Author Topic: Lebron James doesn't tip well  (Read 20225 times)

Re: Lebron James doesn't tip well
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2011, 08:53:32 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Also college football is the greatest sport on Earth and soccer is one of the worst.

Hockey is the worst.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2011, 09:02:33 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I worked as a Pizza delivery man for a few years during college and I definitely expected to get a reasonable tip when I brought someone their Pizza.  

I forget what the rate was, but the hourly wage was lower than when you were in house cooking the pizza. It wasn't as low as what many waiters and bartenders get paid, but you were responsible for the wear and tear on your car and the gas.  

Tip your delivery person!
Finally! I was waiting for an ex-delivery person to weigh in, don't see why they deserve less when they have to pay for more.

Under-tippers are among the biggest scum of the Earth, right behind people that block traffic/cut people off.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2011, 10:50:09 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Coming from a country where tipping is simply not customary, I like it when the 'gratuity' is included in the final bill. Even if it's a little more than what I would've expected, you don't run the risk of getting a Lebron type of reputation ;)

The simplistic thing to suggest of course would be why not pay the waiters, delivery drivers etc a more reasonable amount so that tipping is not so crucial for them.

Would be great if tips were just a bonus, rather than necessary to make a decent living.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2011, 11:02:23 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
My sister told me once (she was working at a country club having a big pro-athlete tournament) that the current players were terrible with the tips but the retired guys were really good. 

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2011, 11:06:35 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
some of the best money i ever made was delivering pizzas back in the day...

on top of my "minimum wage" i was making 100 bills a nite....ridin a dodge dart 75...kept a knot..

« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2011, 11:07:46 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

on top of my "minimum wage" i was making 100 bills a nite....ridin a dodge dart 75...kept a knot..

lol

my brother's first car was red '74 Dart
Yup

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2011, 11:11:03 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!

lol

my brother's first car was red '74 Dart

it rode forever

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2011, 11:13:20 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

ever get jumped while delivering?

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2011, 11:18:39 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!

ever get jumped while delivering?

never...po po stopped me alot when i first started..my hoopty stood out at 1:30am

« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2011, 07:21:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The amount I give is dependent on the service.   I am not proud to admit it but usually I am inclined to tip attractive person more.   I think we all are if we are honest.  Not a huge amount but it seems we are prone to like them more and it's human nature.  Some people act like it's their God given right to get a tip.   It's not really.  While it is expected by social mores, there is no penalty for not tipping therefore it's not a right.  All you will get is a loogee the next time you eat their if you tip poorly I would wager.

I tip 99.9% of the time.   But if service is really bad.  I 've stiffed them a few times.   It was really bad with lipstick on the glass that I was given on to drink from, no check backs and general no service so I pulled a Mr. Pink on that one.  A few times, especially if it's a kid working through college or the like, I have tipped the same amount as the meal.  I am big guy and if I frown people actually cower.   No one is going to complain if I don't tip but I have only done that maybe one time out of a thousand.  Usually the servers fight over me as I tip well enough that they try to be my server the next time.  I tip pizza delivery guys, bartenders and barbers too.  Bartenders definitely are best bang for your buck on a tip.   They serve you stronger drinks and will work you in when you need a drink if you tip early and tip as you are leaving.

While, I don't care for LeBron's vastly over rated game nor his penchant for choking when it matters,  I could care less if he tips or not.  It's none of my business, nor yours, to be honest.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 12:18:02 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2011, 10:49:32 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Coming from a country where tipping is simply not customary, I like it when the 'gratuity' is included in the final bill. Even if it's a little more than what I would've expected, you don't run the risk of getting a Lebron type of reputation ;)

The simplistic thing to suggest of course would be why not pay the waiters, delivery drivers etc a more reasonable amount so that tipping is not so crucial for them.

Would be great if tips were just a bonus, rather than necessary to make a decent living.
Because service is something that requires effort and talent, which can be developed. Remove incentive and you remove good results. This is why you get better service in American establishments on average.

« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2011, 11:00:04 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!

Because service is something that requires effort and talent, which can be developed. Remove incentive and you remove good results. This is why you get better service in American establishments on average.

long as my frys r hot and my drank is cold..it's all good

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2011, 11:09:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

What if you have to wait forever to get it?  See? 

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2011, 11:13:59 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!

be worse i wait a long time and they were cold.....

ill wait for quality

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2011, 11:20:33 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

be worse i wait a long time and they were cold.....

ill wait for quality

I'm just putting one and one together here and am thinking maybe your favorite restaurant is McD's. The fries are guaranteed hot because they have  a rule they throw them away after ten minutes or something. The drink is cold because they give you the cup. There's no tipping, and they're fast.

McD's has its place in the world. I definitely like their breakfasts and those shamrock shakes that I can't believe they only have once a year