Author Topic: D. Howard/Celtic Possibilities  (Read 2698 times)

D. Howard/Celtic Possibilities
« on: July 13, 2011, 09:55:42 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Did not see this posted yet, so here it is.  If I missed it, sorry for the double post.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/296173-celtics-now-free-to-dream-about-howard?eref=fromSI
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Re: D. Howard/Celtic Possibilities
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 10:23:17 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I dont see how that makes any sense whatsoever...

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 10:38:51 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

It makes sense, though it's not a particularly compelling argument.

Basically, if there isn't a season due to an extended lockout, Orlando might not have enough time to trade Dwight Howard before he becomes a free agent.

Since the Celtics do not have enough for a trade package, their only hope of acquiring DH12 is if he becomes a free agent.

However, the "article" fails to note that among Howard's many potential free agency suitors, the Celtics are probably not near the top in terms of the situation they can offer him both on and off the court.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 02:41:10 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

It makes sense, though it's not a particularly compelling argument.

Basically, if there isn't a season due to an extended lockout, Orlando might not have enough time to trade Dwight Howard before he becomes a free agent.

Since the Celtics do not have enough for a trade package, their only hope of acquiring DH12 is if he becomes a free agent.

However, the "article" fails to note that among Howard's many potential free agency suitors, the Celtics are probably not near the top in terms of the situation they can offer him both on and off the court.
I think that depends on what comes out of the CBA.  If the league comes in with a hard cap that also eliminates the cap holds currently 'required' for a soft cap like the current CBA, Boston could indeed offer a decent landing place for Dwight.  Rondo, PP, Bradley, Johnson (assume rookie rights still apply) with likely ability to resign KG and Ray (at hopefully vet min rates for one last shot at a title) if not Green and/or BBD in addition to them (depends on how a team's FAs are allowed to resign) presents a pretty good team for him to join.  (JO and Delonte may also be in the mix for resigning at cheap deals)

There's definitely some big unknowns that would impact this scenario but too much money will still be tied up with the Lakers, Chicago, Miami, OKC and NY to offer Dwight a reasonable salary for a contending team.  Other teams don't offer the same chance to be competive.  Granted, that competive window changes when KG and Ray retire as well as PP shortly there after but the team would still have him and Rondo (possibly Green and maybe Johnson will be a starting-quality PF).  Danny will still have some cap flexibility at that point so who knows what could happen.

Personally I don't see Dwight coming to the C's but I didn't see the Ray or KG deals happening either.

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 03:04:35 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Well just look at the Melo deal.  DEN had no choice but to trade him to NYK for maximum return.  If they traded him as a rental to say DAL the return package would be much less.

I don't see how this is any different for Howard.  The other team is only going to offer the best deal if Dwight agrees to an extension there.  Basically Dwight is going to end up where he wants to end up.  It might not be a straight path (ie he could be traded as a rental), but he will get there.

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 03:10:55 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Well just look at the Melo deal.  DEN had no choice but to trade him to NYK for maximum return.  If they traded him as a rental to say DAL the return package would be much less.

I don't see how this is any different for Howard.  The other team is only going to offer the best deal if Dwight agrees to an extension there.  Basically Dwight is going to end up where he wants to end up.  It might not be a straight path (ie he could be traded as a rental), but he will get there.

True.  The only way the C's get Howard, realistically, is if he says to the Magic, "I don't want to play anywhere except for Boston."  As he hasn't made any indications that he has a desire to play in Boston at all, let alone that the Celtics are his first choice, I'm not gonna hold my breath on that one.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 11:01:25 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
he may not have said that he wants to play in boston, but realistically if he makes it to Free agency, hes looking at teams who can give him 2 things

1. A max Contract
2. a chance to win titles

theres a limited few teams that have enough cap space to offer him a max contract, and even fewer who can offer him a chance to win. IF he makes it to free agency I like the C's chances...we can certainly offer him more pieces to win than the Nets..you can be sure that Danny is going to go after him hard.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 11:30:03 PM by cman88 »

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 11:08:51 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
young buck would love to run with the living legends...