Author Topic: BS Report W/ Billy Hunter  (Read 13292 times)

Re: BS Report W/ Billy Hunter
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2011, 10:13:56 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Small market teams do not want to get on board with this.

They want to make profits and handcuff the larger markets' ability to spend on big name stars.

Small markets want to bring the spending ceiling down to their level, not up to their larger market brethren's level.

I question if this is true. A no-cap league could present them an option where they're guaranteed revenue.

It might ruin the 'competitive balance' but some owners might enjoy the thought of being able to open up the doors, and collect a profit.

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2011, 10:44:59 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

They want to make profits and handcuff the larger markets' ability to spend on big name stars.

Small markets want to bring the spending ceiling down to their level, not up to their larger market brethren's level.

I question if this is true. A no-cap league could present them an option where they're guaranteed revenue.

It might ruin the 'competitive balance' but some owners might enjoy the thought of being able to open up the doors, and collect a profit.

I am not sure there are any owners like that other than Donald Sterling. 

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2011, 10:50:07 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

Sarver, probably Gilbert

« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2011, 11:14:14 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Sarver, probably Gilbert

Sarver maybe, although I personally think he is a just bipolar about spending money...he spends it before thinking, then when he realizes he can't afford it, he does stupid things to make up for the earlier mistake.

However, Gilbert is a guy who put a ton of money into his team when they were winning, and has been throwing plenty of money at them now, in order to rebuild. 

When you use a trade exception to take on Baron Davis' contract just to get a draft pick (he did not know it would be the #1 overall at the time), then you really cannot be that cheap.

I think Gilbert genuinely wants to put a winner on the floor at all times.  He is just a hard liner because the team is in Cleveland, and they don't bring in anywhere near the kind of revenue teams in bigger markets bring in.

« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2011, 12:23:49 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
But surely there's enough if these debates continue. These businessmen understand the role of capitalism in a competitive environment.

« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2011, 12:37:32 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I tweeted this as a joke:

But Ed Stefanaski got hired as the VP of Basketball Operations for the Raptors. What are the chances Billy Hunter leads today's meeting with this?

« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2011, 01:40:24 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Berger reports that owners have backed down from 50/50 split and are now willing to go to 51.5.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/15850631/nba-deal-can-finally-be-done-if-reason-prevails

SWAG

« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2011, 01:55:14 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Now Sam Amico of Fox Sports (not familiar with him) is reporting that sides are "close and very determined"

http://www.iamagm.com/news/2011/10/26/foxsports.reporting.two.sides.are.very.determined.and.are.close?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2011, 02:02:40 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Berger reports that owners have backed down from 50/50 split and are now willing to go to 51.5.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/15850631/nba-deal-can-finally-be-done-if-reason-prevails

SWAG

Just to temper that a bit, that was from an unnamed source, and it was not an actual offer...just where they felt it would ultimately end up.

The more important issue however is that for both sides, any discussion of the split is linked with the system.  So, while the owners may be willing to go to 51.5%, they would likely only do it under certain conditions for the system...and of course the players would be in the same boat.

« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2011, 02:27:31 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

SWAG

Just to temper that a bit, that was from an unnamed source, and it was not an actual offer...just where they felt it would ultimately end up.

The more important issue however is that for both sides, any discussion of the split is linked with the system.  So, while the owners may be willing to go to 51.5%, they would likely only do it under certain conditions for the system...and of course the players would be in the same boat.

On the other hand, Berger has been pretty consistent and on point with his reports.

I'm not inferring the lockouts over, but it's encouraging that the owners have come today's meeting willing to negotiate again.

« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

SWAG

The more important issue however is that for both sides, any discussion of the split is linked with the system.  So, while the owners may be willing to go to 51.5%, they would likely only do it under certain conditions for the system...and of course the players would be in the same boat.

On the other hand, Berger has been pretty consistent and on point with his reports.

I'm not inferring the lockouts over, but it's encouraging that the owners have come today's meeting willing to negotiate again.

I am not questioning Berger's report (he has been right on).  I am just saying that the report didn't actually say that the owners had offered, or were even willing to offer 51.5%.  Here is exactly what he said:

a person in frequent contact with ownership told CBSSports.com this week that 51.5 percent is, in fact, the presumed landing spot for the players' share. According to the source, one owner recently confided to associates that the union's affinity for "odd numbers" and fact that 51.5 was a logical midpoint between the various "bands" each side has proposed signaled that such a split ultimately would get done.

So, in other words, a source who has contact with ownership believes the landing spot is 51.5%, and one owner confided that 51.5% was a logical midpoint.

While it is certainly positive news, it also is a far cry from the owners actually agreeing to offer or accept 51.5%.

« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2011, 02:40:01 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2011, 03:08:42 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2011, 04:24:35 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Via Woj:

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Two sources -- one on ownership side, one union -- with direct knowledge of latest proposals are encouraged with movement on both sides.