Author Topic: is there such a thing as jumping back over the shark?  (Read 11860 times)

is there such a thing as jumping back over the shark?
« on: October 27, 2011, 09:03:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think the Office is coming back and possibly Big Bang Theory too, while Modern Family might be slipping

Re: is there such a thing as jumping back over the shark?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 10:24:23 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 10:29:01 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
You can't jump back over a shark...but you might have been mistaken for jumping a shark in the first place.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 09:39:58 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
http://www.katu.com/news/local/131565073.html

According to this and other stuff I saw about it you can surf a shark.  Wouldn't want to do that

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 09:44:04 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
the Office should have been cancelled years ago.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 09:58:31 AM »

Offline WBrownTrophy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Thanks Red
I think the Office is coming back and possibly Big Bang Theory too, while Modern Family might be slipping

I was thinking the same thing about the Office...I thought it had "Jumped the Shark", didn't think it was never going to be great again...but I have to say I have liked it this season so far.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."
                                   -Red Auerbach

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 10:37:39 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
You can't jump back over a shark...but you might have been mistaken for jumping a shark in the first place.

I say this is invalid. I think you can do it, though I can't really come up with any great examples. Here's some that's close:

- Saturday Night Live, but that's more cast related so not completely fair.

- Friday Night Lights was awfully close to jumping the shark in the second season with some truly abysmal plot lines

- South Park had some really dark years after the initial novelty wore off, and before they started to do the social commentary thing.

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 10:49:26 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

I say this is invalid. I think you can do it, though I can't really come up with any great examples. Here's some that's close:

- Friday Night Lights was awfully close to jumping the shark in the second season with some truly abysmal plot lines

- South Park had some really dark years after the initial novelty wore off, and before they started to do the social commentary thing.

I think it's important to distinguish between shows having a down year / losing narrative focus and cohesion versus running out of valid ideas and just going way out of bounds in order to keep the story going.

I think Weeds jumped the shark a few seasons ago.

Honestly, I view any show that tries to continue after the central character has left / died etc as having jumped the shark (Scrubs, Two and a Half Men, The Office, etc).
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 11:10:53 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

I think it's important to distinguish between shows having a down year / losing narrative focus and cohesion versus running out of valid ideas and just going way out of bounds in order to keep the story going.

I think Weeds jumped the shark a few seasons ago.

Honestly, I view any show that tries to continue after the central character has left / died etc as having jumped the shark (Scrubs, Two and a Half Men, The Office, etc).

I see jumping the shark as when a show has unquestionably lost it's fastball.

But you're right, the examples above -maybe with the exception of south park - are probably poor.

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 11:11:56 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I say this is invalid. I think you can do it, though I can't really come up with any great examples.

FALSE!

Jumping the Shark, as I'm sure you know, originated from when Fonzi literally jumped a shark in the season five premier of Happy Days. It shows that a show has exhausted its original premise, and the writers have run out of ideas.

Here's some that's close:

Right. But, SNL never really waivered from their path. I'd say they less 'Jumped The Shark, then jumped back over the shark' and more 'might have gone past the expiration date, but turns out its still good'. Jumping The Shark would've been making the auditions for a new cast member a reality show, and integrating it into SNL's show format.

Oh god that sounds like a kind of good idea that can ruin a show. Man I hope Lorne Michaels doesn't know how to google stuff yet. Oh man..I just said Lorne Michaels as well. If I say Lorne Michaels one more time, he'll know we're talking about him. Oh wait...

Look, I'm as likely as anyone to criticize the Tammy or Tyra-heavy storylines. But for all the hand wringing that has been done about season two (which, btw, is a new thing that has just started in like the last month or so), it still had Riggins, Coach Taylor, and Saerson. So, you're wrong. You're just wrong. That's like saying 'The Wire' jumped the shark in season 2 when they went to the docks. Yeah, its probably the worst season (although its a personal fav of mine..freakin Ziggy, amirite??), but its still better than 90% of the crap out there even on its worst day.

You mean like season 5? Like..you know...when they did Scott Tenorman Must Die, their best episode EVER?? Season 6, with Asspen, and Simpsons Did It? Season 7, with Toilet Paper and Hennifer Lopez?

No but in all seriousness, SP might have jumped the shark when they did get all political. It used to be subtle, now its just..overt and kind of forced. Like Weekend Update co-opted the show.

Also, boooo PosImpos for stealing my thunder!

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 11:29:22 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Look, I'm as likely as anyone to criticize the Tammy or Tyra-heavy storylines. But for all the hand wringing that has been done about season two (which, btw, is a new thing that has just started in like the last month or so), it still had Riggins, Coach Taylor, and Saerson. So, you're wrong. You're just wrong.

Minka Kelly's plot lines that season with the Christian Church, and her love triangle with Riggins and the guy who ran the Christian radio was pretty blah too.

You mean like season 5? Like..you know...when they did Scott Tenorman Must Die, their best episode EVER?? Season 6, with Asspen, and Simpsons Did It? Season 7, with Toilet Paper and Hennifer Lopez?

While there's certainly some good episodes in there, 2-5 strikes me as a time where I kinda lost interest in the show. I think I remember reading that the Trey & Matt both agreed that they kinda hated the show up until Season 3 where they finally got to actual jokes as opposed to toilet humor.

I don't know if it's necessarily jumped the shark, but I really lost interest in it about 5 years back and will only watch the episodes I hear people talk about.

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 11:42:39 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Look, I'm as likely as anyone to criticize the Tammy or Tyra-heavy storylines. But for all the hand wringing that has been done about season two (which, btw, is a new thing that has just started in like the last month or so), it still had Riggins, Coach Taylor, and Saerson. So, you're wrong. You're just wrong.

Minka Kelly's plot lines that season with the Christian Church, and her love triangle with Riggins and the guy who ran the Christian radio was pretty blah too.

The thing about Minka Kelley is that she's Minka Kelley. In the same was that 2 years ago I would've watched Jessica Alba do Sudoku, and 4 years ago I would've watched Eva Longoria play connect 4, and 6 years ago I would've watched Vida Guerra install McAfee anti-virus software, and 8 years ago I would've watched Eva Mendes play minesweeper, anything with Minka Kelley makes our lives richer and more full.

This also applies to Natalie Portman. 

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 11:43:04 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Sure, the NBA is trying to do it right now.

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 11:43:15 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

While there's certainly some good episodes in there, 2-5 strikes me as a time where I kinda lost interest in the show. I think I remember reading that the Trey & Matt both agreed that they kinda hated the show up until Season 3 where they finally got to actual jokes as opposed to toilet humor.

I don't know if it's necessarily jumped the shark, but I really lost interest in it about 5 years back and will only watch the episodes I hear people talk about.

The last 3 seasons of Southpark, including the current one, have been absolutely awesome.  The few before that were quite good as well.  Actually since Trey and Matt went to the Thursday to Wednesday format for everything (the recent documentary "6 Days to Air" is superb), it has been the best show on television.  I mean Wednesday's episode alone had countless references to Tebow's victory over the Dolphins on Sunday.  That is why that show is so great, it is totally 100% relevant and not months behind.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 11:48:32 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
The last 3 seasons of Southpark, including the current one, have been absolutely awesome.  The few before that were quite good as well.  Actually since Trey and Matt went to the Thursday to Wednesday format for everything (the recent documentary "6 Days to Air" is superb), it has been the best show on television.  I mean Wednesday's episode alone had countless references to Tebow's victory over the Dolphins on Sunday.  That is why that show is so great, it is totally 100% relevant and not months behind.

Couldn't you argue that this hurts the show too, though? The rewatchability is limited because every episode is so entangled in current events.