Author Topic: Free Agent Centers  (Read 19729 times)

Re: Free Agent Centers
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2011, 03:10:40 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Dalambert sucks straight up!

Nene is the best center free agent by a mile.

Of what's out there I'd take K.Brown then Pryzbilla.

Whatever happened to the fat kid we had in the NBDL.

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2011, 03:16:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

He's a fat kid playing in the NBDL.

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2011, 05:13:53 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

If you mean Tiny Gallon, he was traded to Bakersfield for a draft pick.  Some statements by Austin Ainge suggest there may have been attitude problems.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2011, 01:51:41 AM »

Offline Inside-Out

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Of course, Doc could actually do something interesting with the lineups and make the whole Center problem moot...

Start KG at center and JG at PF, run like heck, then pull in BBD and/or JO early.  JO's inevitable injury that costs him 25-45+ games doesn't screw up the starters that way, and the uptempo game might make it easier for that rook PF to get some minutes, too.

Once we know how many games we'll have this season, we should do a "how many games will JO miss" poll...that's really what I'm worried about with bigs.

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2011, 08:56:19 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
JO's inevitable injury that costs him 25-45+ games doesn't screw up the starters that way

Once we know how many games we'll have this season, we should do a "how many games will JO miss" poll...that's really what I'm worried about with bigs.
Me too ... no comfort at all in Jermaine being a starter next year.

A 15-20 minute backup I can live with so long as the team has good depth behind him. But not a starter.

« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2011, 12:31:48 PM »

Offline Inside-Out

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
JO's inevitable injury that costs him 25-45+ games doesn't screw up the starters that way

Me too ... no comfort at all in Jermaine being a starter next year.

A 15-20 minute backup I can live with so long as the team has good depth behind him. But not a starter.

Right.  The thing with the FA options out there is that I don't really consider any of them starters, especially the minimum guys, or they're pretty fragile as well.

I'm not a Dalembert fan, really, but I just don't see any other viable option as a starter in the FA pool, and obtaining a starter-quality big in trade would likely require trading Ray for salary purposes, which I don't like much either (especially if it's a shortened season).  It's not time to trade Ainge for Pinkney and Kleine again.

However...Ray and a pick+filler for the return of Big Al might be worth thinking about.

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2011, 04:19:59 AM »

Offline Savex

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
Sorry cannot help you.
I'm new here too.
Just came for support.
Hope you can finished it earlier.

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2011, 12:50:08 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I would love to get Al Jefferson back in green.
He was averaging 16 points and 11 rebounds when he left us.
Utah is overloaded in the paint and we could use his toughness as a much upgraded Perkins who can actually score the ball.
I'm not sure if he's a free agent at the same time as Dwight, but he should be on our radar if Dwight heading north is looking grim. (i think he's 2013 FA)

What would we have to give up to get him?
Probably too much, but he sure is underrated although not completely injury free, and if we had the cash at the time he might be a good fit. I think his defense would improve in our help system.
I'd love him in there with our veteran core.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 12:55:22 PM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2011, 01:37:05 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Utah is overloaded in the paint and we could use his toughness as a much upgraded Perkins who can actually score the ball.
I'm not sure if he's a free agent at the same time as Dwight, but he should be on our radar if Dwight heading north is looking grim. (i think he's 2013 FA)

Probably too much, but he sure is underrated although not completely injury free, and if we had the cash at the time he might be a good fit. I think his defense would improve in our help system.

I think Utah will look to hold onto Al Jefferson for another 12-24 months before they consider parting with him. I think he is penciled in to that starting center position there with Enes Kanter being viewed as too raw to play major minutes + Memo Okur too much of a health risk.

So, for the time being, I think Utah's asking price would be quite high and that the C's wouldn't be able to meet it.

I think Utah would be more open to moving one of their other big men. Either Memo Okur or Paul Millsap. Either one of those guys could be available for a good price (bargain).

« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2011, 02:00:07 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
However...Ray and a pick+filler for the return of Big Al might be worth thinking about.

I'm not enthusiastic about Al Jefferson, but I suspect you should start with Ray+salary filler, the Clippers pick, and a future first-round pick as an idea of what you might have to send out.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2011, 02:32:02 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I think Utah will look to hold onto Al Jefferson for another 12-24 months before they consider parting with him. I think he is penciled in to that starting center position there with Enes Kanter being viewed as too raw to play major minutes + Memo Okur too much of a health risk.

So, for the time being, I think Utah's asking price would be quite high and that the C's wouldn't be able to meet it.

I think Utah would be more open to moving one of their other big men. Either Memo Okur or Paul Millsap. Either one of those guys could be available for a good price (bargain).

Milsap would be worth looking at, Okur not so much, I think he's done.

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2011, 07:59:36 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85

Milsap would be worth looking at, Okur not so much, I think he's done.

Al Jefferson could be a very real possibility with the amnesty clause likely in the new CBA. He's their biggest and longest contract so he would likely get the axe. Even though he was already here once, he's only 26 and most likely hasn't peaked yet. could be PF of the future beside (who we all hope) Dwight?

« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2011, 08:10:10 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
why do we think dwight would come here?

kg turned us down until he heard ray was comin..

im mean what do we have to offer..and his reason for comin here cant be about money if we want his best ballin

« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2011, 10:14:36 PM »

Offline toneskeet

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
Money, tradition, coaching, market size, cap space, ownership dedicated to winning, league's BEST set up man and true point guard, defensive mindsets, more than likely an above solid supporting cast, possibly veterans that want to win (Pierce and maybe Ray and KG coming back at reduced rates)

« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2011, 11:06:09 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Al Jefferson could be a very real possibility with the amnesty clause likely in the new CBA. He's their biggest and longest contract so he would likely get the axe.
I can't see Utah waiving Al Jefferson. Under the amnesty clause, Utah would still have to pay Al Jefferson his contract in full. It just wouldn't count against their salary cap. The financial hit would be huge and not worth it in Al's case.

Big Al is still a very useful player who averaged just under 20 and 10 last year and was posting 22/11 after Deron Williams left the club. Arguably the most talented low post scorer in the league. He offers real value to them as a player. A difference maker.

Furthermore, if Utah wanted to rid themselves of the contract it would be cheaper for them to trade Big Al for an expiring contract or to a team that is below the cap for a trade exception. They'd have no problem finding a deal like that.

No value in using the amnesty clause on Big Al for Utah.