Author Topic: Jeter to miss all star game for "exhaustion"  (Read 27860 times)

Jeter to miss all star game for "exhaustion"
« on: July 12, 2011, 01:18:45 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Wow. I tell ya what. Every time I think of an all time great I think of guys that just get too tired to play. Happens all the time. 

I'm pretty sure my wife works more than Jeter on a daily basis.

If I were a Hall of Fame voter I'd go to vote for them, then just get exhausted and never make it around to it.

Re: Jeter to miss all star game for "exhaustion"
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 01:21:18 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Man. I am exhausted. I worked 14.75 hours today. I'm going to bed. 

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 05:32:51 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Wow. I tell ya what. Every time I think of an all time great I think of guys that just get too tired to play. Happens all the time.  

If I were a Hall of Fame voter I'd go to vote for them, then just get exhausted and never make it around to it.

Yeah, something's up here ... there's something they're not reporting. What I want to know is: what is he exhausted from?!? Three hours of playing ball and an hour or two of practice, (if that)? Hmmmm ...
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Man. I am exhausted. I worked 14.75 hours today. I'm going to bed.  

Of all the things to criticize someone for, not playing in an All-Star Game would be somewhere near last on my list.  All the better for him and his team that he rests if that's what he wants to do.

I wish Kershaw, Kemp and Ethier had taken the same approach for the Dodgers - and they sadly don't even seem to have much to play for the second half of the season.

-sw
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 08:44:23 AM by Steve Weinman »

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 11:44:56 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Didn't Larry Bird skip the '91 All Star game to rest?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 11:48:02 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Guys comes back from injury and has all the media keying on him as he approaches a milestone and you think he isn't actually tired and could some rest.  Give me a break.  Nothing more then a typical Boston sports fan here, which is why you all have such a bad rap nationally.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 12:42:19 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Pretty ridiculous in a sport where you spend 95% of the time either sitting or standing around. 

I love baseball, but let's face it, it's barely more of a sport than golf. 

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 12:48:58 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yeah, something's up here ... there's something they're not reporting. What I want to know is: what is he exhausted from?!? Three hours of playing ball and an hour or two of practice, (if that)? Hmmmm ...

I don't think there is anything more to it than he wants to relax over the break.  And, while I don't blame him, I don't think this should be his choice.  He is paid enough (and gets a bonus for being selected as an All-Star) that he can fly to Arizona, and at least tip his cap to the fans if he doesn't want to actually play. 

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 12:53:44 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

I don't think there is anything more to it than he wants to relax over the break.  And, while I don't blame him, I don't think this should be his choice.  He is paid enough (and gets a bonus for being selected as an All-Star) that he can fly to Arizona, and at least tip his cap to the fans if he doesn't want to actually play. 

I was joking ... the "exhausted" thing is a typical professional sports synonym for "don't feel like playing in the silly All-Star game".
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 12:54:35 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sounds like grasping at straws to me.

The guy just came back from injury and played under the looming shadow and critical pressure of hitting 3000.  The baseball season is a long and arduous journey especially when you're playing for a team fighting for a playoff berth.  If he wants to take off the all star break, so be it.  

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 01:03:37 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

The guy just came back from injury and played under the looming shadow and critical pressure of hitting 3000.  The baseball season is a long and arduous journey especially when you're playing for a team fighting for a playoff berth.  If he wants to take off the all star break, so be it.  

Can't he make an appearance though?  I am fine with him not wanting to play.  But is it really that arduous to take a private jet to Arizona, step out on the field for 5 minutes to acknowledge the fans who voted him in (despite the fact he really didn't deserve it), and then head home?

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 01:14:37 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Can't he make an appearance though?  I am fine with him not wanting to play.  But is it really that arduous to take a private jet to Arizona, step out on the field for 5 minutes to acknowledge the fans who voted him in (despite the fact he really didn't deserve it), and then head home?

It really doesn't bother me.  These guys have a 162 game schedule.  If they really want that 3 day break in the middle of the season that bad, so be it. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 01:20:46 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Or God forbid play 2 whole innings?  

And what do people mean "the critical pressure of hitting 3000 hits"?  How on Earth is that critical or pressure?  Do you really think he had lots of sleepless nights from that?

NFL guys are known to play in the Super Bowl (far far faaaarrr more pressure, and more physically difficult) and then play in the Pro Bowl a week later.  

And if he's so exhausted is he telling us he's not going to be partying till 3am on South Beach with about 30 women near him?  He's going to spend the break in a library or at a rest home or something?

Just admit it Jeter. I'm too cool for the all-star game so I'm taking a big dump on it.  

These players just don't belong in the same Hall of Fame with guys like Babe Ruth and Jackie Robinson.  Jackie Robinson dealt with intense pressure. Jeter didn't.  Babe Ruth partied twice as hard as Jeter, then hit twice as many home runs, at a time when health food and steroids were hot dogs and beer.  

I was raised reading about guys like Ted Williams that took multiple years off to fly fighter planes in two wars, then came back and played in an all-star game.  

Guys like Mantle who played through alcoholism and kept his mouth shut about it.

Jeter can't hold a candle to these guys. It's not like he's a family man and wants to spend time with the kids or something.

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 01:25:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

It really doesn't bother me.  These guys have a 162 game schedule.  If they really want that 3 day break in the middle of the season that bad, so be it. 
Wow 162 whole 3 hour games.  I know a single mom who works 8 hours a day 250 days a week. I'm pretty sure she's exhausted, but she never actually says so.  I don't understand why Jeter who makes thousands of times more money than her with a fraction of the responsibility can't be held to the same standards.

Hey single mom. I know your kid would like to watch me in the all-star game cause I'm the only player he has a poster of and it's the one night you'll let the kid stay up all summer, thereby making things a little tougher for you the next day, but I'm just tooooo tired.  But when he gets older buy him my jersey or shoes or something.  Yawn.

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 01:28:26 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

For all that Jeter has given to the game I think he should have gone to give something back to the game that has given so much to him.  Baseball is hurting and needs as much help as it can get and needed Jeter at the game especially after his 3,000 hit.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce