Author Topic: Jeter to miss all star game for "exhaustion"  (Read 27882 times)

Re: Jeter to miss all star game for "exhaustion"
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 01:29:16 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I wonder if the guy's name was Dustin Pedroia, we would even be having this conversation.

Doubtful.  ::)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 01:31:21 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
I wonder if the guy's name was Dustin Pedroia, we would even be having this conversation.

No because he's not the star that Jeter is.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 01:32:07 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

If Pedroia had hit his 3000th hit a couple days before the All Star game, I would certainly feel the same way.

In general, I could care less about these guys going to these things, but I just feel like, given the circumstances, Jeter should have showed up, so MLB could have promoted his major accomplishment.  

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 01:32:28 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sounds like grasping at straws to me.

The guy just came back from injury and played under the looming shadow and critical pressure of hitting 3000.  The baseball season is a long and arduous journey especially when you're playing for a team fighting for a playoff berth.  If he wants to take off the all star break, so be it.  

Can't he make an appearance though?  I am fine with him not wanting to play.  But is it really that arduous to take a private jet to Arizona, step out on the field for 5 minutes to acknowledge the fans who voted him in (despite the fact he really didn't deserve it), and then head home?

Or God forbid play 2 whole innings?  

And what do people mean "the critical pressure of hitting 3000 hits"?  How on Earth is that critical or pressure?  Do you really think he had lots of sleepless nights from that?

NFL guys are known to play in the Super Bowl (far far faaaarrr more pressure, and more physically difficult) and then play in the Pro Bowl a week later.  

And if he's so exhausted is he telling us he's not going to be partying till 3am on South Beach with about 30 women near him?  He's going to spend the break in a library or at a rest home or something?

Just admit it Jeter. I'm too cool for the all-star game so I'm taking a big dump on it.  

These players just don't belong in the same Hall of Fame with guys like Babe Ruth and Jackie Robinson.  Jackie Robinson dealt with intense pressure. Jeter didn't.  Babe Ruth partied twice as hard as Jeter, then hit twice as many home runs, at a time when health food and steroids were hot dogs and beer.  

I was raised reading about guys like Ted Williams that took multiple years off to fly fighter planes in two wars, then came back and played in an all-star game.  

Guys like Mantle who played through alcoholism and kept his mouth shut about it.

Jeter can't hold a candle to these guys. It's not like he's a family man and wants to spend time with the kids or something.

So I guess if you're not a family man or don't have kids, you're not entitled to take time off?  ::)

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 01:36:13 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

If Pedroia were dumb enough to say "I juuuusssttt caaann't go to the all-star game. I'm jjuusssttt tooooo tiiirrrred mommy" then people in New York would be having the exact same equally valid conversation.   

Except one difference is nobody uses the phrase Hall of Fame with Pedroia.  Sometimes Hall of Famers are held to high standards.

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 01:37:37 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
No offense or anything, but nobody really cares how many hours people you know work to support their families.  If that's what they need to do for themselves and their family then they do it.

Unlike the NBA ASG which has fines and team penalties, the MLB ASG is optional as is the NFL Pro Bowl.  So the players are given a choice.  Jeter doens't have to attend the ASG if he doesn't want to, period.  See the difference?

Didn't a guy named Tom Brady skip out on the Pro Bowl, and maybe even more than once.  I think it's been a recent trend for Pro Bowl selected Super Bowl participants to skip the game.    

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 01:39:02 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Sounds like grasping at straws to me.

The guy just came back from injury and played under the looming shadow and critical pressure of hitting 3000.  The baseball season is a long and arduous journey especially when you're playing for a team fighting for a playoff berth.  If he wants to take off the all star break, so be it.  

Can't he make an appearance though?  I am fine with him not wanting to play.  But is it really that arduous to take a private jet to Arizona, step out on the field for 5 minutes to acknowledge the fans who voted him in (despite the fact he really didn't deserve it), and then head home?

Or God forbid play 2 whole innings?  

And what do people mean "the critical pressure of hitting 3000 hits"?  How on Earth is that critical or pressure?  Do you really think he had lots of sleepless nights from that?

NFL guys are known to play in the Super Bowl (far far faaaarrr more pressure, and more physically difficult) and then play in the Pro Bowl a week later.  

And if he's so exhausted is he telling us he's not going to be partying till 3am on South Beach with about 30 women near him?  He's going to spend the break in a library or at a rest home or something?

Just admit it Jeter. I'm too cool for the all-star game so I'm taking a big dump on it.  

These players just don't belong in the same Hall of Fame with guys like Babe Ruth and Jackie Robinson.  Jackie Robinson dealt with intense pressure. Jeter didn't.  Babe Ruth partied twice as hard as Jeter, then hit twice as many home runs, at a time when health food and steroids were hot dogs and beer.  

I was raised reading about guys like Ted Williams that took multiple years off to fly fighter planes in two wars, then came back and played in an all-star game.  

Guys like Mantle who played through alcoholism and kept his mouth shut about it.

Jeter can't hold a candle to these guys. It's not like he's a family man and wants to spend time with the kids or something.

So I guess if you're not a family man or don't have kids, you're not entitled to take time off?  ::)
Entitled? To take time off when you have an entire off season every single year?  From one of the major events of your sport?  

I would have finished my thought here, but I'm a professional baseball player and I'm just too tired. I can't possibly be held to the same standards as the whole rest of the world.  But hey, I got a lot of hits so put me in the Hall of Fame or something.  I'll try not to be too tired to show up at my inauguration ceremony.

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 01:39:19 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He should have shown up even if he didn't want to play.  This was going to be "his" allstar game whether he played or not.  It's pretty bad that he is not going to show up at all, in my opinion.

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 01:40:34 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
No offense or anything, but nobody really cares how many hours people you know work to support their families.  If that's what they need to do for themselves and their family then they do it.

Unlike the NBA ASG which has fines and team penalties, the MLB ASG is optional as is the NFL Pro Bowl.  So the players are given a choice.  Jeter doens't have to attend the ASG if he doesn't want to, period.  See the difference?

Didn't a guy named Tom Brady skip out on the Pro Bowl, and maybe even more than once.  I think it's been a recent trend for Pro Bowl selected Super Bowl participants to skip the game.    
None taken. But did they say they were too tired?  If they did I get to laugh at them and call them wussies like they are.  Heaven forbid a guy work some overtime in their life.

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 01:46:34 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
Overall it is his decision, but I think he should have played.

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2011, 01:48:29 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Exactly and I haven't seen people get upset about that one.   Unlike the NFL, this all star game takes place in the middle of the regular season.  If he wants a few days away from the game, I have no qualms about it.

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 01:50:54 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

Exactly and I haven't seen people get upset about that one.   Unlike the NFL, this all star game takes place in the middle of the regular season.  If he wants a few days away from the game, I have no qualms about it.

Any other year I wouldn't have a problem over it, but i think with the 3,000 hit it would be good for the fans.  Either way it's his decision and as long as the MLB leaves it up as an option for the players then he has the right to not go.

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 01:53:35 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
idk why he would have considered playing in the first place after coming back from injury.

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 01:58:08 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

According to wiki he never skipped a Pro Bowl, and certainly he didn't come out and say "Oh I am jusssttt too tired"

He withdrew from the 2008 Pro Bowl after being whipped around like a doll the week before by Michael Strahan and Justin Tuck.  Maybe if Jeter takes some hits like that I wouldn't mind as much.

He also declined an injury replacement invitation in 2006. 

Not even close to the same thing. 

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 01:59:54 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110708&content_id=21592018&vkey=allstar2011

Jeter said that he is concerned about re-injuring his right calf, which cost him three weeks and delayed his pursuit of 3,000 hits.

Considering the guy just came back from injury it's likely he's not 100% yet, but healthly enough to play in meaningful games.  Can't see how you can fault him for his decision not to attend the ASG.  

BTW - He's not even deserving of the ASG this year so better off giving the slot to somebody who is.