Author Topic: CB Draft 2011 Pacific Division Press Conferences  (Read 33835 times)

Re: CB Draft 2011 Pacific Division Press Conferences
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 11:38:13 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Who, I love your team, though I'm a little concerned with the lack of a proven PF behind Odom (which could've allowed Odom to play some 3).

Explain to someone like myself, whose knowledge of Markief Morris is limited to 'he exists', why he's ready for rotational minutes on what I think should be a contender.

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 11:38:58 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25611
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Sacramento:

1.  Wes Matthews played very sporadically in the playoffs.  Is he ready for prime time? 

2.  Chauncey's defense fell off a cliff last year (351st in terms of points allowed per possession while with the Knicks).  Was that an aberration, or the start of a real decline?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 11:41:03 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Who, I love your team, though I'm a little concerned with the lack of a proven PF behind Odom (which could've allowed Odom to play some 3).

Explain to someone like myself, whose knowledge of Markief Morris is limited to 'he exists', why he's ready for rotational minutes on what I think should be a contender.

You don't think Ersan 'Turk Nowitzki' Ilyasova can be a viable backup 4 in the NBA?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 11:42:46 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

You don't think Ersan 'Turk Nowitzki' Ilyasova can be a viable backup 4 in the NBA?

For some reason - and I can't quite put my finger on why - people have seemed to sour on E.I, particularly in all CelticsBlog draft threads.

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 11:50:14 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25611
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

For some reason - and I can't quite put my finger on why - people have seemed to sour on E.I, particularly in all CelticsBlog draft threads.

Speaking of which, he's negotiated a three year deal with a Turkish club, and is asking Milwaukee to be let out of his contract:

Ersan Ilyasova has reached an agreement in principle with Turkish club Fenerbahce Ulker. HaberTurk

Ilyasova would sign a three-year contract worth 3.5 million euros. "I'm still under contract with Milwaukee. (...) If they let me go, I will happily sign with Fenerbahçe", said Ilyasova. HaberTurk

Link

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 11:51:24 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Silly, because he's definitely a capable backup 4.

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 11:51:57 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Speaking of which, he's negotiated a three year deal with a Turkish club, and is asking Milwaukee to be let out of his contract:

Ersan Ilyasova has reached an agreement in principle with Turkish club Fenerbahce Ulker. HaberTurk

Ilyasova would sign a three-year contract worth 3.5 million euros. "I'm still under contract with Milwaukee. (...) If they let me go, I will happily sign with Fenerbahçe", said Ilyasova. HaberTurk

Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb2NW3QfonI

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 12:45:59 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Golden State Warriors

Roster:

PG: Stephen Curry
2010-2011 Stats: 18.6 PPG, 3.9 RPG, 5.8 APG, .480 FG%, .442 3PT
Champ’s Take: Amazing scorer who can create his own shot and distribute from the point. Can play SG alongside Miller for stretches.

Andre Miller
2010-2011 Stats: 12.7 PPG, 3.7 RPG, 7.0 APG, .460 FG%, .108 3PT
CT: A steady hand who fills the pure point role and can start or be the first guard off the bench.

Steve Blake
2010-2011 Stats: 4.0 PPG, 2.0 RPG, 2.2 APG, .359 FG%, .378 3PT
CT: A legitimate backup who can run the point.

SG: Sam Young
2010-2011 Stats: 7.3 PPG, 2.4 RPG, 0.9 APG, .472 FG%, .340 3PT
CT: Somehow looks older than Marcus Camby. Started 46 games for MEM in 2010-11 thanks to tough defense, good rebounding, and energetic play. Glue guy.

Rodrigue Beaubois
2010-2011 Stats: 8.4 PPG, 1.9 RPG, 2.3 APG, .422 FG%, .301 3PT
CT: Regressed in 2011 thanks to injuries, but a lightning-fast spark plug guard who can shoot the lights out. Primed to take over Jason Terry’s NBA role down the road while being groomed by…Jason Terry.

SF: Nic Batum
2010-2011 Stats: 12.4 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 1.5 APG, .455 FG%, .345 3PT
CT: A long defender who can shoot. Batum spreads the floor in the half court and can get up/down the court quickly to facilitate the team’s offense.

Corey Brewer
2010-2011 Stats: 8.0 PPG, 2.5 RPG, 1.3 APG, .395 FG%, .268 3PT
CT: Can defend the 2/3 well, even though his 2010-11 season was a waste.

PF: Dirk Nowitzki
2010-2011 Stats: 23.0 PPG, 7.0 RPG, 2.6 APG, .517 FG%, .393 3PT
CT: Finally got his ring, making him light years easier to build an argument for.

Thad Young
2010-2011 Stats: 12.7 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 1.0 APG, .541 FG%, .273 3PT
CT: Excelled as a 6th man at his more natural PF position, but can play the ¾ as a plus athlete and solid defender. Will get time behind Dirk and Batum

Derrick Favors
2010-2011 Stats: 6.8 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 0.5 APG, .517 FG%, 0.9 BPG
CT: A developing talent and late round CB Draft steal. Will play both big man positions but playing time will be hard to come by.

C: Marcus Camby
2010-2011 Stats: 4.7 PPG, 10.3 RPG, 2.1 APG, .398 FG%, .1.6 BPG
CT: Camby’s role is to defend, rebound, and mentor in moderate minutes.

David Lee
2010-2011 Stats: 16.5 PPG, 9.8 RPG, 3.2 APG, .507 FG%, 0.4 BPG
CT: Undersized, but can play center thanks to solid rebounding. Lee and Dirk playing together are a matchup nightmare for opponents. All three GSW centers are solid
passers in the post.

Nikola Pekovic
2010-2011 Stats: 5.5 PPG, 3.0 RPG, 0.4 APG, .517 FG%, 0.5 BPG
CT: Legit size and developing talent. Can score and foul opponents with consistency.

Depth Chart (potential minutes):

PG: Curry(23)/Miller(25)/Blake()
SG: S. Young(18)/Curry(11)/Beaubois(14)/Brewer(5, depending on defense need)
SF: Batum(26)/T. Young(16)/S. Young(4)/Brewer(2)
PF: Nowitzki(33)/Lee(8 )/T. Young(7)/Favors()
C: Camby(20)/Lee(22)/Favors(4)/Pekovic()

In short, the guard rotation is Curry/Young/Miller/Beaubois, and the big man rotation is Dirk/Camby/Lee/Young. This depth will shrink in the playoffs, where guys like Curry and Dirk will have their minutes expanded.

Curry's slide over to SG might come into question. I think he'll be successful as an off-guard, even though he barely recorded any minutes there in GS. That's because 1. the Warriors didn't have a true point like Miller to allow him to slide over and 2. Monta Ellis was already at SG. In a more traditional, but still running, setup, I think he'll be able to handle himself at SG alongside Miller.

Five common lineups:
Curry/S. Young/Batum/Dirk/Camby
Curry/S. Young/Batum/Dirk/Lee
Miller/Curry/T. Young/Dirk/Lee
Curry/Beaubois/Batum/Dirk/Camby
Miller/S. Young/Batum/T.Young/Lee

Again, subject to change. If it turns out we can’t defend anyone in the paint, then Camby’s role expands. If it turns out we need more scoring in the backcourt, then Beaubois eats into Young’s minutes. With a lot of talent, we have the ability to be flexible.

The Bench Clearing Shift: In case of catastrophe, we can roll out a second unit of Miller/Beaubois (or Brewer)/Young/Favors/Lee. I think we’re pretty deep as a result, but I’ve been known to be wrong before.

Team Outlook:

I wanted guys who could run, shoot, and defend. We’re not the strongest defensive team out there, but we can get up and down the court and shoot the lights out – and even if we miss, guys like Camby, Lee, Dirk, and Favors (if he muscles his way into more playing time) should solidly be able to clean up the rebounds. Ideally, I would have recreated this year’s Mavs, but my plan to do that wasn’t getting anyone’s attention in a positive way, so I traded for Steph Curry and David Lee to pump up the offense and now I have to hope that their scoring and athleticism can recreate the winning atmosphere of Dallas’s 2011 team.

Toughest Decision:

Trading down in the 2nd round to pick up a pair of 3rd rounders and a move up from the 8th to the 6th round. I got great value, but I missed the chance to pair up Dirk and Nene, which would have been a great core. The players available at my picks – DeAndre Jordan, Ty Lawson, and Stephen Jackson – were all nice pieces, but it became clear that they weren’t going to have the impact I wanted them to in a 24 team league.

Now, my toughest problem is finding ways to get Lee and Young minutes at PF behind Dirk. If you have any suggestions, let me know!

Best Decision:

Trading Jordan, Lawson, and Jackson for Curry, Lee, and Young. I traded away a pure point and pure center, which are no-nos in the CB Draft given their value, but I got a ton of talent back in return. Curry and Lee are undersized, but each can light it up from the floor and they give this team a huge talent and athleticism infusion. Toss in super 6th man Thad Young, and you’ve got a solid core that can win now and into the future as well.

My outlook:

I think this is a playoff team, even with its flaws. The wings are my biggest weakness, but even there I’m stocked with young players who have proven to be starters on playoff teams and who are only getting better (Young, Beaubois, Batum). Curry/Miller should be a strong tandem in the backcourt, and the frontline rotation of Dirk/Lee/Camby/Young/Favors provides a talented mix of scoring, rebounding, and defense.

I think we’re primed for a deep playoff run, but I’ll be daamned if the Pacific isn’t a shark tank in this league (thanks, random lottery!). I’m sure I have more to say but I can’t think of anything right now and this is already running pretty long. TP to you, the reader, for actually getting through this post, and an extra TP if you were able to read the words “Champ’s Take” and not think “what a ****.” Thanks again for stopping by.

The Golden State Warriors: If we could form a coherent argument, we'd be much better at this game.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 12:51:15 PM by ChampKind »
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 01:16:48 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Phoenix doesn't make much hay out of its winning pedigree, i.e. Kidd, Ginobili, Odom and Bynum have all been top three players on championship winning squads. Is that a significant advantage in the divison? Or only come playoff time?

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2011, 01:20:38 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Phoenix doesn't make much hay out of its winning pedigree, i.e. Kidd, Ginobili, Odom and Bynum have all been top three players on championship winning squads. Is that a significant advantage in the divison? Or only come playoff time?

Can Odom and Bynum both lay claim to being a top 3 player on championship team? Which one are you slighting, Kobe or Pau? ;D

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 01:24:18 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie

Can Odom and Bynum both lay claim to being a top 3 player on championship team? Which one are you slighting, Kobe or Pau? ;D

Neither. I'm giving Ddom the honor for the 2008-09 season and Bynum the honor for the 2009-2010 season. Fair?

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 01:37:30 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Neither. I'm giving Ddom the honor for the 2008-09 season and Bynum the honor for the 2009-2010 season. Fair?

I think you're underselling Odom in 2010, especially against Phoenix. But then again, I really dislike Bynum.

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2011, 01:39:58 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I like the warriors, and I think they're a playoff team, but are they really a deep playoff team?

Dirk & Co over the years have proven that scoring points was never their biggest problem. Their biggest problem was a toughness inside, and while I don't think David Lee is a bad player by any means, I'd rate both Brendan Haywood and Tyson Chandler as better defensive anchors next to Dirk, and better defensive players on the whole.

That's problem 1. Problem 2 is floor spacing. Stephen Curry and Steve Blake have both proven to be capable 3pt shooters, but only one of them can be on the floor at a time.

Meanwhile, Sam Young, Nic Batum, Andre Miller, Roddy Beaubois, and Thad Young are all good players in the right roles, but spot up shooter ain't one of them, and its a role that all of them (maybe sans Miller) should be able to play with the way your offense is looking in context with the rest of your players.

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2011, 01:44:31 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
Golden State is my early favorite to win the division. Champkind has a history of putting together some of CB Draft's deepest teams and consistently drafting BPAs and he's done it here again. Lee (otherwise an NBA starter), Miller (likewise), and Young have to make up one of the better benches. Nowitzki has solidfied his standing among the NBA's best. Curry, Batum, even Beaubois were among the most popular young prospects last summer.

I'd like to hear a slightly longer argument in his favor of Favors as he's a player I have little sense of. But given that he's currently looking at spot minutes only, I guess it's not justified.

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2011, 01:46:05 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I like the warriors, and I think they're a playoff team, but are they really a deep playoff team?

Dirk & Co over the years have proven that scoring points was never their biggest problem. Their biggest problem was a toughness inside, and while I don't think David Lee is a bad player by any means, I'd rate both Brendan Haywood and Tyson Chandler as better defensive anchors next to Dirk, and better defensive players on the whole.

That's problem 1. Problem 2 is floor spacing. Stephen Curry and Steve Blake have both proven to be capable 3pt shooters, but only one of them can be on the floor at a time.

Meanwhile, Sam Young, Nic Batum, Andre Miller, Roddy Beaubois, and Thad Young are all good players in the right roles, but spot up shooter ain't one of them, and its a role that all of them (maybe sans Miller) should be able to play with the way your offense is looking in context with the rest of your players.

EDIT: THe part I didn't include in this is that Marcus Camby has not only been less than healthy for long stretches, he's even hinted at retirement if Portland trades him. I'm not sure 20 mins a night is even going to work with him.