Author Topic: Best NBA journeyman ever?  (Read 15631 times)

Re: Best NBA journeyman ever?
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2011, 09:06:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't think folks like Shaq, Mcadoo, etc., should be eligible for this.  They played for many teams, but were not really journeymen.  They were too good for that.   

NBA journeyman is  a hard category to define, but that makes this a great question.  I say Rodman.  I can see the argument that a journeyman couldn't possibly be hall of fame material, by definition, but I think the key point about a journeyman is that he never becomes a master.  He can become very, very good at what he does, but never a master.  I think that means that he never becomes someone who can run a job, who can oversee a whole job.  In NBA terms, then, we are talking about a player who can have enormous impact, but would never be someone you could consider building a team around.  

Rodman.
did you just call the best rebounder in history and an all time great defender someone that didn't master his craft.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2011, 09:08:34 AM »

Offline Shots

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
Definitely not the best journeyman ever, but he deserves a mention nonetheless!

Drew Gooden

9 teams. 11.9 PPG, 7.8 RPG. That looks sort of good, serviceable big man for sure. If you then look at what he has achieved, this must be the epitome of hollow stats.

If I had to nominate someone, it would have to be Dennis Rodman. He was a serviceable guy on some title teams (Bulls, Pistons), while not being anything close to a centerpiece. I'm certain he's in the top 5 of best defensive PFs and rebounders ever, which is rather good for a guy, who bounced around a bit.

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2011, 09:18:11 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
kevin willis.
NOW we're getting somewhere.  How about the additional restriction that the player cannnot have been an all-star or MVP?

Corliss Williamson.

That's a good one (the big nasty!), but depends on the interpretation of the OP's rules.  I think he played for 4 teams (but one of those teams (SAC) was a two different points in his career).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2011, 09:51:04 AM »

Offline Newguy

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 13
kevin willis.
NOW we're getting somewhere.  How about the additional restriction that the player cannnot have been an all-star or MVP?

Corliss Williamson.

That's a good one (the big nasty!), but depends on the interpretation of the OP's rules.  I think he played for 4 teams (but one of those teams (SAC) was a two different points in his career).

To be honest, my "5 team" rule was a bit arbitrary.  I didn't have any other definitions for what a "true" journeyman" is. 

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2011, 10:24:45 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Joe Smith for sheer number of teams, Tony Massenburg, (especially including international play), and Chucky Brown, too, but best would have to be Moses Malone or Chris Webber, (also Rodman, Ellis, Mcadoo, and Rick Barry).
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2011, 10:30:15 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
See, I don't think a journeyman should be considered for the Hall of Fame.

??? Why Kc

even shaq
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2011, 11:42:35 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
There's lots of Euro journey men

I think I'll go with Arvydas Sabonis.

Then there's Gerald Green and Joe Forte.

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2011, 12:08:56 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Kurt Thomas

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2011, 12:40:39 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Robert Horry.  His rings speak to that.

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2011, 12:55:45 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

Why not?  Most people in here think a stat hound team wrecker like Iverson is a lock. 

I'd sooner nominate a multiple champion journeyman. 

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2011, 01:08:54 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Robert Horry.  His rings speak to that.
TP,when i posted my choice i was thinking more on the lines of active,unhearlded players but Horry is a better choice overall when it comes to a player that added the most into winning championships.Winning it all is what is boils down to in the end. No other nonstarter has given their team a bigger boost than Big Shot Rob when it counted.

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2011, 04:04:58 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Shaq is really the only top 10-15 player who played for more than 3-4 teams so technically I'd consider him the "best."  The dude was just never on a bad team (the player-equivalent of Phil Jackson).  He played with 4 separate MVPs (plus DWade), 3 of which were in his last 3 years in the league.  Always seemed to be looking for the next big team.

Otherwise I'd go with John Salley who won four championship rings, with three different teams, in three different decades and two different millenniums.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2011, 04:16:58 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Why not?  Most people in here think a stat hound team wrecker like Iverson is a lock. 

My point was that if the phrase "journeyman"-- which means someone who is skilled in a craft but not a master-- is attached to you it should by definition preclude you from the Hall of Fame.

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2011, 04:34:59 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584

My point was that if the phrase "journeyman"-- which means someone who is skilled in a craft but not a master-- is attached to you it should by definition preclude you from the Hall of Fame.
I don't see it that way.  I think of it as a mercenary (journeyman) vs. a franchise player.  The journeyman can be just as good...just not as permanent.  It takes a lot of self- confidence to forgo long guaranteed contracts and shop yourself around...
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2011, 04:35:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Shaq is really the only top 10-15 player who played for more than 3-4 teams so technically I'd consider him the "best."  The dude was just never on a bad team (the player-equivalent of Phil Jackson).  He played with 4 separate MVPs (plus DWade), 3 of which were in his last 3 years in the league.  Always seemed to be looking for the next big team.

Otherwise I'd go with John Salley who won four championship rings, with three different teams, in three different decades and two different millenniums.
Moses Malone played on 7 teams 8 different times (he hit Philly twice) and that doesn't even include his 2 different ABA teams.  Probably not a top 15 player all time, but I'd put him at #6 of centers all time (behind Wilt, Russ, Kareem, Hakeem, and Shaq).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip