Author Topic: So, any other Brewer fans out there?  (Read 11786 times)

So, any other Brewer fans out there?
« on: September 04, 2011, 08:35:03 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
As a long-suffering Brewer fan (and the only one I know of in RI), I was curious if there's any other Brewer fans out there in Celtic land. 

Admittedly, I've walked away from the game after the cancellation of the World Series almost 20 years ago (obviously I have a problem with grudges - still hate those freaking Cardinals thanks to '82) and find being drawn back into the game a little troubling but [dang]ed if I can't help following them the past few years as they've gotten better.

Is there anyone out there who's been following them closely that can share some in-depth info on the team?  I know the players and know who is playing well and not but if there's anyone with a solid appraisal of the team's chances this year to do some damage in the playoffs, I'd appreciate hearing from them.

Re: So, any other Brewer fans out there?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 10:56:17 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Not a Brewers fan, but i like their team and I'm happy that they're relevant again.

I liked them back in the late 70's & early 80's.  I was a big Cecil Cooper fan as a kid (hated him being traded from the Sox).  Gorman Thomas was a favorite as well.

Anyhow...good luck!
Yup

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 10:23:36 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Should make it to the NLCS against the Phillies, but their run ends there.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 08:40:06 AM »

Offline BUTerrier

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 53
Is there anyone out there who's been following them closely that can share some in-depth info on the team?  I know the players and know who is playing well and not but if there's anyone with a solid appraisal of the team's chances this year to do some damage in the playoffs, I'd appreciate hearing from them.

You're in luck; I'm a born and raised MA kid (grew up 30 mins from the RI border) who moved out to Wisconsin for law school, and around here unless you're up in Green Bay the Brewers are really the main game in town. Plus, tickets are cheap :-)

In my opinion, I think that Philly's got to be the favorite to make it back to the World Series, but if the playoffs started today it would be Philly-Arizona and Milwaukee-Atlanta in the first round, unless the Cards make a last-minute push for the Wild Card, in which case it's Philly-St Louis and Milwaukee-Arizona. Either way, of all of the teams theoretically making a run for the playoffs, the ONLY teams that seem like the Brewers don't match up well against them are Philly, San Fran, and St. Louis. Atlanta's got slightly better pitchers, but the offense of the Brewers blows them out of the water. The Dbacks benefit from being in the weak NL West, and despite the Giants' win last year, unless their stable of pitchers leads them to the playoffs the DBacks are going out quickly and quietly.

So we're left with the Phillies in "if they ended today" scenario, and, quite honestly, while the prevailing theory is that two aces are all you really need -- ex: 2001 Diamondbacks -- I'm not so sure that we don't have a chance to pull off the upset like San Fran did last year. For one, Philly gets tight in close games on offense; their pitchers can throw tremendous games, but they have to put some runs on the board to win. Philly's relief core, is, in my opinion, worse than the Brewers; Madson's been good this season, but he also has a history of imploding. And while the Phillies may have the edge in an offensive player-to-player analysis at 2B, SS, and C (and maybe 1B, though I'd take Fielder over Howard), the Brewers are much better in the OF spots and at 3B. And don't underestimate the "Fielder may be leaving" motivator; a lot of people around here think it's going to kill the chemistry, but I believe it's going to p--- the team off and make them push harder to keep the guy here.

So, if the Brewers make it to the NLCS, and can stretch it to 6 or 7 games, be at least 2-2 by the end of Game 4, I think they could surprise people. If they start off slow, though, Philly will shut the door on them. And if the Brewers DO make it to the World Series . . . well, I don't know if they have the bats to match up with the Sox, Yankees, or Rays, but I could see them as a good matchup against the Tigers if they can get to Verlander or the Rangers if they can hold on against their offense.

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 01:37:12 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
I know Felger earlier in the year predicted them to make it to the WS and Felger is a Millwaukee guy.  Not sure what you take his word for though.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 06:57:49 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

You're in luck; I'm a born and raised MA kid (grew up 30 mins from the RI border) who moved out to Wisconsin for law school, and around here unless you're up in Green Bay the Brewers are really the main game in town. Plus, tickets are cheap :-)

In my opinion, I think that Philly's got to be the favorite to make it back to the World Series, but if the playoffs started today it would be Philly-Arizona and Milwaukee-Atlanta in the first round, unless the Cards make a last-minute push for the Wild Card, in which case it's Philly-St Louis and Milwaukee-Arizona. Either way, of all of the teams theoretically making a run for the playoffs, the ONLY teams that seem like the Brewers don't match up well against them are Philly, San Fran, and St. Louis. Atlanta's got slightly better pitchers, but the offense of the Brewers blows them out of the water. The Dbacks benefit from being in the weak NL West, and despite the Giants' win last year, unless their stable of pitchers leads them to the playoffs the DBacks are going out quickly and quietly.

So we're left with the Phillies in "if they ended today" scenario, and, quite honestly, while the prevailing theory is that two aces are all you really need -- ex: 2001 Diamondbacks -- I'm not so sure that we don't have a chance to pull off the upset like San Fran did last year. For one, Philly gets tight in close games on offense; their pitchers can throw tremendous games, but they have to put some runs on the board to win. Philly's relief core, is, in my opinion, worse than the Brewers; Madson's been good this season, but he also has a history of imploding. And while the Phillies may have the edge in an offensive player-to-player analysis at 2B, SS, and C (and maybe 1B, though I'd take Fielder over Howard), the Brewers are much better in the OF spots and at 3B. And don't underestimate the "Fielder may be leaving" motivator; a lot of people around here think it's going to kill the chemistry, but I believe it's going to p--- the team off and make them push harder to keep the guy here.

So, if the Brewers make it to the NLCS, and can stretch it to 6 or 7 games, be at least 2-2 by the end of Game 4, I think they could surprise people. If they start off slow, though, Philly will shut the door on them. And if the Brewers DO make it to the World Series . . . well, I don't know if they have the bats to match up with the Sox, Yankees, or Rays, but I could see them as a good matchup against the Tigers if they can get to Verlander or the Rangers if they can hold on against their offense.
great to hear I'm not the only Brewer fan here. 

Today was an excellent start.  I don't have a lot of concern for the other Arizona starters.  Greinke, Marcum and Wolf should match up very favorably in the next games.

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 12:20:04 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I am not a Brewers fan, but they are the team to watch in the NL right now IMO. They have the starting pitching and a very good lineup with little holes (for an NL team).

I'm looking ahead and saying they will face the Phillies next week and although they shouldn't be favored, I would not be all that surprised if come Oct. 19th, the World Series starts in Milwaukee.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 01:33:25 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
not a brewers "fan" but i hope they win it!

i'm a redsox fan only... but if i had to pick a second favorite team it would be the giants... not as a bandwagon jumper... i just love san francisco and hope to live there someday.

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 08:12:08 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
TP's for the supportive words GE and Matt.  Everyone's a winner in Brewerland   ;D

Game 1 was my main concern where I thought Arizona's pitching might steal one in Milwaukee but now that we took that game, I think we'll take this series in either a sweep or lose one game only.  I look at Arizona's line-up and it just doesn't give me any concerns.

Tough call between who I want to lose between Philly and St Louis.  Brewer fans (me included) still hate STL for the '82 series loss   >:(  but Philly will be really tough to get by with that pitching.   If we get by them, the only team the worries me in the series is TB since they seem to be a team of fate this year

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 08:43:30 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Brewers now up 2-0 on Arizona.  oh so sweet   8)

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 01:35:16 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Im a Prince Fielder fan.  Dont really know anybody else on the Brewers, but Im hoping they come out of the NL.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 02:33:29 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

I'm a hard-core Red Sox fan, but I've always been fond of the Brewers. Here's a picture of one of my favorites:

The really cool thing is he's also a Patriot! ;)

But seriously, Slam, there are two teams that I've always deferred to when the Sox were taking nose-dives at the end of the season, and Milwaukee is one of them. I think they've been consistently underrated and under-appreciated, and they have a heckuva team this year. I've always liked the town, too, and have a close cousin who lives there now. (Oh, the other team is Tampa, because I lived there for a while).

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 02:42:37 AM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 05:35:20 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I can't stand them for one reason and that reason is Bud Selig.  I think he still has some connections to the team, his daughter supposedly runs them these days but I don't care for Selig.   He was commish during the steroid era and he had to know.

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 07:26:21 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I can't stand them for one reason and that reason is Bud Selig.  I think he still has some connections to the team, his daughter supposedly runs them these days but I don't care for Selig.   He was commish during the steroid era and he had to know.
The Selig's time with the Brewers has been over for a while.  I too couldn't stomach his family's fumbling of the team.  Always afraid to spend a little to keep the club from being at the bottom for 2 decades.  He's been an absolutely incompetent commissioner as well.

The recent owner Anastasio (spelling?) has had no problem spending the money to improve the park and sign good players.  Milwaukee was recently listed as the smallest market in baseball but was able to draw over 3 million fans because there's a good team to support.

He can't compete financially with the Yankees or Sox but has shown he'll spend for good players.  I think we'll lose Fielder after this year unfortunately but I hope that with the Yanks and Sox all set at 1B, Fielder won't get an offer the blows away what Milwaukee can offer.

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 07:28:39 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I'm a hard-core Red Sox fan, but I've always been fond of the Brewers. Here's a picture of one of my favorites:

The really cool thing is he's also a Patriot! ;)
But seriously, Slam, there are two teams that I've always deferred to when the Sox were taking nose-dives at the end of the season, and Milwaukee is one of them. I think they've been consistently underrated and under-appreciated, and they have a heckuva team this year. I've always liked the town, too, and have a close cousin who lives there now. (Oh, the other team is Tampa, because I lived there for a while).
I never saw it before in that picture but I just noticed the 'brewer' on the label.  Probably why Sam Adams is my favorite beer   ;)