Author Topic: College Conference Alignment  (Read 12878 times)

Online Fafnir

• Global Moderator
  • Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 947
Re: College Conference Alignment
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2012, 09:30:49 AM »
Realignment is all about football, so why would UConn make any sense for them?

It was between Louisville and Cincinnati.

Offline Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 559
  • Historical Draft Best Overall/Best Defensive team
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2012, 09:35:04 AM »

Supposedly there was very little support for either Uconn or Cinci.  The presidents were prepared to Vote on Louisville but had no intention of discussing Uconn or Cinci in the event that Louisville didnt garner the necessary 3/4 support
Indiana CB Draft, Kevin Durant, Deron Williams, Luis Scola, Robin Lopez, Ray Allen, Elton Brand, Rodney Stuckey, Marvin Williams, Jeff Taylor, Andrew Nicholson, Shaun Livingston, Markieff Morris, Michael Beasley

Online Fafnir

• Global Moderator
  • Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 947
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2012, 09:43:13 AM »

Supposedly there was very little support for either Uconn or Cinci.  The presidents were prepared to Vote on Louisville but had no intention of discussing Uconn or Cinci in the event that Louisville didnt garner the necessary 3/4 support
Cinncy was lobbying hard, but I think the statement that they wouldn't hold a vote for the other alternatives was just strong arming the fence sitters who preferred one of those two schools. (aka either give us the school the league commish/powers want or you get nothing)

Offline Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »

Cinncy was lobbying hard, but I think the statement that they wouldn't hold a vote for the other alternatives was just strong arming the fence sitters who preferred one of those two schools. (aka either give us the school the league commish/powers want or you get nothing)

True, but I imagine BC was one of the teams that wanted nothing to do with Cincy in the ACC.  Ohio is one of the few places that they recruit well for football.  Luke Kuechly came from a cincy suburb I believe. 

Not that BC's preference really goes a long way but im just saying haha.
Indiana CB Draft, Kevin Durant, Deron Williams, Luis Scola, Robin Lopez, Ray Allen, Elton Brand, Rodney Stuckey, Marvin Williams, Jeff Taylor, Andrew Nicholson, Shaun Livingston, Markieff Morris, Michael Beasley

Offline Moranis

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 399
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2012, 10:28:23 AM »

UConn is only two years removed from winning the Big East and playing in a BCS bowl game.  It isn't like it has always been a bottom dredger.  Now granted UConn is seemingly getting worse while Louisville is getting better so there is that.

The reality is the conference moves are about money and UConn just doesn't bring enough money to the table as it doesn't really add any markets to the ACC (with Cuse and St. John's the ACC already had NYC and BC already brings Boston).  The ACC with no teams in Kentucky, gets a bunch of new markets including the fairly large market of Louisville.  That is why Louisville was added and not Connecticut.  It is also why Cincinnati was considered since it would bring an even larger market (though it isn't like Cincinnati has a stranglehold on the market as it does not). 

Frankly this is why I'm surprised the Big 12 didn't just add Louisville and maybe Cincinnati when they added West Virginia last year.  Made a lot of sense for that conference to get back to 12 (and a title game) and wouldn't leave West Virginia out on an island. 
2014 Pick 2 Draft 18th pick of 20
Sacramento Kings
Starters - Isaiah Thomas, Eric Gordon, Jimmy Butler, Dirk Nowitzki, Demarcus Cousins
Bench - Kendall Marshall, Michael Carter-Williams, Vince Carter, Wesley Johnson, Marcus Morris, Miles Plumlee, Nerlens Noel

Offline Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2012, 10:47:52 AM »
So should the ACC just change around their divisions now?  The Originators and New Arrivals?

Division 1.

Miami
BC
Pitt
Cuse
VT
Louisville

Division 2.
FSU
Clemson
VA
WF
UNC
NC St.

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 612
  • What a Pub Should Be
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2012, 10:52:18 AM »
So should the ACC just change around their divisions now?  The Originators and New Arrivals?

Division 1.

Miami
BC
Pitt
Cuse
VT
Louisville

Division 2.
FSU
Clemson
VA
WF
UNC
NC St.

Duke & Georgia Tech are gonna be pretty peeved.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2012, 10:55:09 AM »

Division 1.

Miami
BC
Pitt
Cuse
VT
Louisville

Division 2.
FSU
Clemson
VA
WF
UNC
NC St.

Haha i knew i was forgetting somebody.  Alright Division 1 gets Duke Division 2 gets GT

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • What a Pub Should Be
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2012, 10:57:22 AM »
Well if I'm still living in Chicago in a couple of years and they're not playing in South Bend, Louisville is a easy trip to go see BC. Done the drive in the past for the Derby and certainly doable.  I think before that, the closest school was one of the VA schools or MD. 

Offline KGs Knee

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 582
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2012, 11:04:57 AM »

Division 1.

Miami
BC
Pitt
Cuse
VT
Louisville

Division 2.
FSU
Clemson
VA
WF
UNC
NC St.

Haha i knew i was forgetting somebody.  Alright Division 1 gets Duke Division 2 gets GT

The ACC is still going to be a baketball league.  FSU and Miami are the only schools that have any real credibility in football.  As such, division alignment needs to be centered around basketball.

With that being said, Duke will be peeved if they have Louisville, Pitt & Syracuse in their division, while UNC gets the DRASTICALLY easier division.

#screwUNC!
DKC Los Angeles Lakers
GM: Micheal Corleone
Head Coach: Mike Krzyzewski
Roster

Offline Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2012, 11:14:01 AM »
Banned for the 6th time from trolling the Uconn blog today.  Those guys need a sense of humor

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • What a Pub Should Be
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2012, 11:15:13 AM »

Division 1.

Miami
BC
Pitt
Cuse
VT
Louisville

Division 2.
FSU
Clemson
VA
WF
UNC
NC St.

The ACC is still going to be a baketball league.  FSU and Miami are the only schools that have any real credibility in football.  As such, division alignment needs to be centered around basketball.

With that being said, Duke will be peeved if they have Louisville, Pitt & Syracuse in their division, while UNC gets the DRASTICALLY easier division.

#screwUNC!

ACC doesn't do divisions in basketball.  If you do conference tourney, you don't really need them.

You do the divisions in football to help establish a conference title game.

Offline KGs Knee

• Paul Silas
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2012, 11:18:14 AM »
Thinking about it for a minute, I believe the divisions could be structured to allow FSU and Miami to still be in separate divisons (because lets face it, those two schools still generate a TOn of money), while allowing a more fair basketball alignment.

Something along the lines of:

ACC North:
BC
Syracuse
Pitt
Louisville
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Miami (yes I realize they are the southern most school)

ACC South:
Duke
UNC
NC State
Wake Forest
Clemson
Georgia Tech
FSU
DKC Los Angeles Lakers
Roster

Offline KGs Knee

• Paul Silas
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2012, 11:20:16 AM »

Division 1.

Miami
BC
Pitt
Cuse
VT
Louisville

Division 2.
FSU
Clemson
VA
WF
UNC
NC St.

#screwUNC!

ACC doesn't do divisions in basketball.  If you do conference tourney, you don't really need them.

You do the divisions in football to help establish a conference title game.

Going to 14 teams they might have/choose to though.  Doesn't the current Big East have divisions?
DKC Los Angeles Lakers
Roster

Offline KGs Knee

• Paul Silas
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2012, 11:25:31 AM »
deleted
DKC Los Angeles Lakers