Author Topic: Jar of Hearts - best video ever made?  (Read 14149 times)

Re: Jar of Hearts - best video ever made?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 09:25:22 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
This song should have been called "Bag of Ds" instead. Worst popular song of the new millennium. This sums up my feelings thusly.

http://www.anchorofgold.com/2011/4/1/2079955/schadenfreude-fridays-the-worst-song-in-the-world

That was hilarious. I will read your blog on Fridays.

Ho ho ho ho ho ho-ly [crap]. Did anyone else just get a spontaneous nosebleed from reading that? "Jar of hearts?" "Tearing love apart?" [Frack] you, Christina Perri.

That got audible laughter.

Thanks for the kind words. I haven't done a good one in about a month now, but Schadenfreude Fridays are definitely my favorite thing to write. I recommend our failed soft drinks review if you're bored and looking for something to read.

This song should have been called "Bag of Ds" instead. Worst popular song of the new millennium. This sums up my feelings thusly.

http://www.anchorofgold.com/2011/4/1/2079955/schadenfreude-fridays-the-worst-song-in-the-world
The guy who wrote this didn't catch that it's not a break up song.  It's a loser-wants-her-back-but-she-probably-has-a-real-man-now song

Which is not to say his analysis isn't funny in his own way.   

My problem isn't that it's a relationship song, it's that it's the Jay Leno monologue of relationship songs (though, for an empowered woman, she seems to whine a lot about the relationship itself - put the light back in my eyes, you broke your promises, etc). It sounds like it's written by an 8th grader and has all the subtlety of a lower back tattoo. There's no originality there, no effort to actually make Perri's garbled anger an actual song - just crappy lines shoehorned into a lazy lyrical setup and bleated out over four droning minutes.

It lacks any sense of self-awareness or irony. It does terrible, unoriginal things with the English language ("anywhere to be found," rhyming "back" with "back," and the unforgivable "catch a cold from the ice inside your soul") and doesn't have the musical chops to back that up. It's lazy and uninspired.

The song's tacky, and I say this as a man who thinks Bad Romance may be the greatest song of our generation (Caaaaaaught in a Bad Ro-MANCE). It's teenage angst in its lowest common denominator. Even Avril Lavigne looked at this and was like "daamn, that's lazy." Perri's lyrics are so far up their own butt that the song can't even venture into so-bad-its-good territory. Her inability to grasp basic metaphors and original imagery is almost insulting.

Ok, rant over. That song is terrible, but different strokes for different folks. For the record, both "You Oughta Know" and "I Will Survive" are staples on my iPod, along with Duran Duran's "Wild Boys," The Roots "The Seed 2.0," and the Toadies "Tyler" - so I run a wide gambit of misogyny and woman hating. Though, if Jar of Hearts were sung by a man, I would be equally embarrassed for the person taking writing credits. It's just a really, really bad song.

I completely agree Bad Romance is a phenomenal song, but I can also tell you going to another language to rhyme is a far lazier thing than anything Perri did. Avril Lavigne is just jealous. It reminds me how a lot of artists didn't like the Delilah song...because it was so simple they wish they'd done it.

Second it doesn't need to be subtle. Dido's white flag is subtle because it's a far more complicated message.

That song was waaayy better than that evanescence song, which was fine.   But she doesn't need subtlety. It's simple. Get away from me loser. You got a lot of guts coming back here. Not gonna happen. And I would argue it is somewhat subtle cause you can't really tell what happened in the relationship.

Is You oughta know subtle? Is I will survive subtle? Genius lyrics there? Well You Oughta know is pretty genius. I will survive is just really good.

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 09:45:07 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 06:16:46 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
http://www.youtube.com/v/NwrL9MV6jSk?version=3&hl=en_US

best vid ever

TP for the memories  ::)

I have to disagree, though. Best vid ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgYqIvnPvqQ

And about Jar of Hearts... personally, I don't like the song, or the artistic concept of the video, but I wouldn't be so harsh, I have a lot of respect for people who earn their money out of creation, even if it's an standarized product like this. You can see they are achieving their goal when people identify their real life's troubles with what they're hearing. Like it or not, that's success.

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 06:17:22 AM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Can someone please post a link so these guys can download some nads?

Seriously......

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 09:27:12 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Ho ho ho ho ho ho-ly [crap]. Did anyone else just get a spontaneous nosebleed from reading that? "Jar of hearts?" "Tearing love apart?" [Frack] you, Christina Perri.

Thanks for the kind words. I haven't done a good one in about a month now, but Schadenfreude Fridays are definitely my favorite thing to write. I recommend our failed soft drinks review if you're bored and looking for something to read.

The guy who wrote this didn't catch that it's not a break up song.  It's a loser-wants-her-back-but-she-probably-has-a-real-man-now song

My problem isn't that it's a relationship song, it's that it's the Jay Leno monologue of relationship songs (though, for an empowered woman, she seems to whine a lot about the relationship itself - put the light back in my eyes, you broke your promises, etc). It sounds like it's written by an 8th grader and has all the subtlety of a lower back tattoo. There's no originality there, no effort to actually make Perri's garbled anger an actual song - just crappy lines shoehorned into a lazy lyrical setup and bleated out over four droning minutes.

It lacks any sense of self-awareness or irony. It does terrible, unoriginal things with the English language ("anywhere to be found," rhyming "back" with "back," and the unforgivable "catch a cold from the ice inside your soul") and doesn't have the musical chops to back that up. It's lazy and uninspired.

The song's tacky, and I say this as a man who thinks Bad Romance may be the greatest song of our generation (Caaaaaaught in a Bad Ro-MANCE). It's teenage angst in its lowest common denominator. Even Avril Lavigne looked at this and was like "daamn, that's lazy." Perri's lyrics are so far up their own butt that the song can't even venture into so-bad-its-good territory. Her inability to grasp basic metaphors and original imagery is almost insulting.

Ok, rant over. That song is terrible, but different strokes for different folks. For the record, both "You Oughta Know" and "I Will Survive" are staples on my iPod, along with Duran Duran's "Wild Boys," The Roots "The Seed 2.0," and the Toadies "Tyler" - so I run a wide gambit of misogyny and woman hating. Though, if Jar of Hearts were sung by a man, I would be equally embarrassed for the person taking writing credits. It's just a really, really bad song.

Was watching Hard Day's Night....NOW THAT is the best music video ever and basically the first, but in terms of rhyming back with back the Beatles rhymed do with do in I should have known better and rhymed girl with girl and love with love in Please please me

It happens

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 09:50:08 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Is it just me or is this really one of the only guy break up songs. Awesome video. Pretty good song. There. I said it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DksSPZTZES0

I'm partial to "Forget You", and "Rich Girl". There are others, I'm sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ePSJ44Fiw

Did you guys say Breakup Song?

Wow.  Never knew Greg Kihn did anything else beside "Jeopardy".

BTW, I think Roy Orbison cornered the market on the break up song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMc263klrMQ
Yup

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.

Was watching Hard Day's Night....NOW THAT is the best music video ever and basically the first, but in terms of rhyming back with back the Beatles rhymed do with do in I should have known better and rhymed girl with girl and love with love in Please please me

It happens

Alright, well first off, you just compared Christina Perri to the Beatles, so it took me a few months just to piece back together the parts of my exploded head so I could write out a proper response.

Secondly, the Beatles also dropped a ton of acid and incorporated the sitar into their music. And it worked. Just because the Beatles can do it doesn't mean that anyone else can...or should.

Third, let's take a look at those rhyme schemes you mentioned in Please Please Me:

Last night I said these words to my girl
I know you never even try, girl

You don't need me to show the way, love
Why do I always have to say, “love”?

It's an acceptable rhyming tactic to repeat the same word in lyrical verse if the word before it rhymes. It happens quite often in music. Compare the flow between "my girl/try girl" to that of "you're back/me back" If you are rhyming the same word with itself without that preceding rhyme, it's sloppy and jarring to listen to. Perri doesn't include a rhyme anywhere in "Now you're back - you don't get to get me back."

Finally, I mentioned that you can take risks like that when you have the musical background to pull it off. It fits with the Beatles because they were pioneering a revolutionary sound that had the beat, ambient flow, and diversity to mask any deficiency in their lyrics. That approach helped them get away with plenty of silly stuff without losing their appeal. Hell, they even let Ringo sing a few songs thanks to that goodwill.

Ms. Perri doesn't have that goodwill. She's droning over a sad piano and some sad violins that place all the emphasis right on her lyrics. The musical composition of her song makes her voice and her words 90% of the song, and if you're going to do that, you better have some poetry loaded up.

But like I said, different strokes for different strokes. I have a lot of stuff on my ipod that I'm sure no one would consider good music. Ms. Perri targeted her song and her appeal to a very specific audience, and in that respect, she nailed it. I'm just not part of that audience, so I don't have much of an appreciation for it.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 03:54:21 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
That's very interesting. I'll bet back to you in 2015

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 04:08:06 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I wonder if this is how college friends talked about music in the 1800's.

Champkind, my dearest friend,

The campaign here goes well, or as well as anything can go in this god-forsaken hell hole. While we continuously push the rebels back without consequence, the malaria and heat exhaustion are taking our men two for their every one. Its like the very land has turned against me.

Anyways, what's up with Carly Rae Jespen? I mean, I guess i could see how 'Call me Maybe' is catchy, but with the fervor people reference it and ironically proclaim their love for it, I'm starting to call shenanigans.

I think there must be some kind of term made up for it.

It starts with a song that is so tacky and uncreative that people who think they're smarter than other people 'pretend' to like it.

Normally this would fade, but because of the sarcastic tone of the modern hipster movement, they didn't back off of pretending to like the song, which allowed a vacuum in which people who actually did like the song were allowed to play it in bars and at parties without being mocked.

And that little bit of unpunished terrible taste has allowed Call me maybe to be like a 'thing'. And the thing that really grinds my gears about the whole ordeal is that if a few jokers with fingerstache tattoos had just manned up and made the proper jokes at the proper time, establishing the dynamic, it would never have happened.

However, I thought the cookie monster parody was awesome.

Signed,
IP

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 04:12:15 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
That's very interesting. I'll bet back to you in 2015

Haha, I look forward to it.  ;)
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 08:57:09 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
From the whitey dat never lets things go
I thought I would appear to let you know
I studied some lyrics to make my knowledge grow
And now the things I heard I will you show

That on rhyming words with words the Notorius BIG
did this repeatedly

when he rhymed us with us and piece with piece and NY with NY

but the man can be forgiven
for in his lyrics were also written

that he rhymed escargot with my car go
and broad with menage a trois
and call me round ten with rugs Persian

which is lyrical genius and now I think you feel dis....witches...

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 10:54:33 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Wow...I've heard this Jar of Hearts song on the radio many, many a time but It's not my type of song so I've never really paid that much attention to the words (nor seen the video).

Now that I have, that really is bad.  The lyrics truly are horrendous, and the video clip is just horribly cliche.

It's supposed to be an emotional song, and yet neither her face nor her voice shows any emotion - she just looks dead.  The really dodgy looking CGI looks highly amateur (e.g. the Jar with a Heart in it, as mentioned earlier). 

The group of girls who gradually start dancing behind her is no only horridly cliche (it's like Michael Jackson's Thriller minus the originalilty) but also tacky and completely out of place.  Her and all of the other 'dancers' look like zombies.

Then the part at the end - she said a couple of words to the guy and he just falls down and dies.  Really? 

The guy grabbing at all of these girls is interesting for all of about 30 seconds, after which it just gets horribly repetitive and utterly pointless.

This looks like it got pulled straight out of Twighlight, minus the zombies (although the singer and dancers may qualify). 

The bad lyrics that were mentioned in that 'critique', while tacky, don't actually sound as bad on paper as they do when you actually hear them.  As described, the nature of the song only puts emphasis on those words, and the serious tone of the song only serves to make them sound 10x more rediculous than they do when you just read them on paper.

I do agree that the Rhianna / Eminem song is a far better application of an "emotionally unstable relationship song".

Also when it comes to the "worst song" argument I have to introduce another challenger.  Yes, it's another Beyonce song - "Single Ladies"!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m1EFMoRFvY

I know it isn't a relationship song, but it's just SO BAD.

1. It is unbearably repetitive

2. It's an utterly cliche "woman power" song

3. The outfits she wears in the video do her no favours.  Beyonce had a reputation as being a very sexy woman, but these skimpy short outfits only emphasis the jiggling of her thighs.  One single song that instantly turned me off her.

4. What on earth is the point of the fake obotic hand?  I don't understand how this in any way relates to the song, the video, or anything.  It's like she some sponsor provided her with it and her agent told her she just had to use it somewhere in her video in order to keep their cash flowing in.

Horrible, horrible song.   

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 11:00:41 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
P.s. Just for the record I am not one of those guys who criticises woman who aren't super-slim, not by any means.  I'm just a huge advocate of dressing to suit your body.

I don't know if there is a single person on this earth who could pull off that outfit without looking...terrible.

There is sexy, and then there is just plain trashy.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 11:11:33 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 11:11:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v_4O44sfjM

A modern dance interpretation of relationship abuse.   Multiple symptoms present such as violence, codependence, the women coming back for more, guilt, cheating.

In the end she has to be strong enough to remove him which destroys his power and "kills" him.

I think this video makes a lot of other very very good videos look absolutely junior varsity.

I don't agree... I found it boring, cliche and pretentious.  I spent most of the video thinking it sounded exactly like Beyonce's song "Halo"  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXNQgdvtxmc

Methinks you have a crush on the gal.  Video isn't bad... I couldn't get through it, though.  Someone made something similar to this in a 48 hour film festival I recently entered.  It elicited unintentional laughter from the audience.  It kind of misses the mark. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 11:18:51 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 11:13:05 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Wow, it really does sound just like "Halo", nice find!

Subconsciously I could have sworn it sounded just like something else, but I couldn't think of what.

:)