Author Topic: Paul Pierce not included in ESPN's top 20 players...right or wrong?  (Read 16114 times)

Re: Paul Pierce not included in ESPN's top 20 players...right or wrong?
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2011, 02:26:39 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

If you trade Love for Pierce, I wonder if the Wolves win less games. I also wonder if the C's win more games.

Think about it.

Rondo
Ray
Daniels or Green
KG
Love for 73 games, 36 minutes a contest

vs

Ridnour
Johnson
Pierce
Beasley
Milicic

Minnesota undoubtedly win more games with Paul Pierce than Kevin Love.

The Celtics probably would win more games too but that is more about the quality depth on the wing vs the lack of quality big men around KG. Plus, Kevin himself, who is about the perfect defensive complement to a guy like Kevin Love. The quickness to defend the troublesome fours with the size to contest fives where needed.

Win win.

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2011, 02:38:26 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

If you trade Love for Pierce, I wonder if the Wolves win less games. I also wonder if the C's win more games.

Think about it.

Rondo
Ray
Daniels or Green
KG

vs

Ridnour
Johnson
Pierce
Beasley
Milicic

The Celtics probably would win more games too but that is more about the quality depth on the wing vs the lack of quality big men around KG. Plus, Kevin himself, who is about the perfect defensive complement to a guy like Kevin Love. The quickness to defend the troublesome fours with the size to contest fives where needed.

Win win.
Plus spacing concerns caused by Rondo would be far less with two big men who can shoot jump shots at an incredibly efficent clip.

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2011, 02:59:07 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
2. Helping your team win has nothing to do with being a good player?

Helping your team win has a lot to do with being a good player. I never said it didn't. But, all things being equal (as in level of supporting casts), would Pierce's greater experience and savvy help his team more than Love's skill, athleticism, and ability? That one is really ambiguous.
Well that's the debate, and in my opinion, yes.  I respect that your opinion is different.  I just don't understand why, if you're looking at equal supporting casts, that you would look at who puts up better numbers on a bad team before you look at who is better at advancing a good team in the playoffs.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2011, 04:37:54 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Say you trade Love for Pierce, I don't see how the Wolves win less games.

In basketball, I can't see "value" defined as anything other than helping your team win games/banners.

I get the "singular force" argument, but I think there's a difference between a good singular force (Dwight) and good stats on a bad team.  The question shouldn't be, "Would Pierce put up better numbers on a bad team?" it should be, "Does Love have the same value on any team, good or bad?"

Think about it.

Rondo
Ray
Daniels or Green
KG

vs

Ridnour
Johnson
Pierce
Beasley
Milicic

Honestly, I don't see how the wolves win more games. On the C's, Love replicates Pierce's scoring output, plus the C's rebounding jumps 2 or 3 levels. The defense might drop some, but who knows how Love (a pretty great teammate and hard worker by all accounts) reacts to KG's presence with his defense output.

And when the offense breaks down, or you need an isolation score who are you giving the ball too? This question might criticize Pierce a bit, but he is without a doubt our best isolation scorer. That is why we got as far as we did last year and not farther all in one. We aren't a better team with Kevin Love on out team instead of Pierce.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2011, 04:42:25 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

Think about it.

Rondo
Ray

Not so sure about this... Pierce shoots the three well at this point in his career. Neither Green or especially Daniels is a great outside shot.

I don't agree that Love & Green/Daniels space the floor better then Pierce & Baby/Jermaine.
Daniels or Green
KG

vs

Ridnour
Johnson
Pierce
Beasley
Milicic

Win win.
Plus spacing concerns caused by Rondo would be far less with two big men who can shoot jump shots at an incredibly efficent clip.

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2011, 05:07:07 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

In basketball, I can't see "value" defined as anything other than helping your team win games/banners.

I get the "singular force" argument, but I think there's a difference between a good singular force (Dwight) and good stats on a bad team.  The question shouldn't be, "Would Pierce put up better numbers on a bad team?" it should be, "Does Love have the same value on any team, good or bad?"

Think about it.

Rondo
Ray
Daniels or Green
KG

vs

Ridnour
Johnson
Pierce
Beasley
Milicic

Honestly, I don't see how the wolves win more games. On the C's, Love replicates Pierce's scoring output, plus the C's rebounding jumps 2 or 3 levels. The defense might drop some, but who knows how Love (a pretty great teammate and hard worker by all accounts) reacts to KG's presence with his defense output.

And when the offense breaks down, or you need an isolation score who are you giving the ball too? This question might criticize Pierce a bit, but he is without a doubt our best isolation scorer. That is why we got as far as we did last year and not farther all in one. We aren't a better team with Kevin Love on out team instead of Pierce.
Rondo = he'd be the only quality shot-creator on the team.

He'd have a larger role offensively.

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »

Offline throwedoff

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
Pierce should definently be in the top 20 he had guys like Ginoblli Duncan nd Love ahead of him. He's better then Ginoblli nd better then Dunacan at this point of their careers. Pierce is coming off one of his better years efficiency wise he should be top 20

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2011, 06:12:33 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

Think about it.

Rondo
Ray
Daniels or Green
KG

vs

Ridnour
Johnson
Pierce
Beasley
Milicic

Rondo = he'd be the only quality shot-creator on the team.

He'd have a larger role offensively.

With his reluctance to get fouled and lack of a consistent jump shot I don't like that. But that's me.

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2011, 08:11:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
For those saying that Pierce is without a question better than Manu Ginobili, have you compared what each means to his team and taken a look at their stats?

Manu's Per36 numbers are better than Pierce's almost across the board except for shooting percentage the last two years. He also had a better PER while being pretty much the 3rd best SG in the league the last 2 years. Manu is also probably the most important player on his team when it comes to their ability to be contenders anymore. I'm not so sure I can say the same thing about Pierce.

Anyway, I think they are fairly close in overall ability but I think at this point, Manu effects the outcome of the game more for his team than Pierce so I would have him ahead of Pierce. Not by much mind you.

I just think its not as clear cut as some are making it out to be. Manu is a hell of a player.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 10:55:55 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2011, 10:36:13 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
                     paul been hated on for years....

people told me he was a "poor man's kobe"

all kinda dissin..

he in my top 3 and thats all that matters...

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2011, 11:19:59 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
For those saying that Pierce is without a question better than Manu Ginobili, have you compared what each means to his team and taken a look at their stats?

Manu's Per36 numbers are better than Pierce's almost across the board except for shooting percentage the last two years. He also had a better PER while being pretty much the 3rd best SG in the league the last 2 years. Manu is also probably the most important player on his team when it comes to their ability to be contenders anymore. I'm not so sure I can say the same thing about Pierce.

Anyway, I think they are fairly close in overall ability but I think at this point, Manu effects the outcome of the game more for his team than Pierce so I would have him ahead of Pierce. Not by much mind you.

I just think its not as clear cut as some are making it out to be. Manu is a hell of a player.

Manu was the clear MVP of a 61 win team last year.  Paul was one of a cast of rotating best 3 or 4 players on a 56 win team last year.

Cut and dry to me.

Not trying to diminish what Pierce means to the Celtics, or his abilities as a player, but Manu is just a better overall player who carried the Spurs at times last year -- even hitting clutch shots left and right in the playoffs to keep them alive against the Grizzlies when he had an elbow injury.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2011, 11:28:17 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Also let me just say I'm not trying to knock what pierce is to us. He a perfect fit, and a neigh indispensable cog in the best machine in the NBA, as long as it has all it's parts.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2011, 12:55:58 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

Manu was the clear MVP of a 61 win team last year.  Paul was one of a cast of rotating best 3 or 4 players on a 56 win team last year.

Cut and dry to me.

Not trying to diminish what Pierce means to the Celtics, or his abilities as a player, but Manu is just a better overall player who carried the Spurs at times last year -- even hitting clutch shots left and right in the playoffs to keep them alive against the Grizzlies when he had an elbow injury.

Yeah but sadly he hasn't been there for his team when it mattered most in the playoffs. Durability needs to be factored in here.