Author Topic: 2011 CB Draft Southwest Division Press Conferences  (Read 20388 times)

2011 CB Draft Southwest Division Press Conferences
« on: July 26, 2011, 11:50:54 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Here, each of the GMs representing a team in the Southwest Division will provide an introduction / summary of their team, draft strategy, etc.  Other members should ask questions (directed to one or more GMs), and those GMs should attempt to answer the questions as well as they can.

For those participating, the opening blurbs can include some or all of the following:

1. Roster / depth chart
2. Statistics
3. Pictures
4. Statement regarding drafting philosophy (building for the future, contending now, etc.)
5. Toughest decision
6. Best move (trade, pick, etc.) / worst move
7. Your outlook for this coming season

It can be as substantial or as abbreviated as you want it to be.  These threads are open to all members, not just those posters who participated in the draft.  The more participation we get, the better.

==============================================================

Gaberkowitz - Hornets - Pending

THE Walker Wiggle - Cavaliers - Pending

RebusRankin - Spurs - Pending

Donoghus - Grizzlies - Pending
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:45:19 AM by IndeedProceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
Memphis Grizzlies

Head Coach: Doug Collins 373-328 .532 winning pct.

Starting Five

PG- Derrick Rose 20.9 ppg 6.5 ast 3.8 rpg 0.8 stl

SG- Ray Allen 20.2 ppg .399 3P% .893 FT% 1.2 stl

SF- Tayshaun Prince 12.9 ppg 4.7 rpg .464 FG%  

PF- Kris Humphries 5.6 ppg 4.7 rpg 1.1 blk .527 FG%

C-  Roy Hibbert 10.6 ppg 5.7 rpg 1.5 blk

Bench

G- Brandon Knight Rookie

G- Mike Bibby 15.2 ppg 5.7 ast .381 3P%

G/F- Kyle Korver 8.3 ppg .880 FT% .411 3P%

G/F- Michael Redd 20.0 ppg .449 FG% .383 3P%

F- Omri Casspi 9.5 ppg 4.4 rpg 0.7 stl

F- Patrick Patterson 6.3 ppg 3.8 rpg 1.5 blk

F- Kenneth Faried Rookie

C- Spencer Hawes 8.4 ppg 5.6 rpg 1.0 blk

Draft Philosophy

Honestly, I just wanted to build a team that I thought would be fun to watch and that had parts that would mesh.  I think the game is much more enjoyable when its fluid and, to me, complementary parts can achieve that.  

I figured with a top ten pick that I would be able to grab an "alpha dog" to build a team around.  With the 6th pick, I didn't exactly know who I wanted but I had it down to 3 guys.  When two of them went, I was left with one guy who I was perfectly content taking; Derrick Rose.   Living out here in Chicago for the past two years has given me plenty of exposure to Rose and it was a lot of fun to watch him this past season where it seemed like (at times) he willed a team to the #1 seed in the Eastern Conference.  He plays the PG position a lot like I wish Rondo could and figured that I'd start and build around a PG which is a unusual position for me to take if you consider my CB draft history where I tend to build inside/out.

I saw how Rose was forced to deal with subpar SG performance alongside him and I always felt that Ray Allen would've been a great piece to put next to him in the backcourt.  So it was a no-brainer to me when I had the opportunity to draft Ray in the 2nd round.

I followed up the Rose/Allen 1-2 punch with Hibbert, Prince, and Humphries rounding out my starting five.  See below for thoughts on my Hibbert pick.  I felt Prince was a great complementary player to put aside Allen and gave me a strong wing presence while also being a player who "knows his role" and has a championship pedigree to help things out.

With the bench, I went more youth-oriented with some high energy players down low that can creat some competition at the PF position and can fill in if Humphries, indeed, had a career year and regresses too much.  Patterson showed some great promise in his rookie year and I see more improvement out of him in his 2nd year.  As rookies, Faried and Knight are guys that I believe that slowly immerse themselves into things as the year progresses.  Hawes gives me more size at the C position to help shore up things.  

Redd is a gamble considering his past health woes but I believe is worth the gamble given that many minutes won't be required of him. I think Bibby still has enough in the tank to contribute in small minutes.  I think he can be there to help out Knight who I believe has much promise as witnessed by his top ten selection in this past draft.  Korver is a shooter who can come off the bench and help contribute offensively when Ray is out.

Toughest Decision

I thought long & hard about drafting Kendrick Perkins in the 3rd round instead of Roy Hibbert.  In the end, I just felt like I'd better set with someone a little more well-rounded at the position and felt Hibbert was one of the few remaining starting caliber big men to fit my need.  

It would've been fun with Perk, though.

Best Move

I liked some of the later picks I had.  I really was impressed with Kenneth Faried and his performance in this past year's NCAA tournament.  The kid just had a non-stop motor and was an absolute beast on the boards. I think he could have a promising future as rotational NBA player.  

Team Outlook

I think this team is top 4 seed caliber in the Western Conference and will be a serious contender to take the Southwest crown.

This team has a nice mix of youth and veteran experience and will be a fun team to watch as Rose leads the charge.  

I feel this team is built not only for the '11-12 season but for the future, also.  The youth on the bench will gain the experience that will help them down the road while also believing that they can step in right away as contributors, also. Its a well-rounded bench.

Matchups will dictate many things but I think this team will put up points as well as play good team defense.  I think rebounding is team strength and my hope is that they will control the boards in many instances.  I like the ability of my team, specifically, Rose to penetrate and draw in defenses thus allowing players like Allen & Korver to get good looks on the perimeter.  

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:28:04 AM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Where did you get those stats from? Ray and Redd haven't averaged 20ppg in a couple years for different reasons, and i'm sure Bibby;s 15ppg was more like his season high from this year.

The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Where did you get those stats from? Ray and Redd haven't averaged 20ppg in a couple years for different reasons, and i'm sure Bibby;s 15ppg was more like his season high from this year.

Those are career stats.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Re: 2011 CB Draft Southwest Division Press Conferences
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 10:06:33 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Where you at, Southwest GMs?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 10:18:38 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Memphis:

What type of production do you expect to get out of your bench?  Who is your 6th man? 

In terms of seeding, here are the teams I have ahead of you:

1.  Sacramento
2.  Portland
3.  Golden State
4.  Utah
5.  Denver
6.  Cleveland
7.  Memphis

You project your team as a top-four team; which three of those teams should move down below you, and why?

Is Hibbert/Humphries a good enough front line defensively to compete with the better big man combos in the league?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 10:25:38 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Memphis, how do you think Hibbert and Humprhies are going to fair against some of the elite 4-5 combo's such as Nene & Bosh and Bogut & Amare?

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 11:10:40 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
MEMPHIS:

Rose/Allen mix is fantastic - this alone will get you a playoff seed.

However, i need convincing that this team can get it done defensively outside of Rose + Prince.  Doesn't seem like there's anything there in your reserves to help on that end. 

Am i overlooking Hibbert as a post defender? tell me what Humphries can do defensively besides lock down a bubble butt.  Is Patterson "that guy" off the bench who can defend/is he ready for the playoff spotlight?

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 11:16:14 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Slammed at work today.  Promise to address these questions at some point this afternoon/tonight.  Thanks for bearing with me

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.

Those are career stats.

Hibbert's are way off then. He hasn't averaged 16 and 9 in a season, let alone his career.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Those are career stats.

Hibbert's are way off then. He hasn't averaged 16 and 9 in a season, let alone his career.

Looks like those are Hibbert's career Per-36 numbers.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421

Those are career stats.

I think they are per 36 career stats.

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.

Those are career stats.

Seems a bit confusing, using career stats for the rest of the starters and then per-36 numbers for Hibs, especially when his rookie year per-36 numbers include 7.7 fouls per game.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Those are career stats.

May have just glanced at the wrong column.  I'll fix that.  My bad.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Those are career stats.

Seems a bit confusing, using career stats for the rest of the starters and then per-36 numbers for Hibs, especially when his rookie year per-36 numbers include 7.7 fouls per game.

My guess is that it was a mistake; otherwise, Dons would have used Humphries' per-36 numbers, too.