Author Topic: Free Agent Centers  (Read 19732 times)

Re: Free Agent Centers
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2011, 02:14:54 AM »

Offline Inside-Out

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
As I think it over, maybe we don't need a Center after all...

If KG starts at C, and JO backs him up, with BBD the emergency #3 Center, then is C really a position of need after all?

If KG starts at C, should we be looking at potential Free Agent Power Forwards?  Who's on that list?

« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2011, 05:42:31 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
KG doesn't like playing C folks.  He likes shooting jumpers.

« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2011, 07:29:57 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
actually that makes him like every other center in the league that tries to score except for Dwight.

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2011, 11:17:14 AM »

Offline Inside-Out

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
I wasn't too high on Kwame Brown before, but surely after reading the bit that Kobe said about playing with Kwame in LA during that interview, there is no way at all that I'd take Kwame on the Celtics, perhaps even for the minimum.  I'd rather take a flier on a series of non-guaranteed NBDL prospects, hoping to find a servicable big, than to sign Kwame.  No freakin' way.

Whew...

But that sure does make the potential list of FA centers really, really short - especially for "healthy" guys - doesn't it?

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
KG doesn't like playing C folks.  He likes shooting jumpers.

good point. and i thought that last season this hurt the celtics on a number of occasions.

while having him shoot from outside did open the middle, i am not sure there was anyone from the celtics to  consistently "fill the middle" and take advantage of this.

also, the celtics offensive rebounding suffered with kg being so far away from the basket.

oh yeah...it also hurt when kg was cold from the field from outside.

i would prefer to have kg fight down low more often. but i suppose at this stage of his career, that is not his preference.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2011, 12:13:07 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Although I see the logistics of such an acquisition pretty much insurrmountable, getting Big Al would be a good fit precisely because KG doesn't play down low.  Big Al could play that role and he would score in bunches.  He would still see lots of double teams from Rondo's man but overall, I think he would get a lot of good looks that he would be able to convert.  The key is good ball movement (which the Celtics generally create) and avoid the isolation low post thing.  Essentially be like Shaq was earlier in the season.

On defense, a bigger, more of a banger type of center as compaerd to Al, KG or JO, would be nice but the roster is never going to be perfect.

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2011, 11:04:07 PM »

Offline mcshane41

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
Is DeAndre Jordan really outside of an "MLE" type offer? I mean, I wouldn't at all be surprised if the cheapo clippers didn't want to pay two Centers and trading Kaman may be hard with a 12M salary.

Just asking here b/c he'd be a perfect fit for what we need (Young, Size, Rebounding, Blocks/D). With his above the rim game I bet Rondo would find him regular easy buckets/dunks. Be a nice pice for now and post big 3. I know HOward is a fun plan, but Rondo/Green and an athletic/Defensive Center might be a very nice base to build from. We need to find a scorer/star in the draft at the 2/3/4 to finish the team off but that may be more likely than signing DH.

I'd be interest to hear from more informed folks what the chance of an MLE offer succeding here would be...

« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2011, 12:59:16 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

TP b/c for w/e reason I laughed at this...

Its %100 true, especially at age 35

As long as we could pick up a decent C to just crash the boards and a reliable backup big besides JO, then we'd be fine. The Perk trade proved he was "over rated" Love the guy, want him back, think he deserved the contract completely, but the Celtics team made Perk look better than he was. All he had to do was 20 games a year play solid D against a few top Centers, rebound and make hard fouls. Top that off with fumbling open hand offs in the paint and you see why any legit C could do that job...

I propose a trade with the Bobcats. Something along the lines of Tyrus Thomas and Corey Maggette for Green and BBD?
Talented PF and overpaid 6th man for underachiever with propect and one time overachiever with extra weight?
Can't stop, Rondo!