Author Topic: College Conference Alignment  (Read 42253 times)

Re: College Conference Alignment
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2012, 09:30:49 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Realignment is all about football, so why would UConn make any sense for them?

It was between Louisville and Cincinnati.

« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2012, 09:35:04 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Supposedly there was very little support for either Uconn or Cinci.  The presidents were prepared to Vote on Louisville but had no intention of discussing Uconn or Cinci in the event that Louisville didnt garner the necessary 3/4 support
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2012, 09:43:13 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Supposedly there was very little support for either Uconn or Cinci.  The presidents were prepared to Vote on Louisville but had no intention of discussing Uconn or Cinci in the event that Louisville didnt garner the necessary 3/4 support
Cinncy was lobbying hard, but I think the statement that they wouldn't hold a vote for the other alternatives was just strong arming the fence sitters who preferred one of those two schools. (aka either give us the school the league commish/powers want or you get nothing)

« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Cinncy was lobbying hard, but I think the statement that they wouldn't hold a vote for the other alternatives was just strong arming the fence sitters who preferred one of those two schools. (aka either give us the school the league commish/powers want or you get nothing)

True, but I imagine BC was one of the teams that wanted nothing to do with Cincy in the ACC.  Ohio is one of the few places that they recruit well for football.  Luke Kuechly came from a cincy suburb I believe. 

Not that BC's preference really goes a long way but im just saying haha.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2012, 10:28:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

UConn is only two years removed from winning the Big East and playing in a BCS bowl game.  It isn't like it has always been a bottom dredger.  Now granted UConn is seemingly getting worse while Louisville is getting better so there is that.

The reality is the conference moves are about money and UConn just doesn't bring enough money to the table as it doesn't really add any markets to the ACC (with Cuse and St. John's the ACC already had NYC and BC already brings Boston).  The ACC with no teams in Kentucky, gets a bunch of new markets including the fairly large market of Louisville.  That is why Louisville was added and not Connecticut.  It is also why Cincinnati was considered since it would bring an even larger market (though it isn't like Cincinnati has a stranglehold on the market as it does not). 

Frankly this is why I'm surprised the Big 12 didn't just add Louisville and maybe Cincinnati when they added West Virginia last year.  Made a lot of sense for that conference to get back to 12 (and a title game) and wouldn't leave West Virginia out on an island. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2012, 10:47:52 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
So should the ACC just change around their divisions now?  The Originators and New Arrivals?

Division 1.

Miami
BC
Pitt
Cuse
VT
Louisville

Division 2.
FSU
Clemson
VA
WF
UNC
NC St.

« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2012, 10:52:18 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
So should the ACC just change around their divisions now?  The Originators and New Arrivals?

Division 1.

Miami
BC
Pitt
Cuse
VT
Louisville

Division 2.
FSU
Clemson
VA
WF
UNC
NC St.

Duke & Georgia Tech are gonna be pretty peeved.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2012, 10:55:09 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Division 1.

Miami
BC
Pitt
Cuse
VT
Louisville

Division 2.
FSU
Clemson
VA
WF
UNC
NC St.

Haha i knew i was forgetting somebody.  Alright Division 1 gets Duke Division 2 gets GT

« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2012, 10:57:22 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Well if I'm still living in Chicago in a couple of years and they're not playing in South Bend, Louisville is a easy trip to go see BC. Done the drive in the past for the Derby and certainly doable.  I think before that, the closest school was one of the VA schools or MD. 

« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2012, 11:04:57 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Division 1.

Miami
BC
Pitt
Cuse
VT
Louisville

Division 2.
FSU
Clemson
VA
WF
UNC
NC St.

Haha i knew i was forgetting somebody.  Alright Division 1 gets Duke Division 2 gets GT

The ACC is still going to be a baketball league.  FSU and Miami are the only schools that have any real credibility in football.  As such, division alignment needs to be centered around basketball.

With that being said, Duke will be peeved if they have Louisville, Pitt & Syracuse in their division, while UNC gets the DRASTICALLY easier division.

#screwUNC!

« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2012, 11:14:01 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Banned for the 6th time from trolling the Uconn blog today.  Those guys need a sense of humor

« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2012, 11:15:13 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Division 1.

Miami
BC
Pitt
Cuse
VT
Louisville

Division 2.
FSU
Clemson
VA
WF
UNC
NC St.

The ACC is still going to be a baketball league.  FSU and Miami are the only schools that have any real credibility in football.  As such, division alignment needs to be centered around basketball.

With that being said, Duke will be peeved if they have Louisville, Pitt & Syracuse in their division, while UNC gets the DRASTICALLY easier division.

#screwUNC!

ACC doesn't do divisions in basketball.  If you do conference tourney, you don't really need them.

You do the divisions in football to help establish a conference title game.

« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2012, 11:18:14 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Thinking about it for a minute, I believe the divisions could be structured to allow FSU and Miami to still be in separate divisons (because lets face it, those two schools still generate a TOn of money), while allowing a more fair basketball alignment.

Something along the lines of:

ACC North:
BC
Syracuse
Pitt
Louisville
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Miami (yes I realize they are the southern most school)

ACC South:
Duke
UNC
NC State
Wake Forest
Clemson
Georgia Tech
FSU

« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2012, 11:20:16 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Division 1.

Miami
BC
Pitt
Cuse
VT
Louisville

Division 2.
FSU
Clemson
VA
WF
UNC
NC St.

#screwUNC!

ACC doesn't do divisions in basketball.  If you do conference tourney, you don't really need them.

You do the divisions in football to help establish a conference title game.

Going to 14 teams they might have/choose to though.  Doesn't the current Big East have divisions?

« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2012, 11:25:31 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
deleted