Author Topic: Can the Clippers win a championship before the Lakers win their next one?  (Read 8913 times)

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
All depends if Donald Sterling dies (or is forced to sell the team after yet another display of his despicable behavior goes public) before the Lakers win another championship.

Isn't he in his 100s or something?  He's one of those guys who's probably too evil to die, anyway. 

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I just hope the clippers are good enough next year that they dont  end up with a top 10 pick. if we can get a pick in the 11-15range, we can end up with some real talent

amen to that.

Clippers have a decent shot. Kobe is on the decline and I think it's going to take a while for Mike Brown to adjust.
Can't see the Lakers being too much of a threat now that Kobe has begun his decline, unless they bring in another scoring guard to replace Fisher (who I've always felt is completely overrated garbage).
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
No and maybe yes.

Maybe they might win a championship before the Lakers win another one once a hard salary cap is in place.

No if, as what Michael Jordan said a few weeks back, teams like Miami and LAL remain to have the benefit of offering blank checks to superstars.

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
Not with Sterling in charge

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
A slight tangent, but I found it very interesting in Stern's interview with Simmons a couple weeks ago when he said that he does not have the power to force an owner to sell...but the other owners do! 

I wonder what this guy needs to do to get the other owners to turn on him enough to force him out?  I wonder if he takes too hard a line when it comes to stuff like cost sharing, if suddenly all of the horrible things he has done as a businessman will suddenly come back up, and give the other owners reason to oust him?  One can hope!

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Good management but they blew the Mike Brown hire.   I hope for once they make our mistake and get too old with Derrick and Kobe.    Still they will be able to sign someone with the LA draw and Hollywood.  I think they will get Howard and not us.

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
What are you talking about? The Blake Show is switching coasts and heading up to Beantown with Dwight! :P

Also I think the Clippers are going to have a good 2011-12 season, but not good enough to get in the playoffs in the West. There is a really good chance their pick goes to us.

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
i dont think so, they might make the playoffs a few time but i believe Blake Griffin will leave LA and head somewhere else

then back to rebuilding mode, theyre not winning anything until they change their GM

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
kobe right now wont beat griffin one on one

looking at clips roster again they would sweep lakers in the playoffs

Re: Can the Clippers win a championship before the Lakers win their next one?
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 08:05:25 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
I don't know what the protocol is for replying to old topics but...I love being (possibly) right.

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Using a new account now, but just gonna bump this real quick...for old times sakes...

What foresight by me, eh?

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
A slight tangent, but I found it very interesting in Stern's interview with Simmons a couple weeks ago when he said that he does not have the power to force an owner to sell...but the other owners do! 

I wonder what this guy needs to do to get the other owners to turn on him enough to force him out?  I wonder if he takes too hard a line when it comes to stuff like cost sharing, if suddenly all of the horrible things he has done as a businessman will suddenly come back up, and give the other owners reason to oust him?  One can hope!

Here's another pretty good call with Sterling's ousting last year lol

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Here's another pretty good call with Sterling's ousting last year lol

I normally don't like bumping threads from 4 years ago, but wow, kudos to Chris.  He nailed that one.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
It's amazing what 4 years can do. Complete role reversal of the teams. Let's not forget CP3 trade to the Lakers was virtually done. I hate the Lakers but everything about that seemed criminal.

I have not idea what the Lakers would be like had CP3 been there the last few years.

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
It's amazing what 4 years can do. Complete role reversal of the teams. Let's not forget CP3 trade to the Lakers was virtually done. I hate the Lakers but everything about that seemed criminal.

I have not idea what the Lakers would be like had CP3 been there the last few years.

No doubt. With CP3, Kobe, Gasol, they might've tied or even passed us.  :'( And I agree that the CP3 nondeal seemed criminal—but I ain't losing any sleep over it!  ;D

As for the original question in this thread: I think the Clippers could win a title before the Lakers get their next one, but I'm not convinced it'll happen. For all the talent the Clippers have, they seem to be lacking the "it" factor, that certain drive and mindset that all champions have. I see this most with Chris Paul, who to me is a star but not a superstar—to me, he's always seemed to lack that certain something that guys like Bird, Jordan, etc., had, that drive that helps a player carry a team to a title.

That, and the Lakers will probably somehow luck out again á la the Gasol trade, or the Kobe trade, or the Abdul-Jabbar trade, or ...  :-\
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis