Author Topic: Dan Uggla, 29 game hitting streak, hitting just .220 on season  (Read 8343 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I find this incredibly difficult to comprehend.  The man has gotten a hit every game for a month and yet is still just hitting a paltry .220.  He was at .173 when the streak started, but I am just totally fascinated by the streak and his current batting average.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Dan Uggla, 29 game hitting streak, hitting just .220 on season
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 09:08:30 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Love it!

Big Dan getting it done!

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 09:17:39 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
It's funny, cuz this is what I always thought about when I tried to comprehend Joe DiMaggio's record, and why people thought it was so special  It never really impressed  me that much, I always thought all a guy has to do is go 1-5 in 56 straight games, doesn't seem that impressive to me.  A guy batting .200 could break the record.

And here we have Dan Uggla doing what I always thought could happen  ;D

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 09:19:18 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The Ugly Uggla hitting streak
Yup

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 09:55:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
got a hit tonight hitting the 30 game mark. 

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 09:57:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
It's funny, cuz this is what I always thought about when I tried to comprehend Joe DiMaggio's record, and why people thought it was so special  It never really impressed  me that much, I always thought all a guy has to do is go 1-5 in 56 straight games, doesn't seem that impressive to me.  A guy batting .200 could break the record.

And here we have Dan Uggla doing what I always thought could happen  ;D
Well he has raised his average about 50 points in the streak.  He started it July 5th and has hit well over .300 during the streak.  He was just so low when it started. 

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 10:15:26 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
His turn-around has certainly helped Atlanta (and won me a PAPTBG recently :)).

They've hit a rough patch the last week or so, but Atlanta's doing well so far this season.

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 12:02:53 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
As a HUGE Braves fan, I was very disappointed with his start to the season.  The trade of Infante for Uggla was looking terrible.  But since his streak started he has batted over .300 and really started to hit for power again.  His overall average just looks so bad because of how terrible his first few months were.

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 09:08:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
His turn-around has certainly helped Atlanta (and won me a PAPTBG recently :)).

They've hit a rough patch the last week or so, but Atlanta's doing well so far this season.
They go in spurts and have all season long.  Still have the 4th best record in baseball and a 4.5 game lead on Arizona for the NL wild card.  Bourn has really helped and Freeman just had a 20 game game hitting streak end finally giving the top of the order some decent OBP's, which has helped the offense as a whole.  Once McCann comes back and if Uggla keeps improving and Chipper can stay remotely healthy, I think they could challenge Philadelphia and San Fran in the playoffs given their excellent pitching staff. 

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 10:00:29 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
As a HUGE Braves fan, I was very disappointed with his start to the season.  The trade of Infante for Uggla was looking terrible.  But since his streak started he has batted over .300 and really started to hit for power again.  His overall average just looks so bad because of how terrible his first few months were.

If it's any consolation, it can't hurt to see that Infante has managed to perform even less effectively at the plate than Uggla has in 2011.  The total value difference between them has been approximately one win above replacement, and that's due to Uggla's struggles in the field, which have plagued him throughout his career.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 10:13:23 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

If it's any consolation, it can't hurt to see that Infante has managed to perform even less effectively at the plate than Uggla has in 2011.  The total value difference between them has been approximately one win above replacement, and that's due to Uggla's struggles in the field, which have plagued him throughout his career.

-sw
Plus Uggla's hitting characteristics have been better than his awful performance has indicated.

I think he'll rebound after this year, and the hitting streak is probably a sign he's still a reasonably productive hitter.

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 10:29:51 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

-sw
Plus Uggla's hitting characteristics have been better than his awful performance has indicated.

I think he'll rebound after this year, and the hitting streak is probably a sign he's still a reasonably productive hitter.

Agreed.  The fact that he's 42 points off his previous career low BABIP (and some 61 points off his .293 career BABIP figure) should be a sign the regression to the mean that began in July will continue (along with some likely OBP improvement).

Additionally, after attending the Braves' Saturday and Sunday games in New York, I've taken a bit more of a personal investment in Uggla's streak (hey, it's not like there's much to do as a Dodgers fan these days).  Here's hoping it continues.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 07:44:53 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
31, Baby!!

Keep it up, ATL!

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 08:08:19 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Dan Does it again!! ;D

Go Braves!!

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 08:48:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
he doesn't leave much suspense with all these first inning hits.  Up to 33 now.