Author Topic: Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Pt.2  (Read 11633 times)

Re: Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Pt.2
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2011, 09:29:41 PM »

Offline samantha28

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 156
I have read all of the books multiple times, if not ten times each. For those of you who don't read the books, do you find it difficult to keep up? I would be so confused had I not read the books. I went to the midnight premiere in Chestnut Hill though, and my friends who had not read the books had to ask me at least four questions about the movie/storyline.

I loved the movie, and I am not usually a fan of the movie adaptations at all.  I don't know if it was a combo of the midnight premiere and this being the end, but I just thought it was well done.

For any of you who've not read Harry Potter, I urge you to read them now. To me, the books seem much less dark, and I imagine them as completely separate from the movies. I am a very quick reader and most of the books took me a few hours to read, but I can't imagine them taking anyone a long time to read because they are so enjoyable and such an easy read. I am fluent in French, and for any of those of you who are familiar with French may find it interesting to analyze the names and some of the words used throughout the book (Voldemort = vol de mort, stole from death).

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2011, 11:52:55 PM »

Offline stylo617617

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
i was kind of hoping to see voldemort have one last epic speech before his death ,his death made it seem like voldemort wasnt that powerful to begin with especially with the elder wand not being to his alliegance like he thought

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 12:20:14 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Bahku... wasn't lumping you in with the "raving fanbase" and I didn't mean it like "raving lunatics".  I type to fast and sometimes don't pay attention to what I'm typing.  Lol... All I was referring to was the fans that are giving this movie rave reviews... somehow came out "raving fans" instead of "the fans who are hyping this movie as amazing".   I suspect that you (and those fans) have more context to the story than I do, because you've read the books.  I can only go off the movies... and as a movie I didn't think it was excellent or even the best of the series.  

It actually dawned during the final scene when they played a little bit of the familiar theme song...  "oh yeah... I remember when this series reminded me of Christmas time"... I imagine that pavlovian reaction to Harry Potter would only be limited to folks who only are familiar with seeing the movies.  Kinda interesting.

Ah, the internet ... the perfected tool for misunderstanding. Seemed a bit unlike you, Bud ... glad we're cool. I completely understand where you're coming from, as I've found myself in similar situations with other movies/books/series that seemed to morph over the years in favor, (it seemed), of a wider target audience, and (seemingly, again) forsaking the sensibilities that endeared me to the ealier ones.

I think TV in general has done that, as there are very few "new" shows that I care to watch, and usually when I do, I'm disappointed. I usually confine myself to The Science Channel, Animal Planet, Nick At Night, Hallmark, AMC, TCM, the movie channels, and the like, just because I'm sick of sex-saturated television and shows that make murder a callous, mundane topic and something to joke about.

Anyway, this is definitely a series of movies that are much more worthwhile if one has read the books first, and are not as easily adapted to standing on their own as say the Star Wars and Star Trek series are. I think The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings series is much richer in content if the books are read first as well, but even those movies can stand alone better than Harry Potter.

There is so much more detail in almost any book, (as compared to the movies), and I enjoy reading more than I do movies, (which is saying something, lol). It would have served this series much more if they could have made two movies from each book, (and there is enough missing material to do so), but time and the ageing actors prohibited them from doing so, unfortunately, and much had to be left out.

I think a lot of that missing info may be what leaves you feeling a bit ambivalent toward the movies, and that's really an unfair advantage that we have as those who have read all of the books, (myself six times, in anticipation of each premiere). Much of the success of this series has had to do with Rowling's writing style, and while she is not the hard-edged kind of writer that I generally gravitate to, she has a gift for making the reader feel welcome to be invited to her world of magic, and a rare talent for making reading fun and enjoyable for every age, something which is very hard to do for even the most prolific of authors.

It's those things that don't always translate to the movies, though I think each director did the best job they could, and succeeded more than they failed. It's a definite advantage when watching the movies, and I honestly can't say whether or not I might feel exactly the same way you do, if I had not been given that literary "leg-up". ;)

** And back atcha, Twinbree! **

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:07:24 AM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 09:13:25 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I never read the books, and the only movie I've seen in its entirety is the first one.  Something about the announcer at the broomstick game bugged me just enough to not care about it.

Still, I feel like I should bookend the experience and go see the last one.  Even if I don't get the nuances of the history, I know the basics and by all accounts it's a good movie for reasons other than it simply being the last one.
Yeah that kid is like nails on a chalkboard to me.
Was it as bad as Jar Jar?

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2011, 09:22:56 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Clearly the best kid's franchise ever.  I don't know if I would call anything that has generated well over a billion dollars "cult".

Hard to say if it was for adults more than kids.  I actually do think there are some things that appeal more to adults, at least in a movie, such as the parents theme, the mentoring themes, the going to war themes, and the school.   Most young kids perhaps can't identify with going away to an elite school, but parents can.

I'm totally going to use Hogwarts as a metaphor for college with my kid.

I loved since the first movie the way Hogwarts itself was quite often a star of the show, and it was at the end too.

I loved the multiple tip offs to prior scifi/fantasy films. I particularly saw the parallels with Star Wars and Lord of the RIngs.

I loved that major characters were killed....in a kids film.

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2011, 10:12:03 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't know if I would call anything that has generated well over a billion dollars "cult".
A succesful cult then  ;).

Definitely a mainstream hit, I do think it was mostly for kids and teenagers. The PoV of the movie was always from the kids with adults messing things up and not telling them everything. Boarding school might not be relevant for most American kids, but what went on in the school certainly would be familar.