Author Topic: Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Pt.2  (Read 11653 times)

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Pt.2
« on: July 15, 2011, 07:18:38 PM »

Offline stylo617617

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
just saw the film .it was AMAZING ! for those who havent seen it or & espeically havent read the books i advise to turn away

thoughts on the last film ? favorite scene? etc.

Re: Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Pt.2
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 08:01:54 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
Was at the midnight IMAX showing, all 20 auditoriums in the movie theatre were sold out of course. When everyone got out after it ended, i've never seen so many teary eyed people in my life.

I LOVE the series, but that one was BY FAR the best of the movies. With the Oscars having 10 nominees now, i would not be surprised in the least to see it get a best picture nomination, and [dang] was The Princes Tale well done. Rickman better get his freakin supporting actor nomination this time.

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 08:59:21 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Was at the midnight IMAX showing, all 20 auditoriums in the movie theatre were sold out of course. When everyone got out after it ended, i've never seen so many teary eyed people in my life.

I LOVE the series, but that one was BY FAR the best of the movies. With the Oscars having 10 nominees now, i would not be surprised in the least to see it get a best picture nomination, and [dang] was The Princes Tale well done. Rickman better get his freakin supporting actor nomination this time.

rickman must have died or something..

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 09:13:02 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Haven't seen either yet.  Please tell me they're better than the 6th, that one was horrible and went too far away from the book.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 10:02:07 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
Haven't seen either yet.  Please tell me they're better than the 6th, that one was horrible and went too far away from the book.

Absolutely, this is a legitimate great movie. I honestly think it deserves Oscar consideration, as do quite a few critics. Here's the review count from Rotten Tomatoes, and the critic consensus.

Average Rating: 8.4/10
Reviews Counted: 211
Fresh: 205 | Rotten: 6

Thrilling, powerfully acted, and visually dazzling, Deathly Hallows Part II brings the Harry Potter franchise to a satisfying -- and suitably magical -- conclusion.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/harry_potter_and_the_deathly_hallows_part_2/

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 11:06:11 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Went to the midnight premiere at IMAX 3D last night with my daughter ... got the tickets a while ago and it's been sold out for some time. For such an incredibly scrutinized and critiqued series, (involving four different directors), it was wrapped up in a way that was as emotional, intense, and pleasing as it could possibly have been, and even had a surprise or two, (which, knowing the books extremely well, were things I wasn't expecting).

There wasn't a dry eye in the house, seriously ... and there were a few times when the entire audience burst out with raucous applause. I am a self-admitted (closet) Harry Potter freak, and for me, this was easily the best movie in the entire series, and I can't go see it again soon enough. I recommend it highly for anyone who has followed the series with even a senmlblance of attention, and for those who, like me, can not get enough HP stuff, you will not be disappointed.

Oscar nominations galore. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 11:29:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This film should receive several Oscar nods for special effects but I think most importantly, the screenplay adaptation from the book, Alan Rickman for supporting actor and the film as best film should get nods.

Rickman as Snape was superb.

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 11:37:14 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I never read the books, and the only movie I've seen in its entirety is the first one.  Something about the announcer at the broomstick game bugged me just enough to not care about it.

Still, I feel like I should bookend the experience and go see the last one.  Even if I don't get the nuances of the history, I know the basics and by all accounts it's a good movie for reasons other than it simply being the last one.
Yup

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 11:44:45 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
This film should receive several Oscar nods for special effects but I think most importantly, the screenplay adaptation from the book, Alan Rickman for supporting actor and the film as best film should get nods.

Rickman as Snape was superb.

Absolutely ... Rickman is amazing anyway, and perfect as Snape. In close analysis, Rickman's character is actually more crucial to this series than anyone except Harry and Voldemort, (even Dumbledore), and this film really shows that clearly, and ties everything together. To walk the fine line he did and do it so convincingly, was true artistry. Best Supporting Actor nod fer sher. Great cast, and they got almost everyone back from all the other movies ... an unusual thing today.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 11:58:55 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Everything from the acting to shooting is quite superb. Voldemort and Bellatrix Lestrange are, in particular, well-acted parts. But really, there was not a single casting that I thought didn't work.

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 01:15:47 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I never read the books, and the only movie I've seen in its entirety is the first one.  Something about the announcer at the broomstick game bugged me just enough to not care about it.

Still, I feel like I should bookend the experience and go see the last one.  Even if I don't get the nuances of the history, I know the basics and by all accounts it's a good movie for reasons other than it simply being the last one.
Yeah that kid is like nails on a chalkboard to me.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 03:44:20 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 set a new midnight opening record at $43.5 million ... that's for the midnight screening only. Can't wait to see what the weekend totals will be.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 01:45:04 AM »

Offline mzepol

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
$169M. New record.

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 02:20:52 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
$169M. New record.

Wow ... TP for that, Mzepol! More than many movies make in their entire run ... amazing. And this one will be up for some Oscars as well ... going to see it again with my Sis tomorrow, (her first time).

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 03:22:27 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
ive never read the books, but I've seen all the movies.  I kind of felt like the last few movies were dark, slow, dreary, boring and depressing.  Didn't mind them, but I didn't feel the need to see them a second time.  

Saw the last one on Friday.  Wasn't thrilled with it.  Kinda bored by it.  Still felt it was dark, dreary and kinda depressing.  It was nice to wrap it up and finally see Voldermort vs Harry, but I felt the final sequence was a little odd and anti-climactic.   It got great reviews, but I'm not really sure why.  Pretty overrated if you ask me.  In general I wasn't impressed.

The thing is... I actually did enjoy the first few movies.  I'm not sure at what point the series turned into the "dark" territory, but I'm not really a fan of it.  I think Harry Potter was far more appealing when the characters were kids, everything was full of magic and wonder, people weren't dying all over the place and it just had a fun whimsical christmas feel to it.  I blame the writing... trying to make it "mature" for her audience as they grew up.  Personally I think the "boarding school for British Wizards"  worked a heck of a lot better as a fun children's movie than as uber-serious drama.

I think if you find someone who has never seen the previous movies, give them a short explanation of the character's backstory and then make them watch the final movie... they would think the movie was pretty weak.  I think the great ratings are based on everyone's attachment to the characters.

Maybe I'm in the minority.  Those raving about how great it was... maybe step back from it for a second and ask yourself whether you had more fun seeing the kids going on adventures, entering quidditch matches, learning magic, eating chocolate frogs and sneaking around the school.... or if you had more fun watching the school blow up, Harry brooding around and a bunch of wizards killing each other?  Meh    

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 03:28:47 AM by LarBrd33 »