Author Topic: Women's world cup  (Read 21553 times)

Women's world cup
« on: July 11, 2011, 09:44:11 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Is anyone following this tournament?

Japan's win over host and favorite Germany was spectacular.  The Japanese ladies played some pretty inspired football.

Abby Wambach's goal in the 122nd minute to tie the game against Brazil was the stuff of legends.  There was little doubt that the US would win the game in PKs after that.

I love world cup soccer, and the women's tournament has been fun to watch so far.   

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Re: Women's world cup
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 10:17:37 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I watched a bit of the France vs England match. The second half.

I wasn't that impressed by it. Very poor midfield play. Especially England who had no idea how to build an attack with short passing. Far too many long / direct passes. Ugly football. They couldn't contain the French attack either. Sliced open time and time again. Their shape, formation was poor and their technical ability was fairly low.

Both sides spent a freakish amount of time in the final third of each others box. It was like the middle of the park didn't exist (defense or attack).

Towards the end of normal time, the game was tied and went to extra time and eventually penalties, the two teams were knackered and had nothing left. With about 10 minutes to go in normal time (80 mins in). Not in good enough shape physically.

Anyway, I wasn't impressed by it. I'll try to catch the final and see how that goes.

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 12:15:36 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I haven't watched any of it, but from the sounds of it the USA-Brazil game was epic.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 12:19:50 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I haven't watched any of it, but from the sounds of it the USA-Brazil game was epic.
It was, the play wasn't amazing but the drama of it all and the cross to tie the game in the last minute of play? That was amazing.

I still can't believe FIFA still can't make up its [dang] mind which violation was called on the Penalty Kick for Brazil. They say it was Solo coming off the line (which she didn't) but elsewhere it is reported to be encroachment (which was correct though rarely called).

Then there was a handball that deserved a card on the US that was let go, and the offsides goal in extra time.

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 01:54:40 PM »

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218
I only saw the highlights of the U.S./Brazil game, but it looked like it was a good one.

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 02:23:42 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
not a fan of womens sports, i just cant get into it.  i support them and think it is great they have it, but from my own perspective as a fan...its just too boring for me.  not the most PC thing to say, but its how i feel.

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 02:50:33 PM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183
It was, the play wasn't amazing but the drama of it all and the cross to tie the game in the last minute of play? That was amazing.

I still can't believe FIFA still can't make up its [dang] mind which violation was called on the Penalty Kick for Brazil. They say it was Solo coming off the line (which she didn't) but elsewhere it is reported to be encroachment (which was correct though rarely called).

Then there was a handball that deserved a card on the US that was let go, and the offsides goal in extra time.

Encroachment is rarely called, but when the PK is defended and the player who encroached on the box is the one who ends up with the rebound it will be called more often than not. And unlike the announcers on TV said, having the full body inside the box at the time of the kick is a pretty significant encroachment.

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 03:15:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Encroachment is rarely called, but when the PK is defended and the player who encroached on the box is the one who ends up with the rebound it will be called more often than not. And unlike the announcers on TV said, having the full body inside the box at the time of the kick is a pretty significant encroachment.

I don't know about it being called regularly in that circumstance, I haven't seen it certainly. At least that call would be defensible.

Too bad FIFA held a press conference claiming the call was on Solo for leaving the line.

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 04:23:50 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I don't know about it being called regularly in that circumstance, I haven't seen it certainly. At least that call would be defensible.

Too bad FIFA held a press conference claiming the call was on Solo for leaving the line.
FIFA is the most corrupt organization in the sports world and has been for years.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 04:30:48 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 244
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
i watched it live it was a good game Brazil is overrated on the womens side...not physical enough and they only have about 5 decent players, the rest of them are not confident or either just used to players like Martha carrying them all the time...I was impressed with the US Team they deserved to win...

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 04:31:12 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

FIFA is the most corrupt organization in the sports world and has been for years.

Yeah, kind of like the United Nations of sports.

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 12:16:21 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
My problem with the call on the penalty kick violation is that if the call was encroachment on the US player entering the box early, then why did Solo end up getting the yellow card? 

I hate how the refs in soccer don't have to clearly state what the call was.  If there was a mistake made, admit to it.  If the ref feels like the call was legit, then explain it. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 01:16:31 AM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183
i watched it live it was a good game Brazil is overrated on the womens side...not physical enough and they only have about 5 decent players, the rest of them are not confident or either just used to players like Martha carrying them all the time...I was impressed with the US Team they deserved to win...

Women's soccer in Brazil is still a mostly amateur affair. Some of the Brazilian team don't even have a club, and a good chunk only play part time (the ones that play full time play in more than one league, generally). Just so you have an idea, Brazil played in one game this year before the world cup. A friendly against Chile, which is ranked 44th in the world. It's a shame, really, as the Brazilian federation is one of the richest in the world, but they spend next to nothing on the women's team.

Meanwhile, the US played no fewer than 11 games this year in preparation for the world cup, including games against Sweden, Japan, Norway and other nations in the world cup.

My problem with the call on the penalty kick violation is that if the call was encroachment on the US player entering the box early, then why did Solo end up getting the yellow card? 

I hate how the refs in soccer don't have to clearly state what the call was.  If there was a mistake made, admit to it.  If the ref feels like the call was legit, then explain it. 

That was pretty clearly for complaining. Moving before the kick is not punishable by a yellow card.

For all the endless complaining by the announcers, which was more a reaction as fans than as observers, none of those calls in that particular situation were bad calls. It was a penalty, it deserved a red card,  it was encroachment, and the cherry on top of the encroachment was that the woman who did it ended up with the rebound. A good ref is supposed to act precisely that way in that situation.

Where there were legit complaints against refereeing were as follows:
- The woman who intentionally handed the ball at midfield should have gotten a 2nd yellow and sent off.
- Brazil's second goal the woman who crossed the ball was offsides and that goal should not have counted.

All in all, the refereeing was a bit sub par, but nothing that warranted the endless bickering at espn. The US was a bit disadvantaged, but that particular offsides call is a hard one to make. Refereeing erred pro USA in 2004 and 2008, and against the US this time. Hats off for the women for keeping their composure and heart.

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 08:47:21 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
For all the endless complaining by the announcers, which was more a reaction as fans than as observers, none of those calls in that particular situation were bad calls. It was a penalty, it deserved a red card,  it was encroachment, and the cherry on top of the encroachment was that the woman who did it ended up with the rebound. A good ref is supposed to act precisely that way in that situation.

Whether it was a penalty or not is debatable. The defender was closer to the ball and got to it first, much of the contact was 50/50 and they were both holding each othe's uniforms.

Where there were legit complaints against refereeing were as follows:
- The woman who intentionally handed the ball at midfield should have gotten a 2nd yellow and sent off.

Did the handling break up an attack by Brazil? Intentionally handling the ball isn't necessarily a card.

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 08:59:41 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

The economist had a great article on this about a month ago. 
http://www.economist.com/node/18774796
(you might need a subscription to access the article).
Celtics fan for life.