Author Topic: Finally, some Antoine news...  (Read 9448 times)

Finally, some Antoine news...
« on: October 27, 2011, 04:57:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
D-League Idaho Stampede to announce today that ex-NBA player Antoine Walker is re-signing with the club.

Link

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Finally, some Antoine news...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 05:04:41 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
He just couldn't get enough of that Boise night life.

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 05:10:20 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
D-League Idaho Stampede to announce today that ex-NBA player Antoine Walker is re-signing with the club.

Link

I find that really surprising.  Figured it was a one time experiment thing by him.  If no NBA team signed him last year, does he really think one will sign him this year?  I give him credit for swallowing his pride and trying to go that route though, but I think he needs to call it quits and try his hand as a coach, commentator, or analyst or something.  I love you though Antoine, prove me wrong!

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 05:16:35 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Link

I find that really surprising.  Figured it was a one time experiment thing by him.  If no NBA team signed him last year, does he really think one will sign him this year?  I give him credit for swallowing his pride and trying to go that route though, but I think he needs to call it quits and try his hand as a coach, commentator, or analyst or something.  I love you though Antoine, prove me wrong!

I think this might be an indication that people are not knocking down his door as a coach, commentator, or analyst.  He is trying to make some more money as a player while he still can.

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 05:21:40 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

Link

I'm sure he's thinking a paychecks is a paycheck

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 05:27:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Link

That would be my guess.  Also, he apparently likes playing for Randy Livingston.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 06:38:40 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Link

I think this might be an indication that people are not knocking down his door as a coach, commentator, or analyst.  He is trying to make some more money as a player while he still can.

While this might be true, I would find it hard to believe.

Say what you want about his play on the court (and decisions off of it), but Antoine is a smart, personable guy, and really knows the game, and has had success at all levels.

I'm under the impression that it's not that hard for a former player to become an analyst/commentator, and the better the player was, the easier it is to get your foot in the door.

Look at some of these lists of broadcast teams (current and former):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_on_ESPN_personalities
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_TV#Personalities
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_on_ABC_broadcasters
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN_College_Basketball_broadcast_teams

While some are obviously good, there are a bunch that are not so great,  and I feel Antoine has more personality, a better voice, and more experience than a lot of them (Scott Pollard!).  With all these different former players doing NBA and NCAA games, I feel if Antoine did the work, maybe took a few classes (I think I hear a few colleges, like Syracuse, have summer broadcasting crash courses for former players), he would be able to get work.

Also, with guys like Walter McCarty, Rod Strickland, working in the NCAA or Dee Brown, Randy Livingston coaching in the D-League, I feel if Antoine was willing to start at as an assistant and put the work in, he'd have no problem getting a job as a D-League or D1 assistant (likely at a major school too).  After putting in a couple of years work at the lower levels, it wouldn't be long till he got a 6 figure NBA assistant coaching job worst case.

Maybe it's true nobody wants Antoine in one of these roles, but I find it hard to believe that if he made the effort (like he's doing now playing in the D-League) and was willing to start low, that he couldn't get the foot in the door as an analyst (probably best situation) or as a D1 (maybe even NBA) assistant coach.  Just find it hard to believe.  Maybe nobody is calling him, but get out there and knock on some doors Antoine, I believe in you, you can do it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2HcRl4wSk

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 06:57:02 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Link

That would be my guess.  Also, he apparently likes playing for Randy Livingston.

If he's just trying to make a buck, couldn't he do much better overseas.
Yup

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 07:58:33 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
He just couldn't get enough of that Boise night life.

beat me to it. tp for you.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 09:00:13 PM »

Offline dmny5000

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20

Link

It sounds like he really likes the team and wants to help the Stampede win a championship. Almost feels like it's not about the money this time.

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 09:12:52 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Link

It sounds like he really likes the team and wants to help the Stampede win a championship. Almost feels like it's not about the money this time.

Wow.  Is a D-League championship even a big deal?  Don't they sometimes lose their best players to the NBA in the playoffs?
Yup

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 09:21:16 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
the shimmy is back

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 09:24:26 PM »

Offline dmny5000

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20

Link

Wow.  Is a D-League championship even a big deal?  Don't they sometimes lose their best players to the NBA in the playoffs?

I'm assuming it's somewhat of a big deal to the players, no matter where you're playing you always want to be the best. It's more of a pride thing for the players and I think Toine likes mentoring the young guys.

They do lose some better players and that must be pretty tough for teams to handle mentally when they were doing well.

His actual statement was:

"It's a great place to live and I'm hoping I can help this team make the playoffs and win a championship -- we've got some unfinished business to tend to," Walker said in a statement.

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 09:31:39 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Link

I'm assuming it's somewhat of a big deal to the players, no matter where you're playing you always want to be the best. It's more of a pride thing for the players and I think Toine likes mentoring the young guys.

They do lose some better players and that must be pretty tough for teams to handle mentally when they were doing well.

His actual statement was:

"It's a great place to live and I'm hoping I can help this team make the playoffs and win a championship -- we've got some unfinished business to tend to," Walker said in a statement.

Curt Shilling : Red Sox
Antoine : Idaho Stamede
Yup