Author Topic: Nerlens Noel from Massachusetts..ESPN U defensive POY..the next KG?  (Read 18926 times)

Re: Nerlens Noel from Massachusetts..ESPN U defensive POY..the next KG?
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2012, 08:13:23 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
My favorite part was when he dunked on the 5'7 Chinese kid then stared him down.

I HATE the NBA!!

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Watching this makes me so thankful that the NBA doesn't yet draft kids in high school or younger because kids like this would be picked and so would that 6th grader kid I read about in yahoo or something and the NBA would just be horrid and probably devolve into Europe...ew

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2012, 08:48:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
An update on the player I would love the Celtics to nab in the future and build their next dynasty around:

http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/boys-basketball/post/_/id/1588/nerlens-noel-swats-his-way-to-dominance

Nerlens Noel is a nice guy so he’s willing to give you the first one. It’s only when you’ve become a repeat offender that he can’t help but to feel some kind of way about it.

When opposing big men or driving guards have the gall to attempt a shot in Noel’s lane, it offends him deeply. Therefore he’s forced to send an early message.

I try and swat their shots even further into the stands or down the court,” said Noel, a junior center at Tilton (Tilton, N.H.) who is ranked No. 2 in the ESPNU 60. “To be honest, it makes me feel a little disrespected.”

Makes sense for a player who, after the win, only cares about his block total for the game. This season Noel is averaging 7.5 blocks to go along with 12 points and 10 rebounds.

He blocked six shots, scored nine points, dished out six assists and snagged 17 rebounds in Tilton’s 80-50 win over Friends Central (Philadelphia) Monday night in the Signature Series semifinals of the City of Palms Classic.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011-1223/2011-city-of-palms-report-top-player-performances/

2. Nerlens Noel (Tilton School) – Noel averaged 8.5 points, 19 rebounds, and 5 blocks over 2 games this week. Those numbers could have been even better as both contests were blowout wins and saw the bench being emptied towards the end.

Interesting story, but I hope he gets some good coaching.  Give him two years at Duke or something, to teach him that there's more to the game than block totals and how far you can send the balls into the court.  Also, if we ever do happen to draft him, sit him down with Bill Russell to talk about how senseless it is to send shots into the stands.
TP...First thing I thought when I read it too. On the positive side, it appears he is developing offensively and is starting to just dominate on the boards even against the biggest big men the country has to offer.

As much as the video that is attached to this thread shows him doing stuff against what appears to be inferior sized players, he is playing a schedule against high school kids that are amongst the best in the country and against future NBA players.

Seems there's many doubters here regarding Nerlens but after his visit to Georgetown, people there were saying he was by far the best big man prospect they have seen in those parts since Alonzo Mourning.

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2012, 09:01:19 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
he has gotta bulk up to be a threat in college

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2012, 04:25:55 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Nerlens and Wayne Seldon are both playing on ESPN right now.  Pretty sick that a match of NH prep schools is on ESPN
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2012, 10:32:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Little update on the shot blocking, defensive sensation from Everett, MA:

He has reclassified to be a senior and will be attending college this year. He is also, after a great year at The Tilton School, now considered the top high school recruit in the country by ESPN and Scout.com and almost a lock as a top pick in the 2013 NBA Draft.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:42:22 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2012, 11:32:59 PM »

Offline southshorematt

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 46
Nerlens is a mutual friend of mine. Kid is going one and done straight to the league. Good for him... putting Boston on the map.

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2012, 04:01:51 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
At the Nike Hoop Summit, Nerlens Noel measured 6-11, 216lbs with a 7-4 wingspan to give him a 9-1 and a half inch standing reach. Very good size.

Shabazz Mohammad's measurements were very impressive also -- 6-5 and three quarters with a 6-11 and change wingspan giving him a standing reach of 8-8. 223lbs. Excellent size for a SG.

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2012, 07:50:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
And Nerlens is off to Kentucky to fill in the role of Anthony Davis. BTW, if you saw his announcement to attend UK on ESPNU, know this, Nerlens isn't nearly as dumb as he seemed on television. He's actually quite smart.

Seeing him in Celtic Green someday would be pretty cool.