Author Topic: Rumor: Cavs on verge of trading Hickson for Casspi  (Read 10556 times)

Re: Rumor: Cavs on verge of trading Hickson for Casspi
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2011, 04:25:29 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
This move obviously doesn't do much for the short term, but i'm really looking forward to watching this team play a few times.  Freddette/Evans/Cousins/Hickson/Salmons/Isaiah Thomas - that's a fun little group.  They might turn the ball over a billion times but there should be a good amount of thunderous dunks, deeeeep threes, and angry scowels peppered in, too.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2011, 04:32:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Hickson is supposedly the player they wouldn't trade for Amare (although I always doubted that a bit).
This has never been true.  The Cavs were always willing to include Hickson in a trade for Amare.  The year before they were not willing to include him in the trade for Shaq.  I think the rumor they wouldn't part with him was created by people that have always disliked Lebron and used to show he has so much pull.  Ultimately, it was the Suns that backed out of the trade, not the Cavs, and the Cavs were absolutely willing to and ready to trade Hickson.

Here are some links

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4913305

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4924306
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Hickson is supposedly the player they wouldn't trade for Amare (although I always doubted that a bit). 
I thought Steve Kerr has flatly said that the Cavs weren't holding out on Hickson in that proposed trade. Instead the Suns were dickering over whether or not to stay with Amar'e and decided to punt and make another playoff run with him.
Absolutely true.  Suns pulled out of the deal.  Suns ended up close to a trade with Houston, which the Suns thought was a better deal.  Supposedly Houston wouldn't waive physicals and the deal fell through.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2011, 05:51:54 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
This move obviously doesn't do much for the short term, but i'm really looking forward to watching this team play a few times.  Freddette/Evans/Cousins/Hickson/Salmons/Isaiah Thomas - that's a fun little group.  They might turn the ball over a billion times but there should be a good amount of thunderous dunks, deeeeep threes, and angry scowels peppered in, too.

I don't know man, I gotta say I disagree. I think that's going to be some ugly basketball, with a lot of guys getting real ticked off.

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2011, 06:00:28 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I don't know man, I gotta say I disagree. I think that's going to be some ugly basketball, with a lot of guys getting real ticked off.

I look forward to hearing the Kings have resigned Dalembert to a 5 year, $55 million deal, because they can't find anyone else willing to take their money this offseason.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2011, 06:58:45 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Yes. They were absolutely painful to watch last year, particularly on defense, and this promises to be even worse.

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2011, 09:19:14 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Yes. They were absolutely painful to watch last year, particularly on defense, and this promises to be even worse.

Yeah.  It's too bad, too, because I like Tyreke and DMC, but the Kings are not doing a good job of putting the right kind of players around them.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2011, 09:39:12 PM »

Offline FrDrake

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
This probably had as much to do with their salaries as with talent.  Hickson's player option comes up in the '12-13 season while Casspi's option comes up in '13-14.

Cleveland won't have cap space until '12-13 and wouldn't want to waste it on an average player like Hickson or renounce his rights for nothing (again assuming current salary cap rules.)

With Casspi they can postpone a decision about an extension for another year and it won't affect their salary space the year prior.

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2011, 09:43:05 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I was not aware that the Kings were capable of trading draft picks that aren't heavily-protected second-rounders.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2011, 10:34:08 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2011, 11:15:59 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I think their better off trading Hickson for Jason Thompson. Pretty much the same athlete but 2 inches taller.

They could've played Tristan Thompson and Antawn at SF. Oh well, I think this was a bad move by Cleveland.

As for Jason Thompson, let's trade BBD for him.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2011, 02:55:49 AM »

Offline Celticai

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7

Yeah.  It's too bad, too, because I like Tyreke and DMC, but the Kings are not doing a good job of putting the right kind of players around them.

They may be good athletes, but they lack BBall IQ. Don't see them getting very far counting purely on their physical talents. This SAC group needs a leader. A smart, paced leader (Don't see Tyreke as one).

As for the Casspi trade - He just went from one crappy team to another. Let's see how he's doing in a starting role.

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2011, 09:27:04 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
 JT?
now that they have hickson and DMC, JT may be expendable.
i just can't figure out how to pry him loose.
the MD trade exception?
means little to a team 13 to 15 mil under the cap.
baby? redundant
green? no 3 on the bench...
gotta get us some jason thompson