Author Topic: Your All Time Team  (Read 17247 times)

Your All Time Team
« on: July 26, 2011, 06:49:02 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Alright, we all know people have the "All Time Greatest" players.  Bill Russell is sometimes considered the greatest center ever, but realistically, could he stop Shaq in his prime?

What I'd like to see is everyone's all time starting 5.  You have to consider how they could match up with other created starting 5s.  You can mix positions if you want, like putting Russell at the 4 since he'd probably be a PF if he played today because of his size.  So I'll start:

PG:  Jordan
SG:  Kobe
SF:  Durant
PF:  Hakeem
C:  Shaq

Pretty much any lineup can be beaten depending on the matchups, but you need to create a team that would be beaten by the least amount of teams.

Please entertain me with this game!

Re: Your All Time Team
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 06:51:32 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Magic
Jordan
Bird
McHale
Olajuwon  this have to be shaq but i like olajuwon spacing the floor

a nightmare for defense under
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 06:56:01 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
Magic
Jordan
Bird
McHale
Olajuwon  this have to be shaq but i like olajuwon spacing the floor

For me Bird and Magic were difficult to leave off, but I think there are plenty of players they would have difficulty guarding.  Magic was terrible at covering point guards.  Jordan would have to cover the PG and Magic and Larry would be left to cover opposing wing players.  It would be a nightmare for either of them to have to cover Kobe, Lebron, Wade or even a guy like Ray Allen.  My whole team had to have defensive ability.  McHale also used to get smoked by Karl Malone.

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 07:22:21 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Alright, we all know people have the "All Time Greatest" players.  Bill Russell is sometimes considered the greatest center ever, but realistically, could he stop Shaq in his prime?

A comment in support of Bill Russell.  You are correct that the 1965 Bill Russell could not stop the 2001 Shaq.  However, Bill Russell out-competed the 7'1" 275 pound Wilt Chamberlain, who was as close to Shaq as there was in that era.  Had Russell (and Chamberlain for that matter) been born 40 years later, they would have had all of the benefits of state of the art fitness training and supplemental (not saying illegal) supports that Shaq could avail himself of.  I am not sure Russell would have been able to play center in the 'modern era', but it would be interesting to see how his strength would have been enhanced by modern supplements and technology.

In the way they say 'pound for pound' X is the best fighter, I would say 'era for era' Russell is the best center.

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 07:28:29 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
Magic
Jordan
Bird
McHale

For me Bird and Magic were difficult to leave off, but I think there are plenty of players they would have difficulty guarding.  Magic was terrible at covering point guards.  Jordan would have to cover the PG and Magic and Larry would be left to cover opposing wing players.  It would be a nightmare for either of them to have to cover Kobe, Lebron, Wade or even a guy like Ray Allen.  My whole team had to have defensive ability.  McHale also used to get smoked by Karl Malone.

Magic deffend everysingle PG in the league as
 much
as Bird in his prime can deffend 4 positions
Magic was as athletic freak as Lebron

I am ok with them there

And what if they win 150 to 149
they will win every game
theyre simply that clutch
no way these lose

Athletism is overrated by this generation, Greg, Brains always  win

P.s. wonder how Lebrons legs run scared facing this 5
jaja

p.s.2. I did it only 1980 to date
I am sure there are wonderfull centers like wilt and Bill that can make me change my mind
but for now i will stick to this 5

p.s.3 malone was somehow a shocker too

Nice to be back!

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 07:29:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'll take my chances with:

Magic
Jordan
Bird
Duncan
Russell

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum

A comment in support of Bill Russell.  You are correct that the 1965 Bill Russell could not stop the 2001 Shaq.  However, Bill Russell out-competed the 7'1" 275 pound Wilt Chamberlain, who was as close to Shaq as there was in that era.  Had Russell (and Chamberlain for that matter) been born 40 years later, they would have had all of the benefits of state of the art fitness training and supplemental (not saying illegal) supports that Shaq could avail himself of.  I am not sure Russell would have been able to play center in the 'modern era', but it would be interesting to see how his strength would have been enhanced by modern supplements and technology.

In the way they say 'pound for pound' X is the best fighter, I would say 'era for era' Russell is the best center.
I'm not trying to take anything away from him, just using him as an example.  I'm sure a team of Oscar, West, Baylor, Russell and Wilt could compete with any modern team you put out there.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 07:31:58 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Magic
Jordan
Bird
McHale

For me Bird and Magic were difficult to leave off, but I think there are plenty of players they would have difficulty guarding.  Magic was terrible at covering point guards.  Jordan would have to cover the PG and Magic and Larry would be left to cover opposing wing players.  It would be a nightmare for either of them to have to cover Kobe, Lebron, Wade or even a guy like Ray Allen.  My whole team had to have defensive ability.  McHale also used to get smoked by Karl Malone.

Magic wasn't exactly Gary Payton but he wasn't terrible at guarding point guards. They had the hand check rule back then, you need to figure out what set of rules to use. Bird was significantly better on defense than Durant, btw.

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 07:35:54 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

Magic
Jordan
Bird
Duncan
Russell

Duncan  and McHale will be a debate even for me forever but i love kevin
Russell ( even if i am not consider him but i am sure he can play for Shaq or Hakeem )

Love your 1 2 3
this guys are without question the best backourt ever to play togheter
and the best to dream together without questions
there are lots of more debate with the bigs than with 3 mega multi zillion stars league savers

Nice to be back!

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 07:37:55 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum

Magic
Jordan
Bird
Duncan
Russell

So you really think Russell could match up with Shaq, Yao or even Hakeem?  I know he was great in the 60s, and I never saw him so it's hard to argue my case, but he was 6'9", 215 and shot low 40s percentage wise.  I respect your hoops knowledge as much as anyone Roy but I think your love of Celtics history is trumping how he would actually match up against other big guys who probably had more skill that Wilt (who actually put up some pretty sick numbers against Russell by the way).

Can't put up too much of an argument against the rest of your team.  

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 07:39:47 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
Magic
Jordan
Bird
McHale

For me Bird and Magic were difficult to leave off, but I think there are plenty of players they would have difficulty guarding.  Magic was terrible at covering point guards.  Jordan would have to cover the PG and Magic and Larry would be left to cover opposing wing players.  It would be a nightmare for either of them to have to cover Kobe, Lebron, Wade or even a guy like Ray Allen.  My whole team had to have defensive ability.  McHale also used to get smoked by Karl Malone.

Magic deffend everysingle PG in the league as
 much
as Bird in his prime can deffend 4 positions
Magic was as athletic freak as Lebron

I am ok with them there

And what if they win 150 to 149
they will win every game
theyre simply that clutch
no way these lose

Athletism is overrated by this generation, Greg, Brains always  win

P.s. wonder how Lebrons legs run scared facing this 5
jaja

p.s.2. I did it only 1980 to date
I am sure there are wonderfull centers like wilt and Bill that can make me change my mind
but for now i will stick to this 5

p.s.3 malone was somehow a shocker too

I'm sure that team would still kick a lot of butt.  I just know Larry and Magic weren't best known for their defense.

Malone was a shocker?  My assessment of him?

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 07:41:27 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
Magic
Jordan
Bird
McHale

you cant argue with Roy
but you can argue with me for my 123
 :'(
and we have the same players

Pandas never get respect. :'(

and I was talking about Malone on Finals who never make the whole act
Of course Jordan had a lot to do with it
:D
maybe i was increasing the thing too much on him to make my point but you get it

Nice to be back!

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 07:42:31 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
Magic
Jordan
Bird
McHale

Magic wasn't exactly Gary Payton but he wasn't terrible at guarding point guards. They had the hand check rule back then, you need to figure out what set of rules to use. Bird was significantly better on defense than Durant, btw.

I know KJ killed him in 1990 and usually Byron Scott or Cooper had to cover the opposing PG.

I didn't see Larry stop anyone man to man but I also caught him at the end of his career.  I also think Durant is going to get much better.  I could easily live with Larry or Lebron instead of Durant.

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 07:47:01 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Magic
Jordan
Bird
Duncan
Russell

So you really think Russell could match up with Shaq, Yao or even Hakeem?  I know he was great in the 60s, and I never saw him so it's hard to argue my case, but he was 6'9", 215 and shot low 40s percentage wise.  I respect your hoops knowledge as much as anyone Roy but I think your love of Celtics history is trumping how he would actually match up against other big guys who probably had more skill that Wilt (who actually put up some pretty sick numbers against Russell by the way).

Can't put up too much of an argument against the rest of your team.  

When considering guys for all-time teams, I always look to their dominance against their peers, rather than trying to make arguments centered around height, athleticism, etc.  If you gave Russell the advantages modern players have, his athleticism would have been better.  Heck, to go even farther, it's likely that Russell would be taller if born today, as well; the height of the average person has increased about 1.5" since 1960.  Perhaps that's a bridge too far, but it just gets into the difficulties of comparing players of different eras.

Russell's defense was the most dominant skill in perhaps the history of the NBA.  He's also the biggest winner in the history of the sport.  That has to count for something.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 07:48:14 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
Magic
Jordan
Bird
McHale

you cant argue with Roy
but you can argue with me for my 123
 :'(
and we have the same players

Pandas never get respect. :'(

and I was talking about Malone on Finals who never make the whole act
Of course Jordan had a lot to do with it
:D
maybe i was increasing the thing too much on him to make my point but you get it
Sorry I wasn't saying that Edgar!  I said right away that those were the two guys that were hardest to leave off.  Magic is the only Laker I've ever liked when he was still a Laker and Larry is my favorite player ever.  I just think he has guys that match up well with him, like Pippen and Lebron.  I don't think those guys are as bad to match up with Durant.  And I didn't pick those guys because the team I had didn't have a 3 point shooter.  I think Durant could be effective without dominating the ball too.  Larry, Magic and Lebron's playmaking wouldn't be as necessary with guys like Shaq, Jordan and Hakeem.