to his girlfriend's house and playing 'shock the monkey' was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.  

Out of context this isn't nearly as funny, but here's a clip of it I found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKIKNYUP6Vc

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 12:19:10 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't know if hiatuses count but if so Beavis and Butthead look to be well on their way...the last season before they went off the air was pretty much a mess, but last night's episodes were great.

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDthMGtZKa4

swimming in a motor cycle jacket would be brutal.

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2011, 01:58:51 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I wonder if 'The Simpsons' could end up qualifying. They've been declining for about fifteen years now, but with the end of their run nearing I wonder if they could call in the 'big guns' and make for a few good seasons.

Based off the movie, which I thought was good but far from great, the answer is 'no.'

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 03:38:07 PM »

Offline boom

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 26
TP for Eva Mendes mention.  :o muy bueno!