Author Topic: PB&J  (Read 15651 times)

Re: PB&J
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 07:10:39 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
As a voice for the OCD end of CB, (there are more of us than you think, haha!), I have to say that the truly perfect PB&J is thusly constructed:

J.J. Nissen's Canadian Brown Bread, (not remotely like the brown bread served with beans, but a butter-top loaf with a hint of molasses), one half spread with Welch's Pure Grape Jelly, the other half spread with Jif, (I prefer Crunchy).

Make sure both are spread evenly to the edges, and clean/rinse knife in-between, (to avoid cross-contamination), and then join by placing the PB side on top of jelly side, (the key is not which is put on first, but putting each on it's own half of bread).

Flip sandwhich over, (jelly side up), slice diagonally, and serve with Lay's Original Classic, (or Cape Cod Kettle), and a cold glass of milk.

Voila ... bon appetit! ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 08:00:36 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
If I had any friends on this board, I  am about to lose them.  I don't eat PB & J sandwiches!  I love peanut butter, and I love jelly...but not together.  I would have a peanut butter and marshmallow fluff (fluffernutter) or a cream cheese and jelly sandwich.   Please don't hate me...it is probably my mother's fault, because...everything is your mother's fault...  :'(
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 08:22:59 PM by thirstyboots18 »
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 08:08:26 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I'm usually a PB first, wipe the knife on the other piece of bread, then jelly

but if I'm feeling extra hungry and don't want two sandwiches, I go with the triple decker: three slices of bread with PB and J in there twice - and I like a lot of (crunchy) PB too
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 09:15:41 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Interesting thread.

I'm normally a peanut butter spreader first, but oddly enough I found myself spreading the jelly first just this afternoon.

I glanced at this thread last night....I wonder if I subliminally changed pace due to the thread, lol

Even odder (if there is such a word) - my wife rarely eats PB and J, but asked me to fix her one after church this afternoon.

The man from this old school commercial is straight-forward...he knows what he wants, and is a no-frills guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hawQ5wobi1Y

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 10:23:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
As a voice for the OCD end of CB, (there are more of us than you think, haha!), I have to say that the truly perfect PB&J is thusly constructed:

J.J. Nissen's Canadian Brown Bread, (not remotely like the brown bread served with beans, but a butter-top loaf with a hint of molasses), one half spread with Welch's Pure Grape Jelly, the other half spread with Jif, (I prefer Crunchy).

Make sure both are spread evenly to the edges, and clean/rinse knife in-between, (to avoid cross-contamination), and then join by placing the PB side on top of jelly side, (the key is not which is put on first, but putting each on it's own half of bread).

Flip sandwhich over, (jelly side up), slice diagonally, and serve with Lay's Original Classic, (or Cape Cod Kettle), and a cold glass of milk.

Voila ... bon appetit! ;)

Odd remnant from my childhood, but if it's one of the rare occasions when I make a pbj sandwich and am having potato chips with it, I still throw a few chips in the middle of the sandwich before I put the pieces of bread together. *Extra* crunchy...

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 10:32:41 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
If I had any friends on this board, I  am about to lose them.  I don't eat PB & J sandwiches!  I love peanut butter, and I love jelly...but not together.  I would have a peanut butter and marshmallow fluff (fluffernutter) or a cream cheese and jelly sandwich.   Please don't hate me...it is probably my mother's fault, because...everything is your mother's fault...  :'(

Cream cheese (or any cheese for that matter) and jelly, now you are definitely speaking my language.  Mmm.

The fluffernutters, not so much. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 12:16:41 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
This thread is 2 for 2 when it comes to making me want to get up and make a PB-J.

Another TP for the threadstarter.

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 12:36:38 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I gotta go with Thirstyboots on this one -- I've never really been a PB & J guy.

Although I was recently introduced (by my girlfriend) to the awesome snack that is apple slices slathered with smooth peanut butter (and perhaps Nutella).

If we're gonna talk about our favorite sandwiches in general, though, you can't do much better, in my opinion, than some red pepper hummus on toasted whole wheat bread with a slice of swiss cheese and a couple slices of deli turkey -- maybe with a slice or two of tomato, too, and a little bit of shredded lettuce if you  have some (but not too much).

*this is a fun topic for 12:30 at night when I'm supposed to be working on a writing assignment*
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 12:53:39 AM »

Kiorrik

You, flippin', Americans.

Seriously.

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2011, 07:05:18 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
You, flippin', Americans.

Seriously.

said the man with his head flipped over
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2011, 08:42:53 AM »

Offline WBrownTrophy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Thanks Red
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOaGkPXn9LQ

the BBPB&J

He strategically puts PB on both sides of the bread so the jelly does not leak on either side. Classic.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."
                                   -Red Auerbach

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2011, 09:35:07 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If one of them has a squeezable tube (usually jelly though have seen peanut butter that way as well), I do that one second.  If neither can be squeezed, I do the peanut butter first so I can wipe the excess on the other piece of bread and then spread the jelly over the peanut butter.  As has been pointed out, you can't spread peanut butter over jelly so you can't do it in reverse.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2011, 09:51:36 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Jelly is hard to spread, it just coagulates and moves in a clump, so when I am making a jelly roll (which is practically never), I use a fork to spread it instead of a knife...spreads much easier.  I already said I don't make PB & J sandwiches...)

Oh, and it makes one more utensil to clean up...don't forget to clean up your mess!   :P
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 01:03:31 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I pretty much have a PNJ sandwich every single day.

Creamy Skippy first, wipe knife off and put on strawberry preserves. If I opt for regular grape jelly, I usually buy the squeeze bottle for convenience.

Put that on a multigrain sandwich thin, and I can have that any time of the day.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 01:35:07 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Although I was recently introduced (by my girlfriend) to the awesome snack that is apple slices slathered with smooth peanut butter.
Bomb.  Try adding whipped cream and chocolate syrup.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale