Author Topic: best basketball duo  (Read 17674 times)

Re: best basketball duo
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2011, 12:02:06 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2011, 04:42:32 AM »

Offline Army_of_One_Nation

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 44
Alex English and Kiki Vandeweghe, Ralph Sampson and The Dream, Chris Mullin and Mitch Richmond (Tim Bug), Ray Williams and Micheal Ray Richardson, Elvin Hayes and Wes Unseld, Moses Malone and Dr. J, Gilmore and Gervin......but, the best was the chemistry between DJ and Larry Legend.
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end."
Larry Bird

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2011, 07:43:32 AM »

Offline jayhovaone

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Charles barkley and Dan marleje (suns)
Terry Cummings and jack Sickma (bucks)
Clyde drexler and terry Porter (trailblazers)
wilt Chamberlain and Jerry West (lakers)
Phil Jackson and what ever super team he took over.  BTW I hate that he got 9 rings for doing that crap.  Never built a winner.

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2011, 09:14:03 AM »

Offline CelticsFanNC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Dennis Johnson/Larry Bird

or

Bill Walton/Larry Bird
I just don't remember Larry Bird being part of a duo.  He was more into winning and trying to get everyone on the floor to fill their roles.  I wish I had a record of his assists.  I bet there is no player who received a great majority of his passes.  I remember that Danny and Kevin were the jesters, Chief was more of a loner, and although Larry admired DJ (and  later, Walton) and said so, I don't remember  reading that Larry was particularly close to anyone...on, or off, the court.  Of course, I am no expert, so if you have something that says otherwise, I love to see it.  Maybe it would be telling to see who pass to Larry the most, ha ha ha.

Even though I said McHale/Bird I kind agree with what you're saying.  Bird worked as well with the five other guys on the floor as any other Superstar I can remember except for maybe Magic.  Still McHale/Bird was as tough a duo of forwards to guard as any the NBA has ever seen or will ever see.  

If we disqualify Bird by saying he wasn't really a part of a duo because he got everyone involved then I think we'd also have to disqualify Jordan as a duo because he often times dominated the ball and didn't get anyone else involved.  
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 09:31:31 AM by CelticsFanNC »

greatest of all-time....
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2011, 09:44:56 AM »

Offline CelticsFanNC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
   There have been so many amazing basketball player who all effected the game in different ways and played in different era's with varying levels of competition and talent on their own teams.  Due to that it is kind of hard for me to say what duo or even what individual player in the greatest of all-time.

Jordan was the greatest individual player in NBA history, individual being the key word.  He is the only guy I have ever seen who could dominate the ball and still win multiple NBA titles.  Bird was the greatest team oriented superstar I have ever seen hands down.  Bill Russell by most accounts is the greatest defender of all-time because he dominated games on that end like no other has and he won more then anyone else ever has or probably ever will. 

To me I find it increasingly difficult to say this or that guy is the greatest of all-time because none of the greats played exactly the same role with equal amounts of help against equal competition.  I know in this era, with 24 hours sports coverage these conversations happen all too often. 

« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2011, 11:06:55 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
There are no rules...just your opinion. What duo did you get the biggest kick out of watching.  If for you it was Walton/Bird, so be it!  For me it was Malone/Stockton, and they never won a championship!  When they were on thre floor, I couldn't take my eyes off them...even if they were playing against the Celts, the Lakers or the Bulls...win or lose.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2011, 01:28:23 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
I know they don't get a whole lot of love, but I think Pierce and Antoine may have been one of the best Duo's to play for the Celtics ever.  Maybe not THE best, but up there.  They really did lack the players around them necessary to do anything.

During the 08-09 Season, when the C's opened the season with the best 30 game record to start a season ever, Rondo to KG was reminiscent of Stockton to Malone.  It was like 2-3 alley oops a game...

Man, looking back on that start of the 08-09 Season, it's sad to think how dominant the Celtics would have been the last few seasons if KG hadn't have been injured...  I feel like we would have had a 3-Peat for sure.

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2011, 01:43:54 PM »

Offline KevinConnor

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
Maravich & Maravich!

Pete would have loved to pass to himself!

« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2011, 06:53:28 PM »

Offline Army_of_One_Nation

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 44
Maravich & Maravich!

Pete would have loved to pass to himself!

He did.
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end."
Larry Bird

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2011, 09:18:17 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.

...Joel Anthony and Mario Chalmers...Together, they are UNSTOPPABLE! Without each other, they are completely useless. The most dynamic duo of all time.Along with the 3 point phenom, James Jones, they form the Miami Big 3.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2011, 12:16:14 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Two things that do not surprise me here.

A....No Lebron and anyone else mentions

B.....No Tim Duncan and anyone else mentions. Tim Duncan gets less respect than Don Corleone showed Fanucci.

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2011, 04:04:00 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

'nuff said  ;D
- LilRip

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2011, 10:48:35 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

B.....No Tim Duncan and anyone else mentions. Tim Duncan gets less respect than Don Corleone showed Fanucci.

I think about 4 people have already mentioned Duncan

He really hasn't been a part of a great duo in my opinion. He was just  a stellar player and has always been a top dog much like KG

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2011, 11:33:41 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584

He really hasn't been a part of a great duo in my opinion. He was just  a stellar player and has always been a top dog much like KG
Everyone sees things differently, but I thought Robinson/Duncan was a terrific duo...and helped shape Duncan into the player he is today.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2011, 01:32:46 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

After the original poster there was one Duncan/Robinson.  The guy has 4 rings. I thought he'd get more mentions.