Author Topic: CB Draft 2011 Atlantic Division Press Conferences  (Read 33270 times)

Re: CB Draft 2011 Atlantic Division Press Conferences
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2011, 04:21:56 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all

3.  Is Deron Williams a leader, or just another selfish superstar?  He's traditionally had issues with teammates and his coach.  Is he a great leader, or just a guy who puts up good numbers?

I think the truth is he's probably a little of both.

Some leaders (KG, Ray) are wired that way, others develop into that role over time --- i think of Pierce and how his total game/leadership ability changed from 2004-2008.

What we do know is his teams won -- averaging 50 wins in his 5 full Utah seasons.

What we do know is that Deron makes his teammates better. Almost all dropped 3-6 FG% points by not playing with him. Here are Deron & Post-Deron numbers for a few key guys who left the Jazz recently (ie. last year playing with DWill, the 1st year playing w/o him):

Carlos Boozer
with-Deron -- 20.5 pt/36m, 56.2 FG%
post-Deron -- 19.8 pt/36m, 51.0 FG%

Wes Matthews
with-Deron -- 13.7 pt/36m, 48.3 FG%
post-Deron -- 17.0 pt/36m, 44.9 FG%

Kyle Korver
with-Deron -- 14.1 pt/36m, 49.3 FG%
post-Deron -- 14.9 pt/36m, 43.4 FG%

Ronnie Brewer
with-Deron -- 15.4 pt/36m, 50.8 FG%
post-Deron -- 10.2 pt/36m, 48.0 FG%

Duncan (and Deng for that matter) will be the most positively influential teamates DWilliams has played with since he played with Derek Fisher in his sophmore season.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2011, 04:23:44 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Like last year I’m gonna try to keep it short and to the point.  If you’d like more information please don’t hesitate to ask.

The 6ers:
Anderson Varejao – 9ppg, 9.7rpg, 1.5apg, 1spg, 1.2bpg, 53%FG
He’s a 7 footer with solid rebounding and is defensive-oriented.  Everything you’d want from a center on a championship team.  One of the best help defenders in the league.  He’s strong enough to handle any big-name center one on one, while mobile enough to be a certified PITA if guarding a limited offensive player and allowed to roam the floor.  He’s definitely not afraid to take a charge, and most importantly will HUSTLE his butt off every night, every minute he’s on the floor.  Pefect glue guy.

David West – 19ppg, 7.6rpg, 2.3apg, 1spg, 1bpg, 51%FG
A mobile PF who has a very fundamental game.  He’s not an overly exciting player, but consistent and effective nonetheless.  He can defend and is a solid rebounder, but makes his living by being an explosive scorer.  He gives the team an excellent low post presence but he’s also got a terrific face-up game.  Not only is he an amazing ball handler for his size, but he’s got a very consistent jump shot which extends to just inside the arc.  He’ll do a great job spacing the floor, and will finish any drop-off from Iggy and Wade.

Andre Iguodala – 14ppg, 6.3apg, 5.8rpg, 1.5spg, 45%FG, 34% 3pt
Probably tied for 2nd most athletic player in the league with JSmith.  Also in the top 3 for wing defenders.  Combines extreme speed with extreme strength to give him a mismatch the majority of the time, whether at SG or SF.  The most underrated part of his game is his passing, he’s an above average facilitator.  He’s led his team as a point forward every year he’s been in the league.  Pushing him from franchise player to 2nd best player on the team will do wonders for him I think.  All the attention will be on Wade and West on offense, allowing him to attack the weak spots and increase his already efficient scoring.  Also for the record he’s started 82 games 5 out of his 7 years in the league.

Dwyane Wade – 25.5ppg, 4.6apg, 6.4rpg, 1.8spg, 1bpg, 50%FG, 31% 3pt
What can you say about Wade other than that he’s the 2nd best overall player in the NBA?  A former scoring champ and in the discussion for most efficient in the league.  He’s the best rebounding and shot blocking SG, as well as being a top 5 wing defender.  Despite being one of the quickest and most difficult players to guard, he’s also extremely unselfish and an exceptional facilitator.  He’s proven that he’s willing to sacrifice to win it all.  Last year his assists saw a dip from his usual 6/7apg numbers but that was due to him being a secondary ballhandler behind LeBron.  On this team he’ll go back to his role of primary ballhandler.  He’ll also be more comfortable going back to the clear first option.

Kirk Hinrich – 10.2ppg, 4apg, 2.5rpg, 1spg, 45%FG, 40% 3pt
His role is very clear.  Play defense, and of course, knock down open shots.  He’s an exceptional 3pt shooter off the catch and will absolutely love the looks he gets from Iggy and Wade drawing in the defense, or from David West post-ups.

Kenyon Martin – 8.6ppg, 6.2rpg, 2.3apg, 1spg, .7bpg, 51%FG
Another great glue guy, and I think him + Varejao will form a very mobile and dangerous defense.  He’ll maintain the ball movement and ball spacing when West sits down, while making the defense even stronger.  Solid 6th man.

Toney Douglas – 10.6ppg, 3rpg, 3apg, 1spg, 41%FG, 37% 3pt
Above average backup combo guard.  He’s an amazing defender already (in the Knicks’ disastrous system) and has the potential to get even better.  He’s also shot the 3 very well his 2 years in the league.

Leandro Barbosa – 13.3ppg, 2.1apg, 1.7rpg, 1spg, 45%FG
One the most explosive bench scorers in the league and possibly THE fastest player.  Also capable of getting scorching hot from deep, as he’s a 39% career 3pt shooter, one year shooting 43% while hitting 2 and a half a game.  When he’s on the floor with Wade and Iggy all you’re gonna see is a blur (a Brazilian one to be exact).

Tiago Splitter – 4.6ppg, 3.4rpg, 53%FG
Good all-around player who got limited minutes his rookie year.  However he’s pretty NBA-ready and I think he’ll have a breakout year very soon.  Also he’s won 2 FIBA gold medals with Barbosa.

Matt Bonner – 7.3ppg, 3.6rpg, 1apg, 46%FG, 46% 3pt
Decent overall player who brings some winning and experience to the bench along with KMart.  Led the NBA in 3pt FG percentage this season, and when paired with West, Martin, or Miller will provide a super-spacing lineup for Iggy or Wade to do work.

Josh Childress – 5ppg, 3rpg, 56%FG
Didn’t get many minutes in his return to the US, but is still an extremely efficient player who put up 12ppg, 5rpg, and 1.5apg on 57% shooting his last year in the league.

Reserves:  Brad Miller and Marquis Daniels, both have injury histories, but when healthy are great defenders/passers and solid backups

The Rotation:
Varejao 28 / Splitter 12 / Bonner 8
West 35 / Martin 13
Iguodala 38 / Childress 10
Wade 38 / Barbosa 10
Hinrich 25 / Douglas 18 / Barbosa 5

Basically all my guys are pretty versatile.  Wade, Hinrich, Douglas, and Barbosa can all play both backcourt positions, Iggy and Daniels can play all 3 perimeter positions, and Varejao, Splitter, Bonner, and Miller can all play both F/C.  Wade is basically the PG when Hinrich sits and Douglas/Barbosa come in.  Barbosa will probably see some time with Wade and Iggy for a quick lineup, or Childress for a big lineup depending on matchups.   One of Wade/Andre will probably be on the court at all times.

The Run-down:
If you want a point of reference for my team look at the eastern conference champs.  Despite the worries about Wade and LeBron, two slashing facilitators, they made it all the way to the finals.  Iguodala is basically a mini-LeBron.  He’s as good of a defender, rebounder, and passer, but is a less gifted scorer.  That’s not a problem however since Wade has proven he can be an extremely efficient 30ppg scorer all by himself.  They were one of the top defenses simply because of their strength and speed on the wings.  They switched everything, but their crazy speed allowed them to recover before the offense could do anything; I think Wade, Andre, and Douglas can match that.

David West, in my opinion, is a better 3rd fiddle than Bosh, who has proven he’s better as a 1st option on a bad team.  Scoring, rebounding, and defense is pretty much a wash, but I think West is a better fit with Wade.  Low post play was a weakness for the Heat, and West has a better post-up game + pick and roll game, compared to Bosh who primarily took jump shots or faced up leaving them to rely almost solely on isolation plays.

I fixed all the rest of the Heat’s weaknesses as well:  the bench, consistent defense/shooting at the 1, and size, defense, and rebounding at the 5.  Varejao is a HUGE improvement over Anthony, and 100 times more mobile than Big Z and Damp.  Hinrich is an amazing shooter and defender who is better than Bibby, House, and Arroyo put together (Douglas is a better backup than Chalmers as well).  Last but not least I’ve got an incredibly deep bench stacked with defense and offense at each position, in comparison to the Heat who made it to the Finals with the worst bench in the league.

Basically I took one of the best defenses in the league and improved the defense, while making the offense much more free flowing and well-rounded.  I think I’ve got the best defense in the draft, and I’ve got 3 players who can offensively dominate the game on any night.  If one of them gets hot, I don’t see how you’re gonna stop us.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2011, 04:24:10 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
They each do one thing *really* well and as importantly they understand their role and "stay their lane" as Dave Chappelle puts it:

But with them focusing on just one thing, aren't you a little concerned about your team's ability to score?

I know 'defense wins championship' is a fun cliche, but you have to get some kind of offensive output, and I don't know if you've got enough.

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2011, 04:27:12 PM »

• Rajon Rondo

4.  Who are the other players on the floor when Nick Young is in the game, and what type of offense are you running during those times?

Since he'll log more mins than Meeks we see him playing a lot of his mins with Deng, Williams, Blair and Turiaf.

The latter two will be setting "screens" for Young to run around and off of. I say "screens" because with the Beefy/Meaty combo of Blair and Turiaf they'll be as much full-body-blocks (albeit fully legal  ;) 8) ;D).

Williams will look to find him coming off screens or squaring up, or the open, rolling big men (who both have great hands). Williams and Deng will play some pick and rolls too.

That lineup will also look to run -- sometimes with Wesley Johnson filling in for Deng on the break or Taj playing some mins with this unit.

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2011, 04:28:37 PM »

Offline riah32

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 94
Just curious on what everyones take would be if I were to say use a lineup of

Conley
Rip
Cj miles or Rudy
Durant
SCola or Perk or Joel anthony
Indiana Pacers-Celticsblog Draft Team

« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2011, 04:31:07 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Conley
Rip
Cj miles or Rudy
Durant

Poor. That would be a poor idea.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2011, 04:32:29 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
I would prefer to see Nick Young start at shooting guard instead of Jodie Meeks.

(1) Not a fan of Meeks. He provides nothing outside of floor spacing.
(2) I think that is a great lineup for N.Young to be apart of.

The defensive backbone of Duncan, Taj and Deng will provide great protection for Young. Plus, the passing of Deron Williams will be great for him offensively + that unit needs another scorer given Timmy's decline.

This has come up quite a bit -- keep in mind Young will play 28 mins, to Meeks 20 and likely finish games. The bulk of Young's mins will be played with the other starters.

I'm just a big fan of the Red Auerbach's Celtic tradition of a 6th man and think more coaches should employ it as a strategy, not just having a guy like Big Baby backing up KG.

Manu Ginobili is the last guy who's been used this way consistently and it never hurt the Spurs.

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2011, 04:35:43 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Conley
Rip
Cj miles or Rudy
Durant
I think a situational small line up like that can be useful. Especially with Scola at the 5, an offensive line up like that would be tough to stop.

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2011, 04:38:22 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
They each do one thing *really* well and as importantly they understand their role and "stay their lane" as Dave Chappelle puts it:

But with them focusing on just one thing, aren't you a little concerned about your team's ability to score?

I know 'defense wins championship' is a fun cliche, but you have to get some kind of offensive output, and I don't know if you've got enough.

Sure it is but so is putting out a team that on paper will average 140 points... that just can't happen.

Deron Williams - 21 ppg
Luol Deng - 19 ppg
Nick Young - 17 ppg
Tim Duncan - 12 ppg
Meeks - 11 ppg
Gibson + Blair - 15 ppg

That's 95 ppg between our top 7 guys... It's a balanced attack that if you throw in 5 ppg from the other 2-3 bench guys is scoring 100 points/game with a Tom Thibodeau defense.

the "roles" answer was about their abiliity to start on a championship team. if Meeks or Young couldn't hit an open shot I'd be more worried but with guys like Williams and Deng putting pressure on the defense and one of the best passing bigs ever in Duncan, they're role of stretching the floor is all the more important.

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2011, 04:46:20 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
GC,

My question is who is that guy that plays the KG/Noah role as anchor? Duncan just can't move like those guys can. Also Thibs is very demanding. Rose bought in, but will D-Will? D-Will started getting into it with Sloan, who was also very demanding, at the end there.

Thoughts?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2011, 04:47:25 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
A question to all GMs, to some extent:

As of right now, without hearing all arguments, here's how I see things shaking out:

1.  Philly
2.  New York
3.  New Jersey
4.  Boston

And here's how I see the bottom of the conference preliminarily:

7. New Jersey
8. Orlando
9. Boston

Explain why I'm right / wrong, and if you're Boston, convince me you're better than New Jersey and/or the Magic.

Honeslty I think Philly's achilles heel is Hinrich -- who I've long thought was underrated but looked older last year than he should. His production has gone down quietly in the past 3-4 years and just doesn't have the same speed to be the defender he once was.

I think he'll have a hard time keeping up with the younger Nick Young runnng off screens (assuming PHI moves Wade over to DWill).

Boston is a well-constructed team -- KC and I think a lot a like -- but Turkoglu looked horrible last year again and they have too many young guys and not enough leadership... I don't think Horford can be your alpha-dog and Gordon/Holiday just aren't experienced enough yet. They're a year or three away from getting over the 50 win plateau.

If there are questions about NYK's scoring I think there have to be about NJ's too... very little consistent bench output and Perkins and Rip Hamilton have missed a lot of time with injuries. Durant is an all-world talent but does he make those guys that much better?

I'm biased, but i say:

1. NY
2. PHI
3. BOS (edge over NJ b/c of top-to-bottom talent)
4. NJ

« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2011, 04:52:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25612
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Conley
Rip
Cj miles or Rudy
Durant

I think it would work in small stretches (with Scola at C).  It's nothing I'd like as a regular lineup, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2011, 04:57:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25612
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Honeslty I think Philly's achilles heel is Hinrich -- who I've long thought was underrated but looked older last year than he should. His production has gone down quietly in the past 3-4 years and just doesn't have the same speed to be the defender he once was.

Hinrich is an ideal point guard next to Wade, though, I think.  I disagree that he's lost a step on defense; I think he's still very good there.  In terms of production, he's like a rich man's Derek Fisher, in my eyes.  He's an elite shooter, who also can handle the ball and who can set up the offense.

He's played very well next to ball-dominant guards (Joe Johnson, John Wall, Derrick Rose).  A defensive-minded PG who can pass and shoot, who gets under opposing teams' skin, and who accepts his role enthusiastically?  I couldn't think of a better fit next to Wade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2011, 04:58:54 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2423

Conley
Rip
Cj miles or Rudy
Durant
I think Rip Hamilton will have a very difficult time in a lineup like that. Tough for a guy like him to operate when there aren't enough screens to run off of. We've all seen what has happened to his scoring efficiency when he asked to create off the dribble. He's just not that type of player.

Both CJ Miles and Rudy Fernandez are best off at SG. They don't have the versatility to really play the SF position well enough.

I think the Durant at PF alongside either Scola, Perk or J.Anthony is a nice idea that could be used now and again to create an advantage ... but I'm not sure your squad has the wings to really make it work.

« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2011, 05:05:10 PM »

Offline riah32

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 94

Conley
Rip
Cj miles or Rudy
Durant

I think it would work in small stretches (with Scola at C).  It's nothing I'd like as a regular lineup, though.

I agree with you Roy it would only be situational, what I would pry do is shift scola to the 5 and put charlie v in at the 4 to space the floor.
Indiana Pacers-Celticsblog Draft Team