Author Topic: College Conference Alignment  (Read 42260 times)

Re: Texas A&M and SEC flirting again
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 10:03:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
It will happen and it will happen shortly, it just has to happen in a manner that won't get the SEC sued by the Big 12.

The SEC absolutely wants Texas A&M and Texas A&M absolutely wants the SEC.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 11:01:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
It will happen and it will happen shortly, it just has to happen in a manner that won't get the SEC sued by the Big 12.

I think they are not yet in agreement to who the 14th team would be, they want to keep the league an even number to make scheduling easier. Plus they want to let the Texas politicians to have their say before they make anything officially aggressive.

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 11:40:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I think they are not yet in agreement to who the 14th team would be, they want to keep the league an even number to make scheduling easier. Plus they want to let the Texas politicians to have their say before they make anything officially aggressive.
Apparently they are willing to have 13 for at least a year.  The vote and statement yesterday was just so they wouldn't get sued by the Big 12.

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 01:55:58 AM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6861385/sec-extend-invitation-texas-leaves-options-open

Wow. Won't happen. Interesting. I think it's significantly possible that some high ranking SEC teams like Florida were like "No way do we want to play against the best recruits in Texas year after year" and I wouldn't be surprised if some middle of the road SEC schools like Tennessee and maybe Georgia and South Carolina were like "Yeah. We'd actually like a chance to win this league every once in a while" and low ranking teams like Miss St must have been thinking "And we want to have bowl years at least from time to time"

If I'm a league out there right now I'd consider getting aggressive and just poach an easily poachable team asap.

If you're the Big 12 go for Houston asap.  If you're the Big East throw the kitchen sink at Notre Dame and have some backup plan for trying to grab Georgia Tech or Houston or Southern Miss or something

Hmm, I'm confused. You ask in your last post if a middle of the road SEC team makes more money than a Top Big 12 team, as if to imply A&M would be just another team in the SEC. Then in this post, you make it act like the SEC is running up the walls in horror. Are you implying that you think the A&M could compete with the top SEC teams, after all?

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 02:07:06 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6861385/sec-extend-invitation-texas-leaves-options-open

Wow. Won't happen. Interesting. I think it's significantly possible that some high ranking SEC teams like Florida were like "No way do we want to play against the best recruits in Texas year after year" and I wouldn't be surprised if some middle of the road SEC schools like Tennessee and maybe Georgia and South Carolina were like "Yeah. We'd actually like a chance to win this league every once in a while" and low ranking teams like Miss St must have been thinking "And we want to have bowl years at least from time to time"

If I'm a league out there right now I'd consider getting aggressive and just poach an easily poachable team asap.

If you're the Big 12 go for Houston asap.  If you're the Big East throw the kitchen sink at Notre Dame and have some backup plan for trying to grab Georgia Tech or Houston or Southern Miss or something

Hmm, I'm confused. You ask in your last post if a middle of the road SEC team makes more money than a Top Big 12 team, as if to imply A&M would be just another team in the SEC. Then in this post, you make it act like the SEC is running up the walls in horror. Are you implying that you think the A&M could compete with the top SEC teams, after all?
Well I'm a pessimist so you have to look at the whole thing through the eyes of a pessimist from each angle.

If I'm an SEC team I might be thinking "Oh no! A&M might get lots of great Texas recruits making it way harder for me to win".

If I'm A&M I might be thinking "We're just another team as it is right now in the Big 12 where there are only 2 or so other good teams a year. In the SEC we could get crushed"

In reality I think A&M might do well for itself in the SEC, but not be a top 2 team.  Maybe not even top 3. Plus if they bring in another team it will be that much harder again.

I'm not sure about the money thing. The thing for A&M is they're probably tired of being Texas' little brother.

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 12:15:25 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Well I'm a pessimist so you have to look at the whole thing through the eyes of a pessimist from each angle.

If I'm an SEC team I might be thinking "Oh no! A&M might get lots of great Texas recruits making it way harder for me to win".

If I'm A&M I might be thinking "We're just another team as it is right now in the Big 12 where there are only 2 or so other good teams a year. In the SEC we could get crushed"

In reality I think A&M might do well for itself in the SEC, but not be a top 2 team.  Maybe not even top 3. Plus if they bring in another team it will be that much harder again.

I'm not sure about the money thing. The thing for A&M is they're probably tired of being Texas' little brother.
since when is Texas A&M a top team in the Big 12?  Texas A&M will finish near the bottom of the SEC most years, but it still probably makes more money then it would if it stayed put.  Heck Northwestern football makes more money from its tv deal then Notre Dame.  There really are only three conferences that matter where money is concerned: the Big Ten, the SEC, and the Pac 12. 

The SEC wants the Texas television markets so it can re-negotiate its TV contracts, which will bring all the other schools more money, if Texas A&M was in Louisiana, the SEC wouldn't give two craps about it.  Location is everything in this and A&M has the correct location.

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 08:35:21 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

since when is Texas A&M a top team in the Big 12?  Texas A&M will finish near the bottom of the SEC most years, but it still probably makes more money then it would if it stayed put.  Heck Northwestern football makes more money from its tv deal then Notre Dame.  There really are only three conferences that matter where money is concerned: the Big Ten, the SEC, and the Pac 12. 

The SEC wants the Texas television markets so it can re-negotiate its TV contracts, which will bring all the other schools more money, if Texas A&M was in Louisiana, the SEC wouldn't give two craps about it.  Location is everything in this and A&M has the correct location.
Are you 100% sure Northwestern makes more money from tv than Notre Dame? If that were the case I'd think Notre Dame would be in a league.

I don't think I ever said A&M was a top Big 12 team.  They definitely line up behind Texas and Oklahoma at the very least. But I definitely think they're a better team in the Big 12 than SEC

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 09:54:50 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Are you 100% sure Northwestern makes more money from tv than Notre Dame? If that were the case I'd think Notre Dame would be in a league.

I don't think I ever said A&M was a top Big 12 team.  They definitely line up behind Texas and Oklahoma at the very least. But I definitely think they're a better team in the Big 12 than SEC
Yes.  All Big Ten schools make over 20 million a year from the Big Ten Network and ESPN (and the other deals).  ND's deal with NBC is like 9 million a year.  It gets at best a couple of million from the Big East's basketball contracts.  Sure ND gets a full share of its bowl games, but that share is far less then Northwestern's bowl share in every year that ND doesn't make a BCS bowl (which has been awhile).

ND just wants the freedom to remain independent.  That may change when the Big East gets raided and is no longer a good landing spot for ND's other sports, but for now ND is content making less money but remaining independent.

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 01:50:26 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
This is just me and my pipe dream and there are many reasons it wouldn't work, but I'd kinda love to see an All-Texas league.  The Big Tex

Texas
Tex AM
TCU
Tex Tech
Baylor
UTEP
SMU
North Texas
Houston
Rice

That's a stronger football conference than the Big East

If they want to get cute they could add Oklahoma, OK State and Tulsa and call it the Big Texlahoma.

Tell me that wouldn't be awesome in a certain way

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 12:42:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
A&M informed the Big 12 it is leaving the conference on June 30, 2012.  It will be applying to another conference soon.  Of course everyone in the world knows what conference that is.

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2011, 12:49:28 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
A&M informed the Big 12 it is leaving the conference on June 30, 2012.  It will be applying to another conference soon.  Of course everyone in the world knows what conference that is.

Can't wait to see what the buyout negotiated with the Big 12 ends up being.  I read the Big 12 would be looking for a king's ransom if A&M decided to leave.

Question becomes who's next?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, 12:58:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Can't wait to see what the buyout negotiated with the Big 12 ends up being.  I read the Big 12 would be looking for a king's ransom if A&M decided to leave.

Question becomes who's next?
I think a lot of that will depend a great deal on what the SEC does.  If it looks to Missouri then that might collapse the Big 12, if it looks to an ACC team, then I don't think much else happens.  The Big 12 will replace A&M with another Texas school (Houston or SMU) and the ACC will replace whomever it loses with a CUSA or outside shot a Big East school (who would then add one more from a smaller conference).  If the SEC goes big and goes to 16, then I think that probably triggers the Big Ten and the Pac 12 to action.

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 10:53:18 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Finding it kind've funny that the lowly Baylor Bears (of all teams) is holding up Texas A&M to the SEC right now.

I assume that everything will be worked out in the end and A&M will end up in the SEC but the idea that Baylor of all the Big 12 teams is threatening to take a stand is certainly surprising.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/09/07/texasam.sec/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a3&eref=sihp

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 11:28:23 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Finding it kind've funny that the lowly Baylor Bears (of all teams) is holding up Texas A&M to the SEC right now.

I assume that everything will be worked out in the end and A&M will end up in the SEC but the idea that Baylor of all the Big 12 teams is threatening to take a stand is certainly surprising.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/09/07/texasam.sec/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a3&eref=sihp

Not really, Baylor is only in the Big 12 because of heavy political pressure that was placed upon Texas and the Big 8 to include them. (Lots of politicians in power at the time had Baylor ties)

They are the Texas school that likely would be relegated to a non-BCS conference if things fall apart. Thus they have the largest financial interest in perserving the Big 12 given the paucity of their other options.

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 11:29:34 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Not really, Baylor is only in the Big 12 because of heavy political pressure that was placed upon Texas and the Big 8 to include them. (Lots of politicians in power at the time had Baylor ties)

They are the Texas school that likely would be relegated to a non-BCS conference if things fall apart.
I was just going to respond that way.  Baylor is on the outside looking in if the Big 12 collapses, same as Kansas State, Iowa State, and perhaps even Kansas.