Author Topic: Free Agent Centers  (Read 19731 times)

Free Agent Centers
« on: September 27, 2011, 10:26:48 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I'm starting to get the itch to take a look at our current roster and potential free agents.  So help me research centers (the most obvious, glaring need)

Here's a quick list of centers that will be free agents and might fall in our price range (I'm leaving out big ticket guys like Nene, Chandler, and even DeAndre)

Przbilla - is he hurt still?
Jeff Foster - same question
Kwame Brown
Jason Collins
Dan Gadzuric (sp?)
Aaron Gray
Dampier - did he retire?
Curry - probably going to the Heat if he can lose enough weight

who did I miss?  can anyone answer my above questions?

by the way, THIS is why losing Krstic hurts, not because he was any great shakes, but because he would be high on this list

thanks
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: Free Agent Centers
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 10:28:43 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Is Dalembert what you consider a "big ticket guy"?  Kind of on the border if Deandre jordan is.... but Dalembert could likely be had for the MLE
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 10:29:30 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
Is Dalembert what you consider a "big ticket guy"?

yes, I don't think he'll sign for less than the MLE or at least a long term deal that Danny won't give him

for the purposes of this analysis, I'm assuming that Danny won't use the MLE on anyone that he doesn't want to build around - maybe DeAndre fits that description, but I doubt it

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 10:37:37 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Spencer Hawes (he is restricted I believe, but I like him)
McRoberts
Elson
Magloire
Ratliff
Brandan Wright
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 10:47:36 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
My #1 realistic choice would be Kwame.  He is the best low post defender available (well, that can actually stay on the court, unlike Przybilla), and has become underrated as he has become a very solid center over the last couple of years.

Jason Collins may be in a similar group as a guy who is a solid defender, and is undervalued.

I also would love a guy like Hawes, but I think Philly would match anything reasonable for him. 

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 11:17:15 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think Joel Przybilla should be the top target.

Previously, I felt Kwame Brown was the best option but I changed my mind a few weeks ago after reading reports that Przybilla was doing much better physically and had finally recovered from that horrific knee injury. If that's true, that makes him the best candidate heading forward.

---------------------------------------------

Przybilla has twice undergone surgery for a ruptured patella tendon and had some minor, clean-up surgery in April.

Przybilla’s knee issues limited him to only 36 games last season with Charlotte and Portland. But the 31-year-old Przybilla said his knee is substantially better now.

“Last season it was probably about 50 percent,” Przybilla said. “I never said anything about that or complained about it. I just went out and played.

“I would say it’s 90 percent now. If I didn’t think my knee was fine, I wouldn’t give this another chance.”

Przybilla was so disenchanted about the chronic soreness in his knee and how it adversely affected his play last season that he contemplated retiring.

“Oh, yeah, there were times when I thought I was going to do that,” said Przybilla, who was selected by Houston as the ninth overall pick the 2000 NBA draft before being dealt to the Bucks for their first-round pick (Jason Collier) and future first-round pick. “I wasn’t playing much and, when I was playing, I wasn’t playing well.

“It was really frustrating going out there and not being able to play to my capabilities.”

http://www.journaltimes.com/sports/article_5f31be5e-dc16-11e0-943d-001cc4c002e0.html

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 11:18:47 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
great research, just what I'm looking for, thanks

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 11:26:35 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I think Joel Przybilla should be the top target.

Previously, I felt Kwame Brown was the best option but I changed my mind a few weeks ago after reading reports that Przybilla was doing much better physically and had finally recovered from that horrific knee injury. If that's true, that makes him the best candidate heading forward.

---------------------------------------------

Przybilla has twice undergone surgery for a ruptured patella tendon and had some minor, clean-up surgery in April.

Przybilla’s knee issues limited him to only 36 games last season with Charlotte and Portland. But the 31-year-old Przybilla said his knee is substantially better now.

“Last season it was probably about 50 percent,” Przybilla said. “I never said anything about that or complained about it. I just went out and played.

“I would say it’s 90 percent now. If I didn’t think my knee was fine, I wouldn’t give this another chance.”

Przybilla was so disenchanted about the chronic soreness in his knee and how it adversely affected his play last season that he contemplated retiring.

“Oh, yeah, there were times when I thought I was going to do that,” said Przybilla, who was selected by Houston as the ninth overall pick the 2000 NBA draft before being dealt to the Bucks for their first-round pick (Jason Collier) and future first-round pick. “I wasn’t playing much and, when I was playing, I wasn’t playing well.

“It was really frustrating going out there and not being able to play to my capabilities.”

http://www.journaltimes.com/sports/article_5f31be5e-dc16-11e0-943d-001cc4c002e0.html

I am a huge Przybilla fan, but I don't want to be relying on a combination of Przybilla and JO as our centers.  Unless they are getting a third center who can start if needed, then I just would not risk it.  The guy just can't stay on the court.

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 12:08:37 PM »

Offline toneskeet

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
What about Fesenko from Utah, I believe he's a FA. I would be happy with 2 of the 3 (fesenko, przybilla, brown) with JO as the starter.

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 12:11:06 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
yeah, I think there are tiers involved here

we need ...

1. a reliable backup (Brown?)
2. a 3rd string and/or a high upside risk guy (Przbilla)
3. a flyer on a young guy (undrafted free agent?)

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 12:17:07 PM »

Offline Inside-Out

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Kwame is a good defender and competent rebounder, good health, and can run the floor.

However...

He has no chance of catching any of Rondo's passes, and I think Rondo and KG will get together and beat the crap out of him.  So...no on Kwame.

Pryzbilla injured himself in the shower, so...no.  We need someone with a good track record of health, IMO.

I'm not sure McRoberts is a viable C for size reasons, but he is a hustle guy, relatively healthy (I think), and that's pretty much what we need.  Especially with other guys aging, someone to chase down the ball and give energy would be good.  Unfortunately, that's supposed to be BBD's job, if he still wants it.

A team can handle an aging vet, maybe two, with a history of health problems, but last season PROVED that gambling on the health of multiple key players is not a good idea when those key players have show, season after season, that their health just doesn't hold up.

I think it's time for Danny to quit screwing around and lock up a key role player for more than 1-2 seasons.

It's time to sign a guy like Dalembert.

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 12:30:55 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
gotta disagree there - I think locking up Dalembert would be a big mistake - he's like a poor man's skinny Perkins and would kill any chance we'd have at cap room in the next season - if we were going that route, we'd have just kept Perkins

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 12:33:01 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Would rather have Dalembert or Nene.

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 12:36:20 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter

as would I, but at what cost?

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 12:37:31 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Nene is not signing anywhere for the MLE, so don't hold out hope on that one.

Dalembert is an interesting one.  I think he will be available for the MLE (if there is one), and on the surface he is probably the most talented center available.

I personally have no interest in him.  He is all flash and no substance IMO, and despite his gaudy block numbers, he hurts defenses more than he helps.  He is one of the worst team defenders in the league, and refuses to play within a system.

With all that said...he could be a legitimate target.