Author Topic: Lebron James doesn't tip well  (Read 20170 times)

Lebron James doesn't tip well
« on: August 18, 2011, 05:50:26 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Reportedly, LeBron once left a $10 tip on a $800 bill.

Also on the list, Tiger Woods.  I'm a bit surprised, since it was liberal giving of his tip that got him into trouble.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: Lebron James doesn't tip well
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 07:01:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Doesn't surprise me but in LeBron defense, and I won't do it often, but could have been really crappy service.   A tip is given if satisfactory service is given.   I've low balled them too when they didn't refill my drinks in a non busy restaurant or seemed more interested in their cell phone than providing the customer's service.

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 10:57:20 AM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77
Here are some tipping guide lines:
If service is good, give 15%.
If service is great, give 20%.
If service is poor, give 10%.
If you are not willing to allow a server to have an off day, stick with take-out.

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 11:07:38 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
If you are not willing to allow a server to have an off day, stick with take-out.

Unfortunately, those numbers have become a bit outdated.

At this point, 18% has become pretty standard, with 15% being the bottom, and 20+% being reward for a job well done (or more accurately, a message to the waiter of "please like me")

I always find these stories funny though.  I don't think it means anything about them as a person, but it does show a lack of awareness of their celebrity (or a desire to just be seen as cheap).

As a celebrity, you need to know that this stuff always gets out, so, you really are required to overtip in order to avoid getting the cheap label. 

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 11:30:39 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
My sister says that last time John Lackey came into her bar, he gave her $100 for a single beer and said to keep it.  Buchholz gave her $40 for a single beer and said to keep it.

I can't imagine being any different if I were that rich.  Like, why on earth would I be carrying around $1, $5, and $10 bills with me?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 11:53:40 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Not to defend LBJ, but without the context, hard to read much into this.
For example, was the service absolutely terrible?
Or, did LBJ think he was leaving $100, not $10?
Or, did LBJ have a $10 drink on his own, send a $790 bottle of Dom to a nice looking couple who were celebrating their anniversary at a nearby table, and then leave a 100% tip for his $10 drink?

I agree all the above are unlikely, but again, context context context.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 12:31:32 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Not to defend LBJ, but without the context, hard to read much into this.
For example, was the service absolutely terrible?
Or, did LBJ think he was leaving $100, not $10?
Or, did LBJ have a $10 drink on his own, send a $790 bottle of Dom to a nice looking couple who were celebrating their anniversary at a nearby table, and then leave a 100% tip for his $10 drink?

I agree all the above are unlikely, but again, context context context.

Definitely context matters.  I read that list the other day, and it says certain people like Tiger and Madonna are notoriously bad tippers reported by multiple sources, so it's more likely that they are truly cheap.  But some of the other people have just one instance cited against them (like LeBron).

The thing is when you’re rich celebrity, people expect you to be super generous.  Even if LeBron had a $20 meal at Chili’s, people would probably think anything less than $100 tip would be cheap.

Many times, for large and/or expensive parties, gratuity is included in the bill.  So was gratuity already included, and the waiter just upset they didn’t get a nice additional bonus?  If I was a waiter, and LeBron came in, even if 18-20% was already added to the bill, I would still hope for a big tip on top of that.  Now I wouldn’t be mad if I didn’t get that extra bonus, but I know some people would feel very slighted.

Does LeBron actually pay the bills?  I imagine a lot of those guys roll with an entourage.   One guy in the crew might be the driver, another might be in charge of paying the bills, etc.  Did LeBron actual pay the bill, or did one of his crew pay the bill with LeBron’s money?

Also there’s a ton of terrible waiters/waitresses out there (I used to work as a waiter).  The terrible people still expect a huge tip.  Was the service really good, or was it not good, or perhaps did the wait staff act like crazed fans. LeBron can I get a picture, LeBron can I get an autograph, LeBron will you do a commercial for this restaurant, LeBron will you invest in my business, LeBron can you pass on my demo to Jay-Z, cooks and busboys coming out to get pictures/autographs, etc.  I can see people acting unprofessional like this and not realize how it much brings down the service.

One example isn’t enough to come to the conclusion that he’s cheap, although he may very well be.  If he has a reputation for this kind of thing (like Tiger and Madonna), then that’s different.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 12:34:52 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
If service is poor, give 10%.If you are not willing to allow a server to have an off day, stick with take-out.

I have to disagree with the 10% for poor service. Besides the food the reason I go out to eat is to have a pleasent experiance. When I get poor service it ruins the meal for me and I leave a poor tip to let the server know this. And no, I'm not willing to let them have an "off day". It's their job to make my meal a pleasent time. If they are having an off day, they should go home, or call in.

Sorry if I sould mean, but to be honest, i am quite the opposite. I always say please and thank you. I try to be nice to the server and am understanding when a problem arrises that is not their fault. If the service it good I alway leave at least a 20% tip, but i refuse to leave 10% to someone who's crappy mood as ruined my meal.

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 12:36:31 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Celebrities truly can't win I think.

If they tip 20%, people still think, "you have money, you should tip me more."  But if a rich celebrity calls a plumber, I don't think he pays double what was charged just to be a nice guy and because he has the money.  A lot of wait staff feels too entitled too a big tip in my opinion (and I used to be a waiter).

The thing is, guys like Antoine and Vin Baker I heard were super generous tippers.  Now they're broke and everyone calls them a fool for wasting their money.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 12:57:20 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I'm kinda shocked that people really tip so poorly.

I pretty much give 20% about %100 percent of the time. If the service wasn't great maybe i'll round down.

Maybe I just haven't had as poor experiences as others but if my water doesn't get filled up right away when it's empty I'm not thinking about deducting the tip. Maybe if they refuse to fill up my water but when I go out I'm not inspecting waiters/waitresses trying to figure out how little I can tip them.

For the most part if I've had bad experiences at restaurants it's been because of the food (not their fault) not the waiters.

I'm curious as to the age of the low tippers. I don't know anyone in my age range (20's) that tips anything but what I do. And if they do they will certainly get called out on it

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 01:12:03 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
If service is poor, give 10%.If you are not willing to allow a server to have an off day, stick with take-out.

I have to disagree with the 10% for poor service. Besides the food the reason I go out to eat is to have a pleasent experiance. When I get poor service it ruins the meal for me and I leave a poor tip to let the server know this. And no, I'm not willing to let them have an "off day". It's their job to make my meal a pleasent time. If they are having an off day, they should go home, or call in.

Sorry if I sould mean, but to be honest, i am quite the opposite. I always say please and thank you. I try to be nice to the server and am understanding when a problem arrises that is not their fault. If the service it good I alway leave at least a 20% tip, but i refuse to leave 10% to someone who's crappy mood as ruined my meal.
There's a difference between an off day (say they brought you the wrong drink) and a complete train-wreck of a waiter.  Typically I say cut them a break, and 15% is about right for them.  10% and under is way too low.  15% for good service is a little low too.

Usually only once in a blue moon do you get someone who is a disaster and makes you wait for no reason.  These select few are deserving of a penny.  99% of the time it's nearly impossible for a server to even come close to that bad.

Are we really to believe that LeBron just so happened to get caught dropping 800$ in a place with such service?  I mean come on, it comes out to a 1% tip.  That's just embarrassing.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:17:07 PM by mgent »
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 01:25:06 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Many times, for large and/or expensive parties, gratuity is included in the bill.  So was gratuity already included, and the waiter just upset they didn’t get a nice additional bonus?  If I was a waiter, and LeBron came in, even if 18-20% was already added to the bill, I would still hope for a big tip on top of that.  Now I wouldn’t be mad if I didn’t get that extra bonus, but I know some people would feel very slighted.

Great points, especially this one ^^
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 01:42:12 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Unfortunately, those numbers have become a bit outdated.

At this point, 18% has become pretty standard, with 15% being the bottom, and 20+% being reward for a job well done (or more accurately, a message to the waiter of "please like me")

I always find these stories funny though.  I don't think it means anything about them as a person, but it does show a lack of awareness of their celebrity (or a desire to just be seen as cheap).

As a celebrity, you need to know that this stuff always gets out, so, you really are required to overtip in order to avoid getting the cheap label. 

I'm curious.  What is the logic for these numbers changing? 

i asked a pizza guy what he  expected and thought was fair once and he said essentially a buck and change, but that was in maybe 1999, so maybe it's 2 and change now

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 01:44:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

If they tip 20%, people still think, "you have money, you should tip me more."  But if a rich celebrity calls a plumber, I don't think he pays double what was charged just to be a nice guy and because he has the money.  A lot of wait staff feels too entitled too a big tip in my opinion (and I used to be a waiter).

The thing is, guys like Antoine and Vin Baker I heard were super generous tippers.  Now they're broke and everyone calls them a fool for wasting their money.
I kinda disagree with this. The idea that a rich celeb can't be a good tipper cause they just can't win or everyone feels entitled or they'll go broke is just a bit of a stretch for me, your excellent plumber example not withstanding.

Now I knnooowwww that's not exxacccttlly what you said, but I still disagree with what I THINK is the GENERAL sentiment here.       :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 01:50:45 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Toine was also supporting every friend he had since childhood.

If LeBron gave a 20% or even a 18% tip I don't think people would be saying "you should give more."  But he gave 1%.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale