Author Topic: Nerlens Noel from Massachusetts..ESPN U defensive POY..the next KG?  (Read 18974 times)

Re: Nerlens Noel from Massachusetts..ESPN U defensive POY..the next KG?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 04:25:59 AM »

Offline KP43

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • THE BIG3: 9, 34, 5
There is no "next KG."  Let's get over that concept right now.

TP.. there will NEVER be another KG
Doc's gonna tell you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear.

Yeah iknow, my username is Kendrick Perkins and my ranking is Jeff Green. Ironic huh?

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 07:22:25 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

TP.. there will NEVER be another KG

Exactly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyyE9TRmP2c

Nerlens is good, but KG was on a whole 'nother level.

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 07:39:55 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Lol did you read the introduction to the post?
I guess the tag line worked.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 08:03:12 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Chambers - good point. Did not realize the kid was just a sophomore. He seems to have more bulk to him at this stage than KG did. I don't think anyone will ever have KG's mad athleticism, but I like Nerlens here a lot.

For a Sophomore, he seems defensively tuned in, which is rare.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 09:12:40 AM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 09:04:36 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

"my post title is obviously ridiculous but i just wanted to get you to read it so it's all good"

yeah.  my comment stands.  it's silly to keep throwing around terms like "next KG," "next MJ," etc.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 09:22:11 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Here's my prediction...he's the #1 pick in the NBA in 2014, barring injuries. He had one of the more amazing AAU summers ever with the BABC club.

I have absolutely nothing to go on but a youtube video and some stats, so I don't have a qualified opinion.  However, the article suggested that he averaged 13 points / 10 rebounds / 5 blocks against high school competition.

I guess my concern is the lack of dominance  both offensively and on the boards.  For instance, KG's high school numbers (granted, as a senior) were 25.2 points, 17.9 rebounds, 6.7 assists and 6.5 blocks while shooting 66.8%.  That's the type of dominance I expect from a guy projected to go #1.

So, I guess my question is, does he have enough offense / rebounding ability to be a two-way player in the NBA?  I saw your Dikembe description, and that made sense, but Deke was averaging 4.5 blocks in the pros, not at the high school level.  What separates this kid in your mind from someone like Haseem Thabeet?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 01:04:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Here's my prediction...he's the #1 pick in the NBA in 2014, barring injuries. He had one of the more amazing AAU summers ever with the BABC club.

I have absolutely nothing to go on but a youtube video and some stats, so I don't have a qualified opinion.  However, the article suggested that he averaged 13 points / 10 rebounds / 5 blocks against high school competition.

I guess my concern is the lack of dominance  both offensively and on the boards.  For instance, KG's high school numbers (granted, as a senior) were 25.2 points, 17.9 rebounds, 6.7 assists and 6.5 blocks while shooting 66.8%.  That's the type of dominance I expect from a guy projected to go #1.

So, I guess my question is, does he have enough offense / rebounding ability to be a two-way player in the NBA?  I saw your Dikembe description, and that made sense, but Deke was averaging 4.5 blocks in the pros, not at the high school level.  What separates this kid in your mind from someone like Haseem Thabeet?
One those stats of Nerlens was as a sophomore and they weren't playing just any high school schedule. Tilton Academy plays a national high school schedule against the best high school academies in the nation. Two of his former team mates at Tilton were on Connecticut's national championship team last year. He played against Andre Drummond, the kid at Connecticut now, a bunch of times head to head.

He had an amazing summer with the BABC AAU club averaging a triple double in one of the tournaments and winning the prestigious Nike Peach jam tourney and had a championship game of 17 points, 10 rebounds, 6 blocks, 5 assists and 4 steals.

I can personally attest to the fact he has put on some much needed muscle since last year and entering his junior year in high school, he will become and even bigger rebounding and scoring machine. He's developed a real good hook shot that he is effective with off either hand.

Remember, he doesn't even hit college until the 2013-2014 season.

Watch what he does the next couple years. He will be a number one NBA pick. I feel stronger about this than Jsaad does Ron Paul's presidential run.

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 02:24:54 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

One those stats of Nerlens was as a sophomore and they weren't playing just any high school schedule. Tilton Academy plays a national high school schedule against the best high school academies in the nation. Two of his former team mates at Tilton were on Connecticut's national championship team last year. He played against Andre Drummond, the kid at Connecticut now, a bunch of times head to head.

He had an amazing summer with the BABC AAU club averaging a triple double in one of the tournaments and winning the prestigious Nike Peach jam tourney and had a championship game of 17 points, 10 rebounds, 6 blocks, 5 assists and 4 steals.

I can personally attest to the fact he has put on some much needed muscle since last year and entering his junior year in high school, he will become and even bigger rebounding and scoring machine. He's developed a real good hook shot that he is effective with off either hand.

Remember, he doesn't even hit college until the 2013-2014 season.

Watch what he does the next couple years. He will be a number one NBA pick. I feel stronger about this than Jsaad does Ron Paul's presidential run.

yo Ron Paul is amazing, but a bit crazy...im voting for mitt romney though...

but yeh, this kid is still a sophmore, lets see in 2 years where he will be...

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 02:28:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Technically speaking, he's a junior now with his season just beginning on Sunday, Nov 20th.

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 06:24:45 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
He has great timing defensively, but he's NOTHING compared to where KG was offensively at that age.

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 10:47:57 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Looks like he is going against some pretty serious competition there  :D

Hahaha, my thoughts exactly!

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2011, 11:19:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Looks like he is going against some pretty serious competition there  :D

Hahaha, my thoughts exactly!
I don't know what you guys are expecting from a couple of minutes of highlights of a high school sophomore. I mean really, how many future NBA players and stars have high school video of them struggling against the competition they were playing against in high school? If they weren't DOMINATING high school competition would they even BE NBA worthy?

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 12:35:51 AM »

Offline Dog_Lover106

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
FYI, the doubters are really underestimating the level of prep basketball currently being playing in New England and specifically New Hampshire.

Brewster, Tilton and New Hampton are all in the top ten in the most recent SI national poll, ahead of schools like Oak Hill, Findlay Prep and Simeon (Derrick Rose). This simply is the best HS/Prep basketball in the country right now.

My son and I saw Brewster and Notre Dame Prep play last weekend.

IMO, Brewster would currently take Boston College Varsity and the lesser ACC teams apart.

They have Mitch McGary (#2 ranked player class of 2012), Jakarr Sampson and five other major Division One committed players. Recent Brewster grads include Will Barton (Memphis), CJ Fair (Syracuse) Thomas Robinson (Kansas) and Nadir Tharpe (Kansas).

Tilton has a good chance at a national prep championship this year and currently has Nerlens Noel, Georges Niang and Wayne Selden from this summer's BABC team. Noah Vonleh is at New Hampton.

These guys all have NBA potential in the years to come. Vonleh is very special and Noel has been called the best shot blocker in the country not currently in the NBA. The KG comparison is really not fair, as his offensive game is not developed.

McGary at Brewster is 6' 10" 260 lbs and plays like Dave Cowens. A crazy motor and will likely be a major national impact player at Michigan next year.

Again this is NOT your run of the mill high school basketball competition. The Brewster warm up was like the NBA dunk contest and the Brewster/Notre Dame Prep game was 108-97 up tempo and they were both playing tough defensive. Jakarr Sampson had a throw down that was one of the 5 best dunks I have ever seen in a live game.

Try to see some high level New England prep basketball. These games are cheap, lightly attended and the skill level is amazing. The National Prep Showcase is in New Haven this weekend and the Hall of Fame tourney is in Springfield sometime in January.

These kids will blow your mind.....

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 01:11:33 AM by Dog_Lover106 »

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2012, 07:47:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
An update on the player I would love the Celtics to nab in the future and build their next dynasty around:

http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/boys-basketball/post/_/id/1588/nerlens-noel-swats-his-way-to-dominance

Nerlens Noel is a nice guy so he’s willing to give you the first one. It’s only when you’ve become a repeat offender that he can’t help but to feel some kind of way about it.

When opposing big men or driving guards have the gall to attempt a shot in Noel’s lane, it offends him deeply. Therefore he’s forced to send an early message.

“I try and swat their shots even further into the stands or down the court,” said Noel, a junior center at Tilton (Tilton, N.H.) who is ranked No. 2 in the ESPNU 60. “To be honest, it makes me feel a little disrespected.”

Makes sense for a player who, after the win, only cares about his block total for the game. This season Noel is averaging 7.5 blocks to go along with 12 points and 10 rebounds.

He blocked six shots, scored nine points, dished out six assists and snagged 17 rebounds in Tilton’s 80-50 win over Friends Central (Philadelphia) Monday night in the Signature Series semifinals of the City of Palms Classic.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011-1223/2011-city-of-palms-report-top-player-performances/

2. Nerlens Noel (Tilton School) – Noel averaged 8.5 points, 19 rebounds, and 5 blocks over 2 games this week. Those numbers could have been even better as both contests were blowout wins and saw the bench being emptied towards the end.

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2012, 07:51:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
An update on the player I would love the Celtics to nab in the future and build their next dynasty around:

http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/boys-basketball/post/_/id/1588/nerlens-noel-swats-his-way-to-dominance

Nerlens Noel is a nice guy so he’s willing to give you the first one. It’s only when you’ve become a repeat offender that he can’t help but to feel some kind of way about it.

When opposing big men or driving guards have the gall to attempt a shot in Noel’s lane, it offends him deeply. Therefore he’s forced to send an early message.

I try and swat their shots even further into the stands or down the court,” said Noel, a junior center at Tilton (Tilton, N.H.) who is ranked No. 2 in the ESPNU 60. “To be honest, it makes me feel a little disrespected.”

Makes sense for a player who, after the win, only cares about his block total for the game. This season Noel is averaging 7.5 blocks to go along with 12 points and 10 rebounds.

He blocked six shots, scored nine points, dished out six assists and snagged 17 rebounds in Tilton’s 80-50 win over Friends Central (Philadelphia) Monday night in the Signature Series semifinals of the City of Palms Classic.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011-1223/2011-city-of-palms-report-top-player-performances/

2. Nerlens Noel (Tilton School) – Noel averaged 8.5 points, 19 rebounds, and 5 blocks over 2 games this week. Those numbers could have been even better as both contests were blowout wins and saw the bench being emptied towards the end.

Interesting story, but I hope he gets some good coaching.  Give him two years at Duke or something, to teach him that there's more to the game than block totals and how far you can send the balls into the court.  Also, if we ever do happen to draft him, sit him down with Bill Russell to talk about how senseless it is to send shots into the stands.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes