Author Topic: Breaks of the Game by David Halberstam  (Read 1618 times)

Breaks of the Game by David Halberstam
« on: August 03, 2011, 08:54:43 AM »

Offline Employee8

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
Hey guys,

I'm reading "Breaks of the Game" by David Halberstam and I have to say, it's opened my eyes so much about the history of the NBA.  I'm a young fan, started following the Celtics after the 2002 ECF run with the Dynamic Duo.  Before that, only the Red Sox existed so I'm still learning that no, Bill Russell didn't play in the 1930s and yes, Dave Cowens was a beast in the 70s.

I got to the part where Portland visits Boston and David goes tangent to the storyline to talk about the Celtics mystique.  It's really too bad that the current NBA culture has made the Celtics who they are now.  From what I read, it looks like the Celtics of old fostered their championship teams because of how Red was loved and hated at the same time by his own players.  He was hated because they were paid so little and so they made sure to play well in order to get that playoff money.  But they also loved Red for who he was, a fierce competitor who had morals that he stood by.  He refused to pay a younger player more money than the eldest player on the team.  Every rookie had to prove his worth and each person will have his turn as being the highest paid player if he sticks to the team, proves his loyalty and is capable of leading his team to the championship.  If you weren't paid as much, there is a reason for it.

But Larry Bird changed that.  There was no way Red could pass him up and you could not just underpay him.  Fast forward to our team, and it's no wonder why we've become mediocre.  It's like that with every other fanbase- money screws up the team's cohesion.  I'm looking at Big Baby, who's play is simply average at best and he's suggesting that he wants starter's minutes and salary.  And I simply don't like his playing style.  Yes he takes good charges but he also flops quite a bit.  This is not C's basketball.  I think we should start looking for players not with the best talent but someone who understand his role and is capable of deferring to others if it will make the team better.  Glen does not have the talent, and he's not going to defer if needed.  He's going to a problem and is a bad influence for the rookies.

The big 3 understand the need to lead sometimes and the need to defer in other times.  Rondo has the IQ and is all about winning.  I used to want to trade him because I thought he'd be a problem for us if we start losing after the big 3 retires but that's a good thing.  Rondo is a winner, has that mentality and will take whatever it does to win.  Chris Paul looks like he doesn't care about winning as long as he's got his money and is riding bikes with LeBron during his annual bike-a-thon in Akron.  This is not going to be a Celtics team if CP3 comes in.

I'm glad we have someone with links to Red in Danny.  He knows what it takes to win and I hope he keeps finding those young players with character, intelligence and talent to bring the team closer together.

I don't have a point in this post, I guess.  I'm hoping we can get back to the old days where everybody respects the Celtics tradition and play with each other, to challenge each other to be better.

I look at the Miami Heat and I just shudder.