Author Topic: 2011 CB Draft Southwest Division Press Conferences  (Read 20382 times)

Re: 2011 CB Draft Southwest Division Press Conferences
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 11:27:22 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Where the heck are the rest of the GM's?!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 11:28:16 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
Should be fixed.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Where did you get those stats from? Ray and Redd haven't averaged 20ppg in a couple years for different reasons, and i'm sure Bibby;s 15ppg was more like his season high from this year.

Those are career stats.

Hibbert's are way off then. He hasn't averaged 16 and 9 in a season, let alone his career.

Looks like those are Hibbert's career Per-36 numbers.

May have just glanced at the wrong column.  I'll fix that.  My bad.

No worries, Hibbert is obviously better than his career numbers suggest, but those averages stood out to a professed Roy-doubter like me. Wasn't trying to suggest that you were trying to skew the averages in your favor, I was just confused. Thanks for understanding.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 12:39:36 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
San Antonio

We rock because I said so!

Real press conference to come.

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 01:10:14 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
San Antonio Spurs

Head Coach: Rick Carlisle

Starting Five

PG- Russell Westbrook
21.9ppg, 8.2 apg, 4.6rpg, 44fg%, 33 3pt%, 84.2 ft%

SG- Arron Affalo
12.6 ppg, 2.4 apg, 3.6rpg, 49.8fg%, 42.3 3pt%, 84.7 ft%

SF- Grant Hill
13.2 ppg, 2.5 apg, 4.2rpg, 48.4fg%, 39.5 3pt%, 82.9 ft%

PF- Carlos Boozer
17.5ppg, 2.5 apg, 9.6rpg, 51fg%, 70.1 ft%

C-  Chris Kaman
12.4 ppg, 1.4 apg, 7.0 rpg, 47.1fg%, 75.4 ft%

Bench

G/SF: Vince Carter
14.2ppg, 2.0 apg, 3.8 rpg, 43.7fg%, 36.1 3pt%, 74.0 ft%

PG: Luke Ridnour
11.8ppg, 5.4apg, 2.8rpg, 46.8fg%, 44 3pt%, 88.3 ft%

SF: Al-Faroug Aminu
5.6ppg, 0.6apg, 3.3rpg, 39.4 fg%, 31.5 3pt%, 77.3 ft%

PF: Amir Johnson
9.6ppg, 1.1apg, 6.4rpg, 56.8fg%, 78.8ft%

C: Kurt Thomas
4.1ppg, 1.1apg, 5.8 rpg, 51.1fg%, 62.5ft%

G: Keith Bogans
4.4ppg, 1.2apg, 1.8rpg, 40.4fg%, 38 3pt%, 65.6ft%

F/C: Larry Sanders
4.3ppg, 0.3apg, 3.0rpg, 43.3fg%, 56.0 ft%

G/F: Kyle Singler Rookie

Draft Philosophy

Well I had pick 23 in round one, so it was really a case of seeing who fell. When Westbrook was there, I jumped. From there it was a case of building around him. Yes, I see him in the Derrick Rose role.

So I picked up an all-star level PF in Carlos Boozer to compliment Westbrook, to give him a #2 (a role Boozer plays in real life) and a low post scorer.

I traded for Grant Hill to give me a talented SF with a versatile game who can defend the other teams primary wing threat.

I traded for Kaman to give me a vet center who can score, rebound and defend.

I drafted Affalo to give me a starter who can play D, score and is a good chemistry guy.

For the bench, I drafted Carter to give me a 6th man who can be the primary focus of the second unit and provide offense in bunches.

I drafted Ridnour to give me a solid, experienced back up to Westbrook, who can also step in and play some pg, if I choose to shift Westbrook to the 2.

Kurt Thomas gives me a vet big, who will be good in the locker room and can play PF and C.

Amir Johnson is a young big who can score and rebound. Larry Sanders is a young big who can rebound and defend. Bogans is a defensive stopper off the bench. Aminu provides a young, talented SF.

Toughest Decision

Westbrook over Joe Johnson or Chris Bosh.

Best Move

Kurt Thomas as a late pick. Trading Demarcus Cousins for Kaman.

Team Outlook

I think this is a team capable of winning the division and finishing in the top 4 in the West.

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 01:13:06 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Rebus Kaman has only 30ish games two out of the last three seasons, are you worried with Kurt Thomas as your only primary back up?

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2011, 01:16:45 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
YES REBUSRANKIN SHOWED UP!

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 01:26:04 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
Rebus Kaman has only 30ish games two out of the last three seasons, are you worried with Kurt Thomas as your only primary back up?

A little. However I think Thomas combined with Sanders would hold down the fort.

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 01:26:08 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
SAN ANTONE:

Rebus,love the additions of Afflalo and Hill to the starting unit.  I was very cold on Afflalo when he first came into the league but i've since changed my tune.

After checking thru Ty Lawsons numbers in the playoffs for my own presser, i came across some stats that suggested a regression on the part of Russell Westbrook.  I'd like to just post this past year's playoff performance for RDub with the year prior:

09/10: 21pts/6rbs/6asts/47%fg/42%3pt/2.3turnovers
10/11: 24pts/5rbs/6asts/39%fg/29%3pt/4.6turnovers

Those are some pretty awful numbers in terms of efficiency and a regression from impressive numbers the year before.  All of this capped off by being benched in the 4th quarter of game 2 v Dallas.

You mentioned that you expect the scoring and playmaking burden to fall on Westbrook, and you expect him to handle it a la Derrick Rose.  My questions are as follows:

why should we expect Westbrook to go from a 4th quarter benching to an MVP candidate?  How do you explain those turnover rates and why will he improve those?

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 01:35:50 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
CLEVELAND
CAVALIERS

Rotation

C Pau Gasol/ Timofey Mozgov
PF Blake Griffin/ Ekpe Udoh/ Trevor Booker
SF Danilo Gallinari/ Reggie Williams
SG J.J. Redick/ Josh Howard/ Jordan Crawford
PG Ricky Rubio/ Aaron Brooks/ Eric Bledsoe

Starting Five

Gasol and his teammates struggled so badly in the postseason that it's easy to forget that he attempted more shots per minute than he ever has as a Laker while maintaing his effeciency, turned the ball over less, posted his highest PER and Win Share, and earned All-NBA Second Team honors. The most polished 4/5 in the league  can go to either hand on the block, loves the high post, has a dangerous 15' jumper, consistently finds cutters, draws and makes free throws. Gasol finished 2nd in Win Shares, 5th in double doubles, 6th in rebounding, 8th in minutes played, 12th in FG%, 14th in blocks, 15th in efficiency, 20th in free throw attempts.

18.8 points .529 FG% .823 FT% 10.2 rebounds 3.3 assists 1.6 blocks 23.3 PER

The first rookie All-Star since Yao Ming in 2003. The first rookie with two 40+ point performances since Allen Iverson in 1996. In his delayed debut Griffin mounted a campaign for the ages. Ecstatic basketball, tenacity, smart rebounding, top conditioning, a great sense of spacing, and a underrated craftiness to his offensive game. Blake is quick and decisive when he does act, yet also patient and adept at finding open teammates out of the post, the double-team, or both. It got so bad teams started giving him flagrant fouls to get him off the rim. Nothing worked. Went ahead and finished 2nd in the league in free throw attempts, 3rd in double doubles, 4th in rebounding, 5th in minutes played, 11th in efficiency, 12th in scoring, 20th in win shares.

22.5 points .506 FG% .642 FT% 12.1 rebounds 3.8 assists 0.8 steals 21.93 PER

The rangy 6'10" sharp shooter and nightly mismatch led all small forwards in free throw attempt to field goal attempt ratio (.611), beating out even Durant, James and Anthony. He was the 26th most efficient scorer in the NBA last season at 22, and scored an outstanding 1.09 PPP when isolated, good for fifth in the league. He also rebounds his position and is improving on defense, skilled at bothering shooters with his length and helped by great lateral quickness for his size. His strength is hedging on the pick and roll (.58 PPP, .30 FG%, 6th) and contesting off screens (.86 PPP, .405 FG%, 75th) Still hampered last year from missing most of his rookie season, Gallo is due for a breakout in 2011-12.

15.6 points .414 FG% .352 3PT% .862 FT% 4.9 rebounds, 1.7 assists 0.8 steals 15.71 PER

One of the few mainstays in Orlando's rotation, Redick is not just first class in catch-and-shoot situations (1.21 PPP, 23rd) he also reads defenses well and can and will attack off the dribble, plays within himself and with urgency and takes care of the ball. On defense, J.J. is generally overmatched guarding bigger or quicker two guards, but is rarely caught out of position or giving up on a play, and has developed in to one of the best in the league at chasing his man and contesting shots. Opposing guards shot just 31.6% coming off screens against Redick last season (.71 PPP, 20th).

10.1 points .441 FG% .397 3PT% .875 FT% 1.9 rebounds 1.7 assists 0.9 TO 12.89 PER

The much discussed rookie point guard who will turn 21 just before the season begins, isn't unlikely to be an effective scorer at the start, rather his model for success is the defensive guard who generates possessions by collecting rebounds and steals at a high rate and creates opportunities for teammates through upper-echelon ball-handling and passing. In an underwhelming 2010-11 season Rubio still led all ACB point-guards in both steals and rebounds. And while his assist rate fell from a ridiculous 2008-09 peak, which was a standard deviation better than the next best player's, Ricky remained in the top three over the past two years. Poor scoring efficiency aside, Rubio did three things: pass, steal, and rebound, better than any point-guard in Europe.

Quote from: Sebastian Pruiti
[size=9]Rubio isn’t just a ball hawk though, as the numbers show he is a very good on the ball defender as well.  Teams have tried to use pick and rolls to get an advantage on Rubio, running him off of ball screens 48.9% of the time, but Rubio has done a good job defending off of screens.  Rubio’s opponents coming off of ball screens shoot 36.9% from the field while posting a PPP of just 0.683 while forcing turnovers 25.4% of the time.
In isolation situations, Rubio is an even better defender, holding opponents to a PPP of 0.634 on 29.6% shooting.[/size]

8.9 points .358 FG% .886 FT% .267 3PT% 4.6 rebounds 7.3 assists 1.8 steals - Kevin Pelton's projected 2011-12 performance

Bench

Josh Howard - 62 playoff games and when he was last healthy he averaged 18 points on 45% shooting, 5.1 rebounds, 1.6 assists, and 1.1 steals as a plus defender. Became a vocal leader in Washington rather than squander his latest chance. Heck even in an injury plagued 2009-10 Howard was good for 12.7 points, 3.6 rebounds and 1.4 assists in 26 minutes. Although his offensive efficiency has suffered markedly.

Aaron Brooks - Isn't likely to replicate his 2009-10 performance where he was named the NBA's most improved player after averaging a career-high 19.6 points and 5.3 assists and becoming the sixth player in league history to tally at least 200 three-pointers and 400 assists in a single season. His play, particularly his shooting bottomed out - along with his confidence - following contentious extension negotiations, a chronic ankle injury and mid-season trade. But he's still a dangerous combination of quickness into the lane and streak shooting, the Cavaliers third toughest cover on any given night. And when he's too hot to take out, he's capable of playing the two guard for short stretches alongside Rubio.

Reggie Williams - Over a season and half has established himself as a legitimate, and highly efficient scorer, despite playing behind a pair of high volume shooters in Golden State. His 1.08 PPP ranked 14th in the league! Guy has a knack for getting tough mid-range baskets, can get hot in a hurry, and ranked 9th in the NBA in 3PT% (.423).

Assessment

Season outlook: Does size win the day or star power? The Wine and Gold have two top five big men. Two top six rebounders. The league's most efficient one-two scoring tandem - the Knicks are a distant second and some nine teams don't have one scoring option as efficient. Two top five passing big men surrounded on the perimeter by a bevy of aggressive knockdown shooters. I'm not sure there's a defense out there with both the size inside and sufficient perimeter defenders to prevent the Cavaliers from getting the looks they want.

Cleveland has the league's best inside-out offense and is tough in transition - Griffin and Rubio together is a nightmare and Gasol is one of the game's best trailers-  and features smart team play on both ends; strong rebounding, and depth.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 12:14:51 AM by The Walker Wiggle »

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2011, 01:56:37 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
SAN ANTONE:

Rebus,love the additions of Afflalo and Hill to the starting unit.  I was very cold on Afflalo when he first came into the league but i've since changed my tune.

After checking thru Ty Lawsons numbers in the playoffs for my own presser, i came across some stats that suggested a regression on the part of Russell Westbrook.  I'd like to just post this past year's playoff performance for RDub with the year prior:

Those are some pretty awful numbers in terms of efficiency and a regression from impressive numbers the year before.  All of this capped off by being benched in the 4th quarter of game 2 v Dallas.

You mentioned that you expect the scoring and playmaking burden to fall on Westbrook, and you expect him to handle it a la Derrick Rose.  My questions are as follows:

why should we expect Westbrook to go from a 4th quarter benching to an MVP candidate?  How do you explain those turnover rates and why will he improve those?

The turnover rate, I believe will improve just due to maturity. He's only 22 and been a pg for three years and is already 2nd team all NBA.

After the benching he did put up 27, 6 and 6 showing his competiveness and talent. He didn't sulk, he raised he play.

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2011, 01:58:43 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
WWW, what kind of points are you expecting out of Redick? Gallinari?

What progress should Blake Griffin make next season?

Pau Gasol has gotten to the Finals with Kobe, but never past the 1st round on his own. He's not with Kobe, but he's not on his own. How far can he get?

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 01:59:49 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
WINE & GOLD

What a scary inside game you have going.  I would pay good money to see Gasol and Griffin in the same frontcourt. Gallo and Reddick are great shooters to place around the 3pt line.

I'm not sold on Rubio, though.  His time will come, but i don't think he's ready to be a starting PG on a championship team as of today.

Two questions:

What do you make of these ugly Euroleague numbers for Rubio:

6.5 ppg, 3.3 rpg, slightly less than a 2:1 asst/to ratio, 31% fg, 22% 3pt???

Why start Rubio over Aaron Brooks? Why not ease Rubio into the NBA considering this team's expectations?

DKC Utah Jazz

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 02:00:33 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
TWW, what kinda minutes do you expect to see out of Rubio?

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2011, 02:06:56 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
SAN ANTONE:

The turnover rate, I believe will improve just due to maturity. He's only 22 and been a pg for three years and is already 2nd team all NBA.

After the benching he did put up 27, 6 and 6 showing his competiveness and talent. He didn't sulk, he raised he play.

Rebus,

I agree that he is still maturing, and after game two's benching he did put up a ton of points, but again the efficiency factor: in the 3 games after his benching his AST:TOs was 17:16, shot 37% from the field, and 13% from 3.

I don't mean to harp on Westbrook but i came across a lot of this during my own presser.  I like the kid a lot but those 3 games post-benching, to me, don't indicate that he "raised his play." They also lost those 3 games.

DKC Utah Jazz