Author Topic: Jeter to miss all star game for "exhaustion"  (Read 27730 times)

Re: Jeter to miss all star game for "exhaustion"
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 02:01:16 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
No offense or anything, but nobody really cares how many hours people you know work to support their families.  If that's what they need to do for themselves and their family then they do it.

Unlike the NBA ASG which has fines and team penalties, the MLB ASG is optional as is the NFL Pro Bowl.  So the players are given a choice.  Jeter doens't have to attend the ASG if he doesn't want to, period.  See the difference?

Didn't a guy named Tom Brady skip out on the Pro Bowl, and maybe even more than once.  I think it's been a recent trend for Pro Bowl selected Super Bowl participants to skip the game.    

Exactly and I haven't seen people get upset about that one.   Unlike the NFL, this all star game takes place in the middle of the regular season.  If he wants a few days away from the game, I have no qualms about it.
According to wiki he never skipped a Pro Bowl, and certainly he didn't come out and say "Oh I am jusssttt too tired"

He withdrew from the 2008 Pro Bowl after being whipped around like a doll the week before by Michael Strahan and Justin Tuck.  Maybe if Jeter takes some hits like that I wouldn't mind as much.

He also declined an injury replacement invitation in 2006. 

Not even close to the same thing. 

But comparing Jeter to a single mom is?  Ummm...okay.  ???

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2011, 02:04:39 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
No offense or anything, but nobody really cares how many hours people you know work to support their families.  If that's what they need to do for themselves and their family then they do it.

Unlike the NBA ASG which has fines and team penalties, the MLB ASG is optional as is the NFL Pro Bowl.  So the players are given a choice.  Jeter doens't have to attend the ASG if he doesn't want to, period.  See the difference?

Didn't a guy named Tom Brady skip out on the Pro Bowl, and maybe even more than once.  I think it's been a recent trend for Pro Bowl selected Super Bowl participants to skip the game.    

Exactly and I haven't seen people get upset about that one.   Unlike the NFL, this all star game takes place in the middle of the regular season.  If he wants a few days away from the game, I have no qualms about it.
According to wiki he never skipped a Pro Bowl, and certainly he didn't come out and say "Oh I am jusssttt too tired"

He withdrew from the 2008 Pro Bowl after being whipped around like a doll the week before by Michael Strahan and Justin Tuck.  Maybe if Jeter takes some hits like that I wouldn't mind as much.

He also declined an injury replacement invitation in 2006. 

Not even close to the same thing. 

But comparing Jeter to a single mom is?  Ummm...okay.  ???
Well I certainly owe an apology to the single mom.

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2011, 02:07:40 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110708&content_id=21592018&vkey=allstar2011

Jeter said that he is concerned about re-injuring his right calf, which cost him three weeks and delayed his pursuit of 3,000 hits.

Considering the guy just came back from injury it's likely he's not 100% yet, but healthly enough to play in meaningful games.  Can't see how you can fault him for his decision not to attend the ASG.  

BTW - He's not even deserving of the ASG this year so better off giving the slot to somebody who is.
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=6759466

This is what I read, although it's according to an anonymous source, not Jeter, and I think all anonymous sources are made up.

If he says he's concerned about getting reinjured and therefore can't be bothered to go after his 3000th hit, then I'm fine with that.

Apparently Pujols isn't going either.

But I'm not cool with this whole stars skipping all star games because they stubbed their toe thing that they seem to be doing these days

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2011, 02:36:09 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
Pretty ridiculous in a sport where you spend 95% of the time either sitting or standing around. 

I love baseball, but let's face it, it's barely more of a sport than golf. 

I agree. It's not like baseball players have to be in pro athelete shape... How do you get tired from baseball...

Become Legendary.

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2011, 02:39:57 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Pretty ridiculous in a sport where you spend 95% of the time either sitting or standing around. 

I agree. It's not like baseball players have to be in pro athelete shape... How do you get tired from baseball...

Proathelete shape is different for all sports.  For each professional sport you are going to be in the shape that will help you to succeed the best in that sport.

"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2011, 02:46:10 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Eh, the baseball season is pretty grueling.  Even just the travel is bad enough, and it certainly takes a toll living out of a suitcase 80+ nights a year. 

I certainly understand why Jeter is tired, and I don't blame him for that.  I just feel like, given the special circumstances, he is letting the sport down a bit.

This could have been a very special day for the league, honoring one of the most beloved players and biggest stars in the game, just a couple days after an epic performance where he got his 3000th hit, on a homer, and in the middle of a 5-5 day. 

Instead, he pulls a lame excuse, and refuses to even show his face at the festivities.  In the grand scheme of things, it is certainly very minor, but for a guy billed the way he is, as a guy who "does things the right way", this was a more than a little disappointing.

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2011, 02:51:26 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Man. I am exhausted. I worked 14.75 hours today. I'm going to bed.  

Of all the things to criticize someone for, not playing in an All-Star Game would be somewhere near last on my list.  All the better for him and his team that he rests if that's what he wants to do.

I wish Kershaw, Kemp and Ethier had taken the same approach for the Dodgers - and they sadly don't even seem to have much to play for the second half of the season.
-sw

+1, Professor.  I'd have been happy if the C's all stars would have taken Jeter's position rather than playing in a meaningless pick-up game.  While the MLB all-star game actually has meaning...I have no problem with Jeter's position.

Jeter probably thinks there's somebody more deserving than his sizzling .270 3-24 first half. 

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2011, 09:11:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Of all the things to criticize someone for, not playing in an All-Star Game would be somewhere near last on my list.  All the better for him and his team that he rests if that's what he wants to do.

I wish Kershaw, Kemp and Ethier had taken the same approach for the Dodgers - and they sadly don't even seem to have much to play for the second half of the season.
-sw

+1, Professor.  I'd have been happy if the C's all stars would have taken Jeter's position rather than playing in a meaningless pick-up game.  While the MLB all-star game actually has meaning...I have no problem with Jeter's position.

Jeter probably thinks there's somebody more deserving than his sizzling .270 3-24 first half. 
Didn't the fans vote him in? Do the fans not matter?  Does he just kinda not owe them anything?

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2011, 09:20:51 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Double checked and if wiki is right Hank Aaron started the all-star game in the year he broke Babe Ruth's home runs record.

Do you think maybe he was emotionally and physically exhausted after getting death threats that year?  Didn't two total strangers run out and run with him? 

And Jackie Robinson started an all star game just two years removed from his major league debut.

If the all-star game was good enough for these guys I don't see why it's not good enough for guys today.

I don't think these guys should be in the same Hall with Jeter.  If you want to say apples and oranges I totally agree.

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2011, 10:59:13 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Maybe we should be applauding him.  He had no business playing in the game to begin with, whether he withdrew because he was hurt, tired, or knew he didn't belong, ultimately it was the right move.  He's not playing at an all-star level, he should be playing tonight.
do it

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2011, 11:18:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Josh Beckett. what a wuss pulling out after warm ups.  My knee is sore wah.  Don't want to risk injury in an exhibition WAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH.

Where is the outrage?  I mean at least Jeter pulled out in time for someone to replace him.  Beckett was the definition of last minute. 

I expect a full on reeming from those reeming Jeter.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2011, 07:15:29 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

-sw

Didn't the fans vote him in? Do the fans not matter?  Does he just kinda not owe them anything?

Nope.  The only thing he owes anyone is adherence to the terms memorialized in his contract, which as I understand it is a covenant between Jeter and the New York Yankees.

There is no reason that shouldn't be his first priority.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2011, 07:32:04 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Exhaustion?  He might as well have just chalked up his absence to "Indifference," or perhaps "Boredom."  What a lame excuse, especially when we're talking about a sport where the players sit or stand still for the majority of each game.

I mean, sit out of the All-Star game if you want -- though I tend to side with those who think he could have at least showed up and done introductions and a lazy at-bat -- but come up with a better excuse.

I think the league has to decide whether it really wants the All-Star game to be meaningful or not.  As a fan, all I can really do is scratch my head when I hear about a game crammed full of players who all make cameo appearances, half of whom are reserves selected for the big stars who didn't feel arsed to play another game of baseball over their break. 

Yet the game determines home field advantage for the World Series.  What?!

Either trim down the rosters (make All-Star mean more, make the in-game rosters more concrete) and solidify the game as meaningful, or turn the whole thing into a glitzy, goofy weekend of fun like the NBA All-Star weekend.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:39:49 AM by PosImpos »
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2011, 07:41:51 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Josh Beckett. what a wuss pulling out after warm ups.  My knee is sore wah.  Don't want to risk injury in an exhibition WAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH.

Where is the outrage?  I mean at least Jeter pulled out in time for someone to replace him.  Beckett was the definition of last minute. 

I expect a full on reeming from those reeming Jeter.
If he's lying then he should definitely be reemed. Is he ever called Captain America? Is he headed for the Hall of Fame?

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

-sw

Nope.  The only thing he owes anyone is adherence to the terms memorialized in his contract, which as I understand it is a covenant between Jeter and the New York Yankees.

There is no reason that shouldn't be his first priority.

-sw
True. But then the fans owe him nothing. They don't have to buy his shoes or gatorade or posters. They don't owe the Yankees the price of admission to watch players that won't play.

And sports writers don't owe him any Hall of Fame votes or anything else.