Author Topic: College Conference Alignment  (Read 42264 times)

Re: Texas A&M and SEC flirting again
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 11:32:35 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Finding it kind've funny that the lowly Baylor Bears (of all teams) is holding up Texas A&M to the SEC right now.

I assume that everything will be worked out in the end and A&M will end up in the SEC but the idea that Baylor of all the Big 12 teams is threatening to take a stand is certainly surprising.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/09/07/texasam.sec/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a3&eref=sihp

I see their thinking.  Right now, they get a pretty nice chunk of BCS money.  However, the Big 12 appears to be on the brink of evaporating.  

Here are the other Big 12 schools:

Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
Texas Tech
Texas A&M
Missouri
Kansas
Kansas St.
Iowa St.

Each of those teams is likely to have a fairly easy time hooking on to another conference, if the Big 12 evaporates.  There's already been talk of Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Texas State joining the Pac-16.  Missouri has been rumored to go to the ACC and Big 10, and it would be easy to see Kansas, Kansas St., and Iowa St. all go to the Big 10, as well.

Baylor could be the odd man out, though.  They just don't bring a lot, other than an easy win on the calendar (unless you're TCU, apparently).

EDIT:  Beaten to the punch by Fafnir and Moranis.

====================================================================

Baylor is on the outside looking in if the Big 12 collapses, same as Kansas State, Iowa State, and perhaps even Kansas. 

I think somebody would grab Kansas, if just for basketball reasons.  I could see them bringing KSU along with them.  Iowa St. is harder to justify, but I could see them going to the Big 10 to form a natural rivalry with Iowa.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 11:34:42 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Finding it kind've funny that the lowly Baylor Bears (of all teams) is holding up Texas A&M to the SEC right now.

I assume that everything will be worked out in the end and A&M will end up in the SEC but the idea that Baylor of all the Big 12 teams is threatening to take a stand is certainly surprising.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/09/07/texasam.sec/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a3&eref=sihp

Not really, Baylor is only in the Big 12 because of heavy political pressure that was placed upon Texas and the Big 8 to include them. (Lots of politicians in power at the time had Baylor ties)

They are the Texas school that likely would be relegated to a non-BCS conference if things fall apart. Thus they have the largest financial interest in perserving the Big 12 given the paucity of their other options.

I understand their thinking and the politics of it.

I just find it commendable and a bit ironic that a school that is often considered an afterthought when it comes to Big 12 football is the one stepping to the forefront to save the conference.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2011, 11:57:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Baylor is on the outside looking in if the Big 12 collapses, same as Kansas State, Iowa State, and perhaps even Kansas. 

I think somebody would grab Kansas, if just for basketball reasons.  I could see them bringing KSU along with them.  Iowa St. is harder to justify, but I could see them going to the Big 10 to form a natural rivalry with Iowa.
The Big Ten might take Kansas (though even that is unlikely) it will never add Kansas State or Iowa State.  Those schools provide nothing to the Big Ten.

The Big Ten's wish list in order is

1. Notre Dame
2. Texas
3. North Carolina
4. Maryland

After that it would be Missouri (who probably ends up with A&M in the SEC), Connecticut, and Rutgers in some order with Syracuse the team after that.  Kansas may come in around the same pecking order as Syracuse. 

The Big Ten cares far more about academics then the other big time conferences and any school it adds would have to add television markets and/or viewers in addition to a strong academic history.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2011, 12:03:43 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think Kansas goes Pac-12 not Big Ten.

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2011, 12:06:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think the Pac-12 will expand to 16 with Texas, OU, OKSU, and Texas Tech.  Would they go more than 16 schools?

There are some rumors that the Big East could expand to bring in Kansas, KSU, ISU, etc. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2011, 01:25:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I think the Pac-12 will expand to 16 with Texas, OU, OKSU, and Texas Tech.  Would they go more than 16 schools?

There are some rumors that the Big East could expand to bring in Kansas, KSU, ISU, etc. 
Here is what I think happens.

Pac 12 adds Texas, OU, OSU, and Texas Tech
SEC adds Texas A&M, Missouri, Virginia Tech, Florida State
Big 10 adds Notre Dame, Maryland, Connecticut, Rutgers

ACC is the remaining 9 + South Florida, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Louisville, Cincinnati, Kansas

A new 16 team conference is formed from the remnants of the Big 12 + TCU and teams from the Mountain West and CUSA.

Houston, Texas Christian, Baylor, Southern Methodist, Memphis, Central Florida, Iowa State, Kansas State, Tulsa, East Carolina, Southern Mississippi, Brigham Young, Boise State, Fresno State, Air Force, Nevada-Las Vegas

The MAC stays as it is perhaps adding a school to get to 14.  The remaining Mountain West, WAC, CUSA, and Sun Belt schools combine to form 2 or possibly 3 conferences.

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2011, 01:44:40 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

I don't think so.

I've already read that there is already reluctance from some of these conferences to even go to 16 and the reason they ultimately will would be to cover themselves.

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2011, 12:31:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
apparently all but Oklahoma and Texas have refused to give consent and waive their rights to sue should A&M leave.  The other 7 will waive their rights, but only if Oklahoma stays in the conference.

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2011, 04:20:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1263940

It appears Oklahoma may be applying for Pac 12 membership very shortly.  Oklahoma State would follow suit if OU does apply.

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2011, 10:31:32 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
I would take this in heartbeat but find it extremely, extremely farfetched. I'd say the odds of them going independent might be greater than this.

With many believing the Big 12 to be on life support, might Texas be looking to the Atlantic as well as the Pacific? Texas versus Duke basketball. Texas against Miami baseball. Texas-North Carolina in debate and poetry reading? OK, not so much. But otherwise, this thing could work. Texas in the Atlantic Coast Conference, that is. This isn't to say or even suggest that the Longhorns are ACC-bound or even have their socks, boxers, toothbrushes and Longhorn Network packed in a suitcase. They're just ACC-intrigued, and we're assuming the ACC is just as interested in them as well. Why wouldn't it be? That league could use Texas as much as vice versa. Probably more.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 10:37:08 AM by Donoghus »

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2011, 11:04:30 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I would take this in heartbeat but find it extremely, extremely farfetched. I'd say the odds of them going independent might be greater than this.

With many believing the Big 12 to be on life support, might Texas be looking to the Atlantic as well as the Pacific? Texas versus Duke basketball. Texas against Miami baseball. Texas-North Carolina in debate and poetry reading? OK, not so much. But otherwise, this thing could work. Texas in the Atlantic Coast Conference, that is. This isn't to say or even suggest that the Longhorns are ACC-bound or even have their socks, boxers, toothbrushes and Longhorn Network packed in a suitcase. They're just ACC-intrigued, and we're assuming the ACC is just as interested in them as well. Why wouldn't it be? That league could use Texas as much as vice versa. Probably more.
Well the ACC is the only conference that will let them keep the Longhorn Network and thus is the only viable option.  Both the Pac 12 and Big 10 have said they can't keep it, and Texas does not want to be in the SEC (for academic reasons mostly), so the ACC or independence is it unless it gives up the Longhorn Network.

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2011, 11:11:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Report from an Alabama newspaper says Missouri will join Texas A&M in the SEC West and Auburn will move to the SEC East (Auburn and Alabama would be the linked game and still play every year).

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2011, 10:58:03 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Oooh ohhh oohhh

East Carolina has applied to the Big  East and Central Florida is a target along with some service academies.  That could make basketball interesting

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7001803/east-carolina-applies-big-east-conference-membership

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2011, 02:22:44 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/id/7001193/football-kills-big-east-basketball-tradition

Michael Wilbon, one of my favorite sports personalities out there, could not have summed up how I feel about this conference realignment thing any better than he did in this.

College sports IMO have become too big and just about money and there is nothing that can stop it unfortunately.

The NCAA has no control and everything basically needs to be rebuilt from scratch. 
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2011, 02:33:58 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/id/7001193/football-kills-big-east-basketball-tradition

Michael Wilbon, one of my favorite sports personalities out there, could not have summed up how I feel about this conference realignment thing any better than he did in this.

College sports IMO have become too big and just about money and there is nothing that can stop it unfortunately.

The NCAA has no control and everything basically needs to be rebuilt from scratch. 

There was a really good piece on the most recent "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel" that dealt with the bowls and their charity designation and how much of a joke that has become.

College sports, particularly football, is a very ugly and messed up industry.  Especially when you consider that its supposed to be "amateur" athletics.