Author Topic: Pick A Player Total Yards Game  (Read 511402 times)

Pick A Player Total Yards Game
« on: September 02, 2011, 01:23:53 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

** Pick A Player Total Yards Game **

As Redz's PAPOUG and PAPTBG have been quite successful, (PAPTBG - 182K+ views, PAPOUG almost 390K views!), and more importantly fun, this seemed the obvious progression, especially with the prospect of a lost NBA season looming.

Though it won't be the almost-daily game that the other two are, but rather twice-weekly, I think it could still be a good weekend diversion to make Sundays and Monday nights a little more interesting.

For incentive purposes and because it's not a daily thing, I think increasing the TP awards would be in order, say three times the number of players for the day, and a single point per player for second place.

The basic conduct rules are the same as the other two games and CelticsBlog, and picks can be made after midnight on the same day of the game. The winner each week will be the person who picks the player who gains the most offensive yards in their respective game.

This can be done by QBs, Field-Goal Kickers, Running Backs, Receivers, Tight Ends, any player that gains positive yardage, even on a defensive play or special teams play, (though I doubt many defensive players will be picked).

This number will be total yards, which means receiving, passing, kicking, (field-goals, not kick-offs or punts), rushing yards, or any combination. If a player is being used on offense and special teams, for example, all the yards he acquires will be counted.

If a DB is picked and he gets an interception, then any yards he gains on return is counted. If a WR is used on a punt return, then his PR yards will be added to his total for the day. If a QB scrambles and has rushing yards of his own, they will be added to his passing total for the day.

If a Back is used as a Receiver, then both rushing and receiving yards will be counted. I think you get the idea ... any positive offensive yardage acquired by a player is counted, and this is a net number, so negative yards will be counted against them also.

I thought about making QBs ineligible on days with only one game being played, but then to do that we'd have to also make FG Kickers and RBs ineligible as well, (as they can also pile up similar yardage), and by then we're running out of good options.

So we'll keep it the same for all games at this point, unless you folks have a better idea for Monday nights and the odd Thursday/Saturday/Holiday game. Any suggestions for improvements or adjustments will be welcome, as this is in the early stages of development.

Also, a running total of yards and averages for each participant will be kept in order to determine standings for the year, should we happen to have Playoffs, and I see no reason why that wouldn't be possible at this point.

The first game is next Thursday, September 8, (Saints at Packers), and I will bump this thread with a reminder on Wednesday, and have it formatted a bit with some links to rosters for the game and the like.

Thanks!

Rules Update:

So here's the updated "deal", as it were:

The "Game Week" will run from Tuesday through Monday, and the new week/void list will begin each Tuesday, meaning you can choose one game/week, starting Tuesday thru Monday night, and new picks can not be made until 10AM Tuesday morning.

If you want to pick a QB/player for a Monday Night Football game, then you can't choose in a Sunday game, etc., (pretty understandable, I think). The calendar resets after midnight Monday night. Therefor the "official" first game will begin Thursday, September 5, (let me know if any problems).

Second place will get 1/2 the winning amount of TPs, (rounded up to the nearest whole number). There will also be TPs awarded for the efficiency ratings each week, with the same as second-place yards, (1/2 the amount, rounded up), going to the highest rating, and one TP for each player awarded to the second highest rating.

The Void List will still be "seven" days long, but each day is represented by an actual week, meaning if you pick a player for your first game and win with that player, you are not eligible to pick that same player again until week eight, (seven day-weeks after). This will also make it possible for others to get the hot players/QBs, and avoid any monopolies.

Time for football!

:)

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 05:25:40 PM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Re: Pick A Player Total Yards Game
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 09:46:34 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
for whatever reason this one never took off like the other too.  Maybe it is the once a week factor.  I think I came up with a bad format  ::) .

Hopefully it works this time around *thus format seems better) 

One suggestion would be to run the void list by "football weeks" not calendar weeks.

If it's ok to pick now, I'll get the ball rolling with Drew Brees.

Redz - Drew Brees, Saints:

« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 09:52:33 AM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 01:12:59 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
SEPTEMBER 8, 2011

Redz - Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints:
Bahku - Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers:

I like the calendar idea, Redz.  I was pondering college games as well, to have more days active ... not sure about that, though ... soooooooooo many teams/games to keep track of, (maybe a certain conference each week?).

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 12:48:11 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
SEPTEMBER 8, 2011

** Bump-ditty-bump-bump-bump. **

(Greystoke quote)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 01:19:03 AM by Bahku »

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 09:12:02 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
SEPTEMBER 8, 2011

** Need some more players, so come and sign up! TPs for those who jump on! (Gostowski would be a good pick, for one). **

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 08:14:10 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
SEPTEMBER 8, 2011

** Bump. TPs for those who join us - first game tonight! **

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 11:21:11 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
SEPTEMBER 8, 2011

** Bump. TPs for those who join us - first game tonight! **

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 02:38:56 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I know it is football, Bahku, but I am getting bruised from all those bumps! ha ha ha ha ha
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 03:07:14 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Is it just tonight's game or any game this week?

Why would anyone pick anything but a QB?

A great running day is a bad QB day.

And a WR will not likely have more yards then a QB. 

I think you need to factor that in if you want more play. 

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 04:53:49 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Yeah, as I said in the rules, I am considering DQ-ing QBs for Monday Night games or days when there is only one game, but on Sundays there are plenty of QBs to go around, especially with only two players so far. (Field-goal kickers also rack up the yards, and some QBs can have dismal games, and much fewer yards than a star RB or WR. But again, most games are on Sunday, when there is enough QBs for MANY players, if we have them). Thanks for posting.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 05:10:12 PM by Bahku »

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 07:40:36 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Yeah, as I said in the rules, I am considering DQ-ing QBs for Monday Night games or days when there is only one game, but on Sundays there are plenty of QBs to go around, especially with only two players so far. (Field-goal kickers also rack up the yards, and some QBs can have dismal games, and much fewer yards than a star RB or WR. But again, most games are on Sunday, when there is enough QBs for MANY players, if we have them). Thanks for posting.

How often has a running back had the most yards (when you include the numbers of passing yards QBs throw) in a single week of games?  Once or twice maybe?

2000 yards rushing is an amazing feat in a season.

2000 yards passing is awful.

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 09:33:06 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Maybe just pick one position and go with that.  Heck you could rotate them week to week if you wanted too - All QBs one week, all RB's another etc...Also, I'd lump the whole NFL week into 1 Pick A Player game for the week. That way we won't run into a problem like we had tonight, where there only 2 QBs to choose from.
Yup

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 03:34:00 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

How often has a running back had the most yards (when you include the numbers of passing yards QBs throw) in a single week of games?  Once or twice maybe?

2000 yards rushing is an amazing feat in a season.

2000 yards passing is awful.

I'm just trying to generate something fun to make the season a little more interesting for the membership here, and as this is still in the early stages of the season, we can certainly tweak it to satisfy those who would like to play, to make it as fair as possible, (which I alluded to in the rules page). As I said, I was contemplating making QBs void on Monday Nights, (and the other very few single game days), as I am already aware that QBs generally have the most yardage.

That would solve the problem you bring up, and Sundays there are plenty of QBs to go around for everyone. We could also have each week count as a single game-day, meaning that if someone picked a Monday Night QB, they could not pick again until the next Monday, and make the "day" week Monday thru Sundays, with a new void list/week starting each Monday. A good FG Kicker can rack up the yards in a game, too, as can multi-position players.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 04:05:24 AM by Bahku »

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 07:26:01 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Rules Update:

So here's the updated "deal", as it were:

I'm going to void (ignore) last night's game, (as there were tweaks needed to be made), and revise the rules - the "Game Week" will run from Sunday through Saturday, and the new week/void list will begin each Sunday, meaning you can choose one game/week, starting Sunday thru Saturday.

If you want to pick a QB/player for a Monday Night Football game, then you can't choose in a Sunday game, etc., (pretty understandable, I think). The calendar resets after midnight Satruday night. Therefor the "official" game will begin this Sunday, September 11, (let me know if any problems).

Since it's a once-a-week thing now, I'm thinking we can make the booty equal seven times the number of players, as that would equal the same payout of a PAPOUG or PAPTBG game, and hopefully entice more people to play. I think this will be a fair system and one that will give everybody plenty of players to choose from.

The Void List will still be "seven" days long, but each day is represented by an actual week, meaning if you pick a player for your first game and win with that player, you are not eligible to pick that same player again until week eight, (seven day-weeks after). This will also make it possible for others to get the hot players/QBs, and avoid any monopolies.

:)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 07:31:35 AM by Bahku »

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 07:30:39 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Week One / Game One
( Any game 9/11 - 9/17 )

Bahku - Tom Brady, New England Patriots: (Mon)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 07:40:18 AM by Bahku »

* BAHKU MUSIC *