Author Topic: College Conference Alignment  (Read 42255 times)

Re: College Conference Alignment
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2012, 11:26:52 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
So should the ACC just change around their divisions now?  The Originators and New Arrivals?

What definition of "originators"?

As I'm aware, the following teams have all joined the ACC at some point or another after the formation of the league.

FSU
Miami
Virginia Tech
Miami
Clemson
BC
Pitt
Louisville

Just about all, except FSU and Clemson, of these schools was at some point in the Big East.

I was just trying to come up with names.  Now I seee why the big ten had such a hard time
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2012, 11:29:06 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
So should the ACC just change around their divisions now?  The Originators and New Arrivals?

Division 1.

Miami
BC
Pitt
Cuse
VT
Louisville

Division 2.
FSU
Clemson
VA
WF
UNC
NC St.

Duke & Georgia Tech are gonna be pretty peeved.

Haha i knew i was forgetting somebody.  Alright Division 1 gets Duke Division 2 gets GT

The ACC is still going to be a baketball league.  FSU and Miami are the only schools that have any real credibility in football.  As such, division alignment needs to be centered around basketball.

With that being said, Duke will be peeved if they have Louisville, Pitt & Syracuse in their division, while UNC gets the DRASTICALLY easier division.

#screwUNC!

ACC doesn't do divisions in basketball.  If you do conference tourney, you don't really need them.

You do the divisions in football to help establish a conference title game.

Going to 14 teams they might have/choose to though.  Doesn't the current Big East have divisions?

Not currently although I know they did for a period in the past.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2012, 11:30:01 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

What definition of "originators"?

As I'm aware, the following teams have all joined the ACC at some point or another after the formation of the league.

FSU
Miami
Virginia Tech
Miami
Clemson
BC
Pitt
Louisville

Just about all, except FSU and Clemson, of these schools was at some point in the Big East.

I was just trying to come up with names.  Now I seee why the big ten had such a hard time

Well, I actually double posted Miami, so I guess you could go with those 7, except FSU and Miami would be none too happy about being in the same division.

« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2012, 11:47:25 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The current ACC divisions are

Atlantic - FSU, NC St., Wake, Clemson, BC, Maryland
Coastal - Va Tech, Miami, UVA, Ga Tech, UNC, Duke

The ACC is losing Maryland and gaining Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and Louisville

I think it will try to keep the three new teams together and put them in the Atlantic with FSU, BC, Clemson and Wake or NC St. and just move the other one to the Coastal.  That seems to make the most sense to me, but I don't really know who the big rivals are and I imagine they will try their best to keep them together (since you will now have 6 games against your own division it makes it harder to keep a rival in the other division without going to 9 conf. games).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2012, 11:51:39 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

I think it will try to keep the three new teams together and put them in the Atlantic with FSU, BC, Clemson and Wake or NC St. and just move the other one to the Coastal.  That seems to make the most sense to me, but I don't really know who the big rivals are and I imagine they will try their best to keep them together (since you will now have 6 games against your own division it makes it harder to keep a rival in the other division without going to 9 conf. games).

Im pretty sure Cuse already went to the atlantic and pitt to the coastal so I think the inclination is to just swap louisville and MD
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2012, 11:52:51 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Syracuse was already going to the Atlantic with Pitt going to Coastal.  The natural thing to do would be to replace Maryland with Louisville in the Atlantic.

« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2012, 12:34:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Syracuse was already going to the Atlantic with Pitt going to Coastal.  The natural thing to do would be to replace Maryland with Louisville in the Atlantic.
ah that makes sense.

« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2012, 12:59:45 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
All I can say with any certainty, is the ACC will still likely be the weakest auto-qualifying BCS confernece (its about time the Big East gets downgraded-they stink).

The ACC, on the other hand, is REALLY going to be a powerhouse basketball conference now, though.

« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2012, 02:08:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
All I can say with any certainty, is the ACC will still likely be the weakest auto-qualifying BCS confernece (its about time the Big East gets downgraded-they stink).

The ACC, on the other hand, is REALLY going to be a powerhouse basketball conference now, though.
Big East has actually been much better than the ACC in BCS bowl games and highest ranked team at the close of the year.  Quite funny when you really think about it.

The Big Ten/ACC challenge is going to be even better in a couple of years.  I mean look at the rankings, 3 of the top 4 from the Big Ten, the rest of the top 6 will be new ACC.  1 more each in the top 14.  1 more ACC in the top 18 and 2 more Big Ten in the top 22.  Matchups will be awesome in 2014. 

« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2012, 02:14:11 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Big East has actually been much better than the ACC in BCS bowl games and highest ranked team at the close of the year.  Quite funny when you really think about it.

The Big Ten/ACC challenge is going to be even better in a couple of years.  I mean look at the rankings, 3 of the top 4 from the Big Ten, the rest of the top 6 will be new ACC.  1 more each in the top 14.  1 more ACC in the top 18 and 2 more Big Ten in the top 22.  Matchups will be awesome in 2014.

Maybe thats true, i don't know for sure, but right now FSU, VT, Miami and Clemson are all much stronger football programs than any in the Big East

« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2012, 02:21:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Maybe thats true, i don't know for sure, but right now FSU, VT, Miami and Clemson are all much stronger football programs than any in the Big East
Probably, but it hasn't led to big game success as the ACC still just has 2 BCS bowl game victories in the entire BCS bowl game history.  FSU when it beat Va Tech to win the national title 13 years ago and Va Tech when it beat Cincinnati a couple of years ago.  That's it.  Pretty sad really.

« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2012, 02:22:17 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Florida Atlantic and Middle Tennessee leaving the Sun Belt to join Conference USA (to replace ECU and Tulane).

« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2012, 02:27:32 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Probably, but it hasn't led to big game success as the ACC still just has 2 BCS bowl game victories in the entire BCS bowl game history.  FSU when it beat Va Tech to win the national title 13 years ago and Va Tech when it beat Cincinnati a couple of years ago.  That's it.  Pretty sad really.

Not really all that sad, still making more money and pumping out significantly more first round draft picks than the big east.  229 to 55 all time. 

Edit:  Also, most of our athletes go to class.  Which is one of the reasons I am not a fan of the louisville add.

« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2012, 02:33:38 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Also how many of those BCS wins came from schools currently in the big east?  Isnt that the fact worth of discussion?

« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2012, 03:05:40 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Also how many of those BCS wins came from schools currently in the big east?  Isnt that the fact worth of discussion?

If you draw the line at 2004 or 2005 when Miami, Virginia Tech & later BC all left for the ACC (where you really should); only West Virginia (multiple) & Louisville have won BCS bowls as the Big East champ.

West Virgnia- now in the Big 12

Louisville - soon to be ACC

Cincinnati & UConn got waxed in their BCS bowls as Big East champs.